1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any cure/home remedy for cough/cold and stomach infection in cycles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by AprilLisa, Apr 21, 2015.

1. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My 4.5 year old is suffering from cough/cold and stomach infection in cycles. He suffers from cough/cold, and when it is cured, he gets stomach infection, once i give medicines for that and it is cured, cold comes back, and this goes in cycle. Any cure/home remedy for this? i am tired of giving him medicines. I am looking for curing it with modulating his food habits or through home remedies. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

1) Does the cold/cough move to fever - slow starting high fever?
    2) do you give antibiotics for that?
    3) When you say stomach infection - is it diarrhea ?

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Colds and stomach bugs are usually viruses so there are no effective medicines (except for giving some pain relief etc). Hand washing is one of the key elements preventing infections. Children have the habit of touching everything so wash hands when come inside, before eating, after bathroom etc. If he is in daycare/playschool discuss the handwashing routines there.

1 person likes this.
  4. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

1. Cold/cough with mild fever...palms will be warm. it never goes to high, as i start medicines and home remedies, before that itself.
    2. Mostly no, not always. When it doesn't go away and gives me a scare only then i take him to doctor and they give antibiotics.
    3. Its not diarrhea exactly, its bloating, stomach pain, no interest in food, slight loose stool twice a day.

5. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

This is a concern i have not been able to address properly. He goes to a day care. They make him to do hand wash, but he might not be doing it properly. i guess i have to keep trying.

6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Check out some home remedies (or ayurveda or Homeo) to build immunity
    Give iron rich foods, include amla, citrus when he doesn't have cold.
    You cannot control every type of situation in day care, but you can improve his reactions to it.

Also, get a urine culture test - maybe there are some bacteria that are not fully eliminated but also not enough to cause infections so just in the troubling range!

sindmani and AprilLisa like this.
  7. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

yes you are right. i give him oranges, apples, beans, spinach, capsicum regularly.

some time back we had got his urine culture done, and antibiotics were also given post that, but after that we haven't got a 2nd culture done. maybe we should get that done to be sure that the germ no more exists. good idea, thank you.

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

If in Bangalore, and this cycle of cold/cough stomach ache persists even after the 2nd culture test, do check out a reputed for kids Homeo doctor - they have banalore specific plans for this very problem !!

Specific allergens and low immunity due to lack of sun is common in Bangalore kids - they grow out of it at age 10-11

sindmani and AprilLisa like this.
  9. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

thank you hrastro!! I will definitely look for some homeo doctor for this them. Yes he had Vitamin D deficiency at one point, due to lack of sun.

10. Maah

Maah New IL'ite

Hi, my son went through something similar the first year of his life. i also stopped taking him to doctors and found easy Indian home remedies. One for coughs and colds is hot jalebies. It is sweet and they like it. But just taste yourself so it is as hot as they can handle but not too hot to burn their tender mouths. This remedy dries up the mucous (kapha). Instead, you can take one cup cows' milk and add a bit of haldi, enough to make yellow but not overdone. Cook this down to half cup. It will be a bit thick. Once it is room temperature (no longer hot), add a pinch of salt. Taste it, it should taste bit salty but not so it tastes bad and give it to him 3 times that day. Away from food. Do it for 3 days. You will be very happy. This remedy causes mucous to liquify and pass out in the stools. Sorry i do not have stomach infection remedy but these cold/cough remedies should keep the cold cough away so maybe you won't need to handle a stomach infection. Please do NOT let him eat cold items like icecream or ice blocks or yogurt while he is having kapha problem (cough/cold). You might find cold items bring on cold attack. What you are calling stomach infection is most likely the good bacteria in the gut being destroyed by antibiotics. For replenishing the gut bacteria after using antibiotics we need to take a good quality probiotic regularly for a few weeks, both kids and adults. Good luck. Hare Krishna.

2 people like this.