Another gang rape: this time in Mumbai

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Aug 23, 2013.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

SGBV,
    I have accompanied women when they go to report violent crimes and not one has said they feel raped by those who protest on their behalf. In fact, they do identify those who question their choice of dress, location as adding insult to injury.

I have to step out of this because I know I can't say what I want to say...the forum rules don't deter me but I rarely step out of the bounds I have for myself.

But before I go...I thought long and hard about this last night because I was puzzled at your response. I remembered responding to at least one other thread where you voiced your concern for your loved one. And another, where you tell people not to respond if they don't want to hear what you have to say...

As for discussing social practices which strike a discordant note with my religious views, it is because I value the lessons my religion has taught me. I do not practice it much but the utter and complete faith that I have does not make me defensive about raising these questions. In fact that is the reason why I never counter any such question with discrepancies in other religious practices.

As for being socially responsible, I firmly believe that if we reach out to those around us they don't have to be on photographs looking pathetic and holding out their hand for others' charity. It may mean that some people may not have the opportunity to feel 'how much good they do.' They'll get over it.

Besides, not too long ago you responded in another thread about learning something from our discussion (which would have been a no brainer to me). So those who champion for rights for women, children and men-human rights have contributed to the well being of your family in some small way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Below is the humble request letter from the parent of the Mumbai Victim to the public and media. This shows it all.
    In the name of advocating for human rights and woman's right what we actually do to the victims of crimes.
    This is what, I advised not to speak loud on such matters following every incident that happens in the metros. Not to keep so much of media attention to the individual case. But speak about gender based violence in general, aware the community in general, and always... without any time limitation.

The below statement is from another famous photo journalist, Sherya

We keep on saying that we taught our women to be safe, covered and all... But it shows how the women are so ignorant when it comes to their own safety.
    I have personally seen so much of such women, and made them realize about the value of their safety. The women simply want to exercise their rights and freedom by forgetting their own safety. Their age and lack of awareness may be leading them to it.

As Sherya mentioned below, the women need not restrict themselves from practicing their freedom or rights. But they can be a little cautious until they think their country/place is safe for them to be careless.

Again, media can bring a huge change. We all can discuss as to how to exercise safety.. But definitely not after each publicized rape case, but in general.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I personally do not think I am contradicting. So, I am not going to take your advice this way. Thanks anyway.

4. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

No victim should be made to feel as if they are being raped, all over again… Whether you intend to support the victim or expressing your social responsibility by showing your anger. It is rather better to prepare the community to behave good through some other ways, possibly awareness or other collective mechanism rather than picking up every metro rapes to publicity and entertainment.

7. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

SGBV,

The protests are not for entertainment. They are shouting hard to make the government listen and do something proactive. Nothing moves in India fast. Nobody feels accountable in the govt. People are left only to protest. What to do? The measures you are talking about are right, but still India is not that evolved. These protests are a way to reach there some day.

3 people like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Plenty has been said and plenty is being said on this topic both in Kamalji's thread as well as in this thread. I appreciate the points being made viz. that in order to be a truly civilized society, we need to reach a level where we do not need to curtail the freedom of women. Rape seems to know no reason in this country - not to say that rape can ever be associated with any reason. No female from the time of birth to death and no male who is physically vulnerable can be 100% safe at any time in any place.

Now my question is this. Just shouting ourselves hoarse on an anonymous forum is not going to get us results in exactly the time frame we want - and the results can't come ever too soon. Is there anything we as a women's site can do to bring our thoughts and our DEMANDS to people in places that matter for more stringent laws, more sensitivity and expedience from the executive (police) as well as the judiciary ? Just a thought that crossed my mind. There are also many independent bloggers who blog on womens' issues with a vast readership whom we could try to rope in to add to the number of signatures.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

9. Gamma27

Gamma27 New IL'ite

It was never safe for women and will never be.

10. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

Not alone in this delhi and mumbai gang rape case...wherever in india if the same happens...i can see the rapists mom or relative blabbering to media..." he is just a minor"....i here it every time......feeling just sad !! No comments... !!