Any animal lovers or vegans in the forum?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by sumiram, Dec 10, 2007.

1. sumiram

sumiram New IL'ite

Hi,

I love animals. I used to do what little I could, to help these beautiful creatures. But after marriage, I was too obsessed with my own life that I have stopped going to blue cross or doing something useful for the animals. However, I'm interested in getting acquainted with animal lovers and knowing their experience and the work they do. Are there animal lovers or vegans in this forum?

Regards,
    Sumi

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I am an ardent animal lover, but, I do not do anything for them due to extreme time constraint. Whenever I see people harassing a animal I make noise and stop them. Whenever I see people walk their dogs I befriend them and the doggy too. I watch Animal Planet regularly. My friends send me pictures of animals. They are the best forms of Gods creation on earth.

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sumi

the birds
    the bees
    the butterflies
    and the
    animals...
    ya love them all..
    there is something very nice about them
    they are innocent
    dont hurt us
    even when we hurt them
    they dont...!

i leave a pot of water
    in my garden
    for the birds squirrels......and
    to bathe drink of have fun

some eats for
    the crows the sparrows
    and other chirp chirps ....
    a whole tree full of koval trails
    for those screeching parrots...

not to mention....?
    the papaya, guavas, coconuts
    and mangoes...
    for the monkeys...
    wish the monkeys
    knew we want some of the fruits
    and nuts for us too...!

sathya

4. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hiya

atlast someone who talks a language thats closest to my heart !!

welcome to my group Sumi.

I am crazy about animals...I am a life time member of the Blue Cross.. have a dog adopted from the Blue cross.. I visit Blue cross regularly .. Joshua's birthday is celebrated with his "friends" at the Blue cross.

So lovely to know somebody is also interested ...

cheers

Bhooma

5. sumiram

sumiram New IL'ite

Hi all,

Nice to meet all the animal lovers. Yes, I used to love watching animal planet. Used to be such a great fan of Steve Irwin!

You have dedicated a wonderful poem, Satya to our little friends.

Hi Booma, long time since I visited blue cross. When stayed near Avadi I used come from there to Besant nagar and after they shifted to Velachery to visit blue cross. Now, I stay in Velachery, but not going there. I feel so painful seeing them there, although I know I'm being an escapist. If possible, please let me know before you visit blue cross next time. I'll try to come there too. So, when is Joshua going to have his next b'day??? My kisses to the little darling.

Regards,
    Sumithra

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi! dear friends of the animal kingdom,

I belong to your tribe too and am especially partial to the canines.From the time I can recollect,we have always had some lovable member of the canine family in our home.We have had all types of breeds,pedigreed,and mixed up ones,long haired ones and short haired ones all through the years.Fortunately having married into a dog loving family,I continued to nourish my fascination for these lovable four legged creatures.I cannot imagine a day without my devoted companions...what would life be without stroking their velvet fur or gazing into their limpid brown eyes so full of devotion and pure infinite love!
    Here's a little poem I came across while browsing...I'm sure every dog crazy person would like to agree wholeheartedly with these declarations of a kindred soul!

DOGS LIVE HERE

If you don't want to be greeted with paws and swinging tails don't come inside
    because dogs live here.
    If you don't like the feel of a cold nose or a wet tongue,don't come inside
    because dogs live here.
    If you don't want to step over many scattered toys,don't come inside
    because dogs live here.
    If you think a home ought to smell of perfume,don't come inside
    because dogs live here.
    If you don't mind all of this,you will be instantly loved when you come inside,
    because dogs live here.
    .:welcome
    Author unknown

Please do tell us more of the activities at Blue Cross.

I have two dogs one male Labrador (colour - fawn) 11/2 years old called ROMEO
    and a female SPITZ ( colour-pure white) called Juliet 12 years old but still active.
    We had a male spitz as Juliets pair earlier ,but he passed away last year and then we got the Lab.They are both adorable and very entertaining.
    Hope to exchange notes on dogs or any other pets.
    :wavePAULINA

7. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Paulina

I have copied the "poem" that you have sent and would like to hang it in a prominent place at home !!

you cant step into my house without tripping over a dog toy.. you cant sit for ten minutes without joshua running inside and proudly fetching one of his toys for you to play with him !! ofcourse he identifies most of the toys ... oops.. i am rambling and i am sure other ILites are going to clobber me :)

Hi Sumi... joshua celebrates his birthday on 13th January.. you can definitely visit with me when i visit the Blue Cross next.

Cheers

Bhooma

We will meet at Pushpavallis house for the meet ?

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Well, at last I have got a place to ask my doubts about pets.
    I like dogs but not cats. My music teacher used to have a beautiful golden coloured, furry cat. It would come near me, put a paw on my lap (we would be sitting on the floor for the classes) an if I did not object, she would curl up snuggly and go to sleep. And it would have been heavenly for her, I would be tapping on my lap (thaalam) for the 1 hour and she would ne very comfortable. When the class was over, I would lift her and she would stretch her limbs.
    We also used to see the kittens getting hyper at anything and every thing and sometimes would shriek when they jumped on us.
    Some of my neighbours had dogs and they would be friendly with me, my father was loved by dogs.
    Even last week when we went to Grand Sweets shop at Anna Nagar, a lady was with her pomerenian dog. This one came straight to me and stood looking at me in a friendly manner. That lady asked her pet if he knew me or has he seen me before. He seemed very friendly.
    Now my doubt- is it healthy to keep the animals inside the house, let them sleep on our beds, let them lick us all over and all that? Would it not be dangerous with little children in the house, won't it affect their health?

9. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

It is great to hear someone asking about animals ,especially about dogs.After the post by Bhooma regarding animal lovers, which very few of us were enthusiastic to respond,I thought that nobody really cared much about dogs.
    I am an ardent fan of all breeds of dogs.We have two at home at present.
    Your question about the hygeine angle regarding dogs being kept inside our homes and sleeping on beds etc., is very valid.It is true that it is not advisable if there are babies and toddlers around,unless you can make sure that the kids and pet dogs have separate areas cordoned off ,so that kids don't pick up stuff fallen on the floor and put it into their mouths.
    The pets have to be groomed well and bathed and brushed and you have to check to see that they do not have any skin infections.They have to be dewormed every month, and their vaccinations have to be done systematically under the care of a good vet,whether your pet dog is highly pedigreed or just a mongrel.Having a pet dog
    is a lot of work too...but their loyalty and love is worth all the trouble you take.
    When you have small kids,it is not an easy task to raise a pet dog,unless you have other helping hands to handle them.Once the children are old enough to understand then it becomes an enjoyable pastime for the whole family.
    About sleeping on our beds,it is not a great idea .Our dogs do jump up sometimes
    but they obey when they are told to get down.They have their own little mattresses under our beds and they sleep there.They are generally well behaved and are great companions especially since our children are away.We have always had dogs at home ever since I can remember and both sides of our families are dog fans .
    Regards,

PAULINA:wave:

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear paulina,
    thanks for the detailed reply. Even if I have not had a pet in my life (except a very short stint during my teens- there was a flood and we could not save that puppy. Recently my paternal uncle had gone to Kasi etc. for the religious rites of the deceased and he remembered that puppy while he did the rites to all those departed souls he knew, very kind of him), I like them very much. As you have said, the unselfish love and affection and loyalty they show is great. Just give a handful of food to a stray dog and it comes to you wagging its tail.
    There was a doberman of a very wealthy neighbor. They always used to keep their gates locked becaue it was ferocious. My father used to visit them often and he had a very wonderful way with dogs- even a ferocious dog coming to attack would stop on its track if Daddy comes in front.If and when the gate is open, that doberman would come straight to our house and would just sit at the door. The servant would come to our house and the dear would go with him only if Daddy tells it to.
    My neighbour had a pet (I do not know its breed, it is a pure breed) and she loved him like a son. She had to go out of station for her daughter's marriage, she made arrangements for a friend to take this pet home. But he made such a ruckus that he was brought back and myself and the house owner took care till she came. I am not used to him , but I talked to him soothingly and made him eat till she came back.
    Unfortunately, she died in a fire accident and this fellow sat at the balcony and cried his heart out for many days.
    I do not want to keep one now because of the amount of care it needs. Also we go out of town often and I know it is really very difficult for a dog to be alone, it is like one's own child.
    Would look into this thread for more news of your pets.