1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Saideeps, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Saideeps

Saideeps Bronze IL'ite

The ankylosing spondylitis is a kind of chronic inflammatory or a kind of arthritis which mainly affects the spinal joints. It is because of this kind of spondylitis that swelling and irritation occurs in the verbal joints and this is also associated with pain and stiffness in the back. Ankylosing spondylitis is one of the Autoimmune Disorder resulted by dysfunctioning of the immune system of the body.
    [​IMG]
    The extent of pain that occurs in this disease differs from person to person. Some patients may experience only episodes of transient back pain while some others may experience long standing and severe back pain. If this problem is not treated properly, it could cause small bony outgrowths from the edges of the vertebrae. When it involves more than two vertebrae, a person can become disabled. This disease may also affect the hip, the knee or the joint of the shoulder. Apart from this, the joints could be damaged as a result of which total replacement might be required. Therefore proper treatment is necessary.
    Excercises for Ankylosing spondylitis :

Though at present there is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis, but the doctors recommend some exercises in order to get relief from the pain. The exercises can also help to maintain the movement and the function of that particular part of the body.
    Since exercise is the most essential activity for management of this problem, the main aims of these exercise program is to maintain or restore the ability of the spinal cord, to improve the posture and to maintain the expansion of the chest.
    Back Stretches
    [​IMG]
    The motion exercises that are recommended should always be concentrated on particular areas where the discomfort is more severe. For instance, a person who has problem with the neck should go for gentle exercises involving mobility in order to maintain the proper movement of the neck.
    Neck stretches
    [​IMG]
    In order to enhance the muscle power, several strengthening exercises should be performed. This would help a person to stay upright as well as erect. Apart from this, gentle stretching exercises are useful. This would help the person to prevent stiffness as well as changes in posture.
    To maintain the expansion of the chest as well as the mobility of the ribs, deep breathing exercises might also be beneficial at times. Apart from this, swimming and walking are helpful exercises for ankylosing spondylitis. However, it is suggested not to go for the strenuous physical activity because there might be a risk associated with this. The spine may get fractured due to excessive stiffness in the back.
    Back Stretches
    [​IMG]
    The exercises help to promote flexibility of the joints along with loss of weight. This automatically helps diminish the stress level of the body. One can start with some basic exercises. They can stand against a wall and try to touch the wall with the shoulders and the buttocks simultaneously. They can also breathe deeply, turn their waist or neck etc. apart from this, they can go for yoga, water therapy or weight training.

Morning is the ideal time for exercises. If there is severe pain, a warm bath is advisable before one does the exercises. If these exercises are done regularly, a person would definitely get relief from the pains of ankylosing spondylitis.

2. deepagopalan

deepagopalan Gold IL'ite

its a wonderful information you shared here,i have a severe neck problem sometimes my shoulder also pain,when i sit continues before pc,sometime due to heavy load of work i wont get up from my seat,that time i experience severe neck and back pain,i does these exercises and felt relaxed for a while.

:cheers
    deepu

3. princecheck13

princecheck13 New IL'ite

Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic form of arthritis with a primary lesion of the spine. The disease causes pain, stiffness, swelling, reduced mobility in the lower and thoracic spine, the cervices-occipital, the hip, chest wall, and heels. The disease is more prevalent in men

4. RonLara

RonLara New IL'ite

In the last year or two I've ran across articles about successful treatments for ankylosiing spondylitis so I know help is out there, but can't remember what I read very long. Does anyone have any information on the subject?