Any idea about Amniocentesis test ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by indumathy_77, May 21, 2008.

1. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls help

Hello dear moms amd moms to be,

I am in a great confusion so I need your help.

I visited my OB yesterday , it was my 2nd prenatal visiting to the doctor.

She said that every thing is normal and baby is also growing properly , so Everything is fine .

But she explained and asked me whether I would like to go through
    Nuchal translucency screening,(

it is a test which is done in the 1rst trimester , Prenatal Screening for Down Syndrome)
    o detect the DOWNSYNDROME, or any chromosomal defect in child.

This test is not available in all part of world,

This test gives you chance to know any abnormality in your baby.

She also told me that its a quite personal decision , many woman do now want to go through it, but many do want to know in advance for any down syndrome( including trisomy 18 etc or other birth defect) though the chances of this in my case is negligible as I am not above 35 as she said)

I would like to know your experience about all.here is the link if you want to know more about this The First Trimester Test | Women & Infants Providence, RI

Please help me and guide me.
    thanks
    regards
    sangeeta

2. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls help

Hello dear moms amd moms to be,
    I am in a great confusion so I need your help.

I visited my OB yesterday , it was my 2nd prenatal visiting to the doctor.

She said that every thing is normal and baby is also growing properly , so Everything is fine .

But she explained and asked me whether I would like to go through
    Nuchal translucency screening,(

it is a test which is done in the 1rst trimester , tPrenatal Screening for Down Syndrome)
    o detect the DOWNSYNDROME, or any chromosomal defect in child.

This test is not available in all part of world,

This test gives you chance to know any abnormality in your baby.

She also told me that its a quite personal decision , many woman do now want to go through it, but many do want to know in advance for any down syndrome( including trisomy 18 etc or other birth defect) though the chances of this in my case is negligible as I am not above 35 as she said)

I would like to know your experience about all.here is the link if you want to know more about this The First Trimester Test | Women & Infants Providence, RI

sangeeta me.
    me and guide

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls

Sangeetha,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    NT can be done from 11 weeks to 13 weeks and 6 days of pregnancy. This measures the fluid under the skin at the back of the baby's neck and can be used to determine your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome
    The blood test measures:
    - Free(beta)hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin)
    - PAPP-A (pregnancy-associated plasma protein- A).
    A woman who is carrying a baby with Down syndrome will have abnormal levels of these two substances in her blood. If you are pregnant with more than one baby, you may choose to do the combined test but you must inform the lab where you are having the blood test done that you are carrying multiples, in order for them to appropriately correct the values of these markers.

4. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Re: Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls

Hi Priya thanks for your reply and information,
    The doctor told me about this test .

But I am confused if I should go for this or not.

I need from the mom;s personal experience if they have gone though this .
    regards
    sangeeta

5. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi sangeeta,
    first of all,congrats on your pregnancy and wishing you a very safe and healthy one too..

i had done the NT test during my pregnancy and so did my sister in law,,this test is nothing but a scan which checks the thickness of the skin fold and fluid near the neck of the baby to detemine if there are any genetic abnormalities,,although this test is a marker but it doesnt give 100% results for the presence or absecnce of abnormalities,,based on the result,your doc may either suggest you further specific tests like CVS or amnio but those are only if the doc feels so with the results..though it is a trend to suggest NT tests to women above 35 years of age /previous history of abnormalities in family,,these days doctors suggest the tests for abnormalities to every pregnant woman.

NT is non invasive and hence there is no harm in going for it,,its not a invasive test and doesnt cause any discomfort to you or the baby..

6. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Thank you so much Arthi, your words really relaxed me a lot,

Now I know what I have to do, will be in touch with you after having this test , thanks a load again.Wish me luck that everything comes fine.
    regards
    sangeeta

7. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi sangeetha

loads of luck and wishes too...dont worry too much about anything and just relax,,i am sure everything will be as normal as ever...

all the best
    aarthi

8. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

thanks dear.:)

9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

They took for me the same test while i was 10-11weeks. We were comfortable with it, as we can be relax to know about our foetus condition inside...

Nothing to worry...no pain..just they will measure the fluid level behind the neck of foetus...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  10. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sangeeta,
    This is a very simple test done in ur 11-13 week. In this test they just do an ultra sound to take some measurements and then a blood test to detect any chromosonal defects. This is an optional test here too but I got it done as it was covered by my insurance.
    -Priya
    [​IMG]