Another gang rape: this time in Mumbai

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Aug 23, 2013.

1. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

sdiva20 , Do you remember this thread?

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ction/202470-my-thoughts-delhi-gang-rape.html

Sadly , the poster has come up with another similar thread ,similar replies and explanations and he has some supporters too.I wonder when will our mindset change. If a journalist is not suppose to do her work, what are we suppose to do then?Are we saying that women have to go back to their nest?

Same incident , lessons not learnt yet! Itz been more than 7 months and we have not closed the previous case yet even after a massive outrage.Do we value ourselves ?

1 person likes this.
  2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

There is no paradise or perfect place where no crimes happen. But sheer amount of violence against women both at home and outside is disproportionately high in India. People always like to bring US or other western counties as comparison but it is not quite the same . And everyone knows that.

What is amazing is these same Indian men who come here are surprisingly docile here - in public. At least. So if there are stringent laws, it can be a big deterrent. I Indian I get all kind of obscene comments but here most if them won't even meet my eyes.

There was a older poster who started a thread ( after Delhi rape) with the same comments about women's attire contributing to rape in addition to with some other very offensive comments. No one really opposed him as he was a "senior" poster ......... Except me. And I ruffled quite a few feathers then.

1 person likes this.
  3. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it is shameful and embarassing to see such details. But I think it is not that rapes have increased, I think more rapes are being reported and published in the media.

I too am considering going back to India with my daughter in one or 2 yrs. I cant decide whether it is good or bad. But i definitely think there is a lack of decency which is missing in India. I am more appalled at how things happen in broad daylight and in the public which proves lawlessness. Eve-teasing, molestations all should be removed and punished. But who cares in India? Everybody has to take care of their own belongings in India. Thats the sad truth.

But certainly, I feel it is much safer in US. If in Inida, someone will have to hover over the daughters to keep them safe all the time. I would certainly not let my kid sleep-over at someone else's house all by herself and send her on vacations all by herself.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

no, you said about a 3 month old baby girl and she said it was insensitive. I didnt understand the reference dear. Which post were you talking about?

5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Funnily I mentioned the same thread . But no I did not see his new thread. Typical example of a suppressed man ( father of two daughters, no less) getting titillation from rape.

6. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Dear Rakhii,

I replied Arch with the blog link that I was referring. Sorry for the mis-communication. (Page 5 post#45)

I read this blog as a third person and not involving myself emotional. I wanted to refer this as it might happen anywhere around us and we need teach kids to be safe as well be aware.

7. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

Your argument will only work if these rapists actually raped the woman "to show her place". These rapists had also raped rag-pickers earlier. Where they showing the rag-pickers that they were "superior" to them? Or let's talk about the cases where small girls get raped. Firstly to club pedophilia with misogyny itself is wrong. Then again, even if we say that they weren't pedophiles but only lustful predators, what were they actually asserting by raping small kids? Their sense of superiority over a 9 year old from a poor background?

Or let us take Japan or China. The rapes occurring there are not attributed to their patriarchal society. China kills more girls in the fetuses than India does. But if a rape happens in China, do you say its because of misogyny. On the other hand, South Africa, Brazil have a serious rape problem. There it is seen as a law and order issue and not a cultural issue.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

ah...gotcha.

9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I see nothing but ignorance and bigotry in his posts, and never bother to participate in his threads. Referring to independent young women as babes, victim blaming, poor people are poor because they are lazy — There is no cure for this mind-set, and argument is futile. To paraphrase Mr. Weitzenhoffer, It's like playing chess with a pigeon; You plan your moves carefully and critically, but the pigeon knocks over the pieces, craps on the board and struts around like it won.

2 people like this.
  10. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Dovakhiin - what do you hope to prove with all those statistics of other countries. Almost everyone of this site is of Indian origin and most live in India , US or Other western countries. When people are dismayed at the dismal state of affairs in India because they live there or have family or even considering going back . What is happening in china or Brazil is hardly a concern for most Indians. Unless your point is that since it is happening is china it is acceptable in India too , is there another point?