Another gang rape: this time in Mumbai

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I thought it was because of his statement against LTTE?

2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Indian army , like armies of other democracies ( note the word democracies) are there to defend and protect their countries . If there are rouge elements, the entire armed services cannot be tarred with the same brush. I have nothing but utmost respect for the servicemen and women who put themselves in harm's way so I and y family can sleep in peace. There are many place to generalize but this is not one if them.
    - even if you have extremely liberal views.

But yes India is overall a very dangerous place for women and frankly if I have to visit I will take extreme precaution.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You lost me....where is she?

2 people like this.
  4. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

I know you were only replying to Eraser's question and his/her question was illogical to say the least. But I would still like to know on what basis can you make that accusation against the Indian man ma'am? Is there any man that you have known in person who actually has said that he will rape a woman because he feels entitled to that?

There are of course men that who actually say that it was her fault to have gone there. But how does it become an "Indian" problem. In March a 14 year old traveling in a Glasgow bus was sexually assaulted by two teenagers. The comments section of Dailymail, Guardian, HuffPost UK, etc weren't really flooded with comments, as much as they were for the Indian cases(typical racist attitude, I guess). But whatever comments that were upvoted the most, actually questioned what the girl was doing outside at 10:30 pm. Now, do you think those who made the comments were Indian men?

I don't know why when a rape happens in India, it becomes a cultural problem, where as when it happens in the west it becomes a law and order problem. Anene Booysen never made it to the headlines but Nirbhaya did.

I understand that you and many ILites here hate the inequality that women feel here. But that is the result of a patriarchal society. But to cast every Indian man - even the patriarchal ones - as a rapist is very annoying.

2 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I would think your friend was stalked by a creep but I would not use that or other such examples to denigrate the armed forces. I would say a man disrespecting a woman is a sign of poor breeding. Whether its rape or marital bullying - some men do that because of misogyny perpetuated by what they saw or heard their entire life.

6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Agreed! That is kind of what I said in the last paragraph. Maybe it was not clear enough...

8. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I'm sorry for the miscommunication. This is reference to the blog referred in this thread

It’s a baby girl! | Sahaja Patel

I sent this to few women I know. One of the woman came back saying that it was insensitive of me to send me a link to her as she is new mother of 3 month old baby girl. I couldnt understand.

9. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I'm sorry I dont understand.

10. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

i am not going to conflate the Glasgow incident with this one. for instance, there was a very similar incident (to the delhi case) that occurred in brazil a few months ago. we could talk about that too.

i speak only of india because these incidents happen in the larger cultural context of misogyny there. the expectations of and from women, the casual shaming of women that don't fit into these social constructs, the victim blaming, the extreme undesirability of a girl child, the acid attacks to show women "their place", the stigma of divorce wherein the woman lives on in an abusive marriage rather than face societal backlash, the lack of respect for women in general. don't get defensive when i say 'indian man'. there are always exceptions that prove the rule. it's time to acknowledge that there is a problem and reflect on what we can do as a society to address it.