1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another marriage thread..Help will be much appreciated

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by blackbeauty84, Apr 1, 2012.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,
    As most of u would have known I'm soon to be 28 divorcee looking for a suitable match again. I can across a guy couple of weeks before. He's 29 year old & unmarried. His parents are divorced(his dad was alcoholic& abusive) & he is brought up by his mother. He comes across as a very nice guy. But the catch is that if we proceed together, he doesn't want anybody else other than his mother to know I'm a divorcee. When i asked him the reason about it he said he doesn't want anybody to talk bad about me.
    I'm getting a feel that he is bit ashamed to marry a divorcee & that's why he is saying like that. I'm also not sure how long can one hide such a fact. What if his extended relatives came to know by some other source. I'm bit confused. I'm not sure whether I'm over-thinking or my concerns valid. Any input on it will be appreciated.

2. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Always it is better not to hide the facts. If his relatives later come to know about it they will think you are the one hiding the facts from him. That might lead to lots of problems. If he is a really good guy, go ahead, take time to convince him on this fact. Don't be in a hurry to decide.

Good luck
    Ganthi

3. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hi, i would relly appriciate his thought..
    see its better for the relatives mouths to be shut...
    you make them gossip by giving them all the forgotten bad things???

And its hi time that you too forget this....

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Need to know basis should suffice. Why give all relatives a chance to question or dig out all details of your divorce? Remember his parents are divorced and he must have undergone immense trauma as a child. The relatives must have given them sleepless nights, if he wants to keep them at an arms distance then so be it.
    Maybe he will want a simple quiet wedding with few relatives attending .

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with him. You need not put all your personal details out in the open, that includes his relatives too. Such issues should be strictly on a need to know basis.

If there is a loose tongue among his relatives who cannot behave with tact, then you might end up getting hurt. Maybe he wants to protect you from such situations.

6. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

You need not open anything about your divorce in front of his relatives, but that cannot solve the problem. They will come to know through various sources. You ask him how will it be possible to hide it in the long run.

Tell about the possibilities and if he would feel ok if someone questions about this after marriage.

7. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

I don't think there is anything wrong about the boys thought since he has experienced such a phase by seeing his parents. He absolutely understands what a women goes through due to divorce and what the world talks.
    I think he is being fair and just . Anyways you want to move on with your life why do you want to think of your past . I don't now why and how you got divorced but why thnk about it when you want to re marry.
    If you find the guy really worth it I think go ahead and stop thinking of relatives people can only talk ... And they will continue talking I'll . It's your life . As far your would be mil, would be hubby are comfortable . Hell with the world.

8. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I feel that it is ok for him to hide.. He is accepting as how u and relatives should not matter u. After remarriage u dont really want some one to ask u about the past.U both can have a simple marriage and ask your relatives not to discuss about your personal stuff in your marriage. Make this point clear to him that "you are not responsible if any of your relatives talk ill about u to them". One of my divorced guy collegue got married to a widower. He only shared this to me and no one else knows. It is your private life and u are open to the new guy and his parents that is what matters most. All the best.

9. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

He seems like a nice guy!!Go for it!Why do you care about what his relatives would think...when he himself knows what are the repercussions of being truthful?

10. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,
    Thanks a lot for your replies. It's impossible to forget my past & best i could do is make peace with it. I'm a divorcee for some reason and that's a fact. I'm not ashamed about it & at the same reason don't want to advertise this to the world.
    I really do appreciate his concerns. I know him for last 15 days & he would have mentioned about it some five or six times.But what worries me is that how long this will remain as a secret. His uncle & mom's sister are living in the same compound as where he is living. I don't know how he is going to handle things if they know about it.That's where my real worry is.

If I like someone I'm ready to do a court marriage also. Hiding this fact is NOT AT ALL a problem to me. But I'm sure being living physically c;loser with relatives, it's not easy to hide it.