Another BIG issue in raising kids...a post I couldnt resist sharing with u friends..

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by SupSam, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

DD, 4 yrs now is in nursery in Presidium. Like most parents, during her approaching her 3rd bday, we started deeply thinking about her admission in formal school...how..where..when?!! And it made us change our place of stay to be able to fill forms. I am from a girls convent but wanted DD to join a co-ed school..DH from a govt school...love marriage so alumni and divorcee points went null and void....shifted to get more school options within km criteria..first child...no sibling criteria...Thanks God...our first child is a girl..at least we had that option to put a tick mark on...but elders will never understand this frustration and seek a boy child...:rant:rant:rant I just came across the following vent post dropped by a Mother today itself at NurseryAdmissions forum which I had joined during DD's admissions..After reading this, I felt how will a common middle class person give decent education to their child??

Few years back I used to wonder about the hullaballoo in media about admissions in nursery . Today I am an enlightened woman after going through this process myself for my daughter…
    I would like to apologize my child for
    1) I pay income tax
    2) I do not belong to a minority or disadvantaged group
    3) We are happily married couple
    4) You are my first and only child
    A word of caution for the uninitiated, you will need lot of mental strength to cope with the pressure. It’s a roller coaster ride which will test your patience, endurance, optimism and most importantly LUCK. It will take you through myriad emotions like frustration, helplessness, disappointment, pain, pessimism & the killing one – hope. Believe me I am not being dramatic or exaggerating, thousands of parents can vouch me on the same. It’s certainly not for faint hearted!!
    I think there will be some very interesting social changes, if the famous point system continues to be carried out in future
    1) The value of land around the schools will go up tremendously.
    2) Arranged marriages, one of the main point to be considered will be – Is the groom or bride is alumni of a good school.
    3) Time for some female empowerment, first child as girl will be coveted and not the son.
    4) The people will conceive child according to admission calendar in schools
    5) The stigma attached to a divorced /separated person will be a lot less. I think it would be something to rejoice about.
    6) The old school though- Govt jobs are best will make reappearance with a bang. All the musings like doing what you enjoy most/carving your own niche will be considered crap
    I had applied in about 27 Schools, and my daughter is in waitlist in 01 school. So it doesn’t matter how many schools you have applied for, there is no guarantee. But the next year we have to look and take things little differently. Before applying to schools, one has to-------s and scrutinize the point system of each & every school nearby & how one’s child is most fitting as per the predefined parameters. Otherwise its just waste of time, money & energy…
    So what is the next step for parents who could not get admission in any school?
    1) The first and obvious one is to wait for second or third list (if any)
    2) To wait for another year for KG admissions & to continue the child in a playschool
    3) Next year again go through this painful progress once again, this time apply in school in NCR as well. And if possible be ready to relocate yourself to that area
    4) Change the religion, if nothing works.
    5) Last would be the favourite “jugaad” for some . They will try out their contacts and money if they can afford to.
    I can’t afford the last one so I have to opt for the first three. What will be your strategy, please share, may be we can help each other in some way by sharing our thoughts on this.
    I see I have been rambling quite long on different things related to this process, no offence meant for anybody. A lot has been building up inside me & though to vent out few things on this medium.....

HMPHHH.....

Supriya.