1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Big Boss House

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Feb 5, 2021.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

The most awaited big boss Tamil season 4 has just ended. This kind of reality show is very popular in other languages too!

Many would argue the content of this program & doubt whether it is scripted or not.
    Beyond all these criticism, i have a personal connection with this reality show. Because i happened to live in such a set up a decade back when i worked for the UN in the MENA region (Middle east & North Africa).

Due to on going war & security reasons, the UN compound was established in the middle of Saharan desert, away from the local residential area.
    There were big makeshift houses, with 5-6 rooms and around 10-12 UN staff of diverse age, sex, race & religious background would be kept in each house. The UN would take care of their security, health, transport & other requirements.

We had office works from 8 am to 4 pm during work weeks; the rest of the times were spent in that house only.

There was no WiFi in that house a decade back. The mobile signal was very poor- that we had to climb up to the roof top to make phone calls home. Hence we were totally cut off from the outside world.

There was only one TV in that living room, which had only Arabic channels.

It was a Multi- racial house. Americans, Europeans, Asians and Africans as UN staff members were sharing that house. But we didn't have a common taste in anything.

Though there was only one kitchen, we cooked separately & but shared our food between the inmates.

We fought with each other on silly things like sharing the TV, Kitchen, washing area etc... Yet, we respected & cared for each other as members of one house/family.

Once in a while, we hear exciting announcements like luxury budget items. Those who watch Big boss show in the TV knows what it is.
    We had a UN duty free shop, where we were offered luxury items like cheese, butter, juices & frozen meat/veggies once in every month. Don't be surprised!!! This was our luxury.

For those who live in a desert, that too in the war zone know what does luxury means there.

We had money in dollars, yet they seemed like paper only.

Everyone needed a strategy to coexist & survive in that house, else it would have been impossible to manage.

Except for the time away from the duty station ( once in 6 weeks) we would have been totally cut off from the worldly affairs during those days. Thus, the inmates & the lives with them was our world then.

Depending on our performance at work, budget etc...our contracts were extended. This means, some of us kept on leaving the house following end of deployment with everlasting memories. While, the new ones kept on filling those spaces just like how wild card entrants joined in the BB house.
    No matter what, the house kept on going as usual with various emotions.

I have spent 2.5 years in that house and learned many beautiful qualities like caring, sharing, adjusting & respecting the diversity there. These qualities continue to help myself & other in mates to live in this challenging world.

Whenever i watch big boss show in TV, i would cherish & relive those wonderful memories.

Amica, KashmirFlower, meepre and 5 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Interesting experience. Could not have been easy, but am sure it was the most educative and enriching experience in your life.

vidhyalakshmid and SGBV like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks madam

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@SGBV,

What a unique and extraordinary experience that should have been for you! That was an outstanding experience to learn day to day life and culture of each one from different continent including their food habits, family relationships, ability to understand and accept people from other walks of life, etc. It was striking to learn from your thread that dollar was just a paper when you have no means to use it wisely in a war-inflicted area. That residence should have been united nations within the UN and a role model for those who are fighting a fierce battle with their own neighboring communities.

Big Boss gets good as well as bad reviews on social media, bad reviews, especially from culture police. But I am glad it triggered your memories in Africa. A nice thread to be nominated by @Rihana and it is heartening to note that both Rihana and I are circling around the same threads to nominate.

5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

SGBV I always thought it's impossible for anyone to lead a BB life in real life but here you are, beautifully narrated your experience.

I always enjoy bb and realize there are a lot of takeaways from the show, yet people bash the show and even Few relatives judge me for following the show.. It's definitely little more than entertainment for Me.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

always in awe and loved reading about your varied experiences ... this one is no different.

7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Very interesting experience indeed! I am reminded of my college days when four of us boys were sharing two room apartment. Thankfully there were no mobile, internet and TV then. Usual tussle was about using the bathroom. Mr. A would take long time and others would be cursing him.