1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anjalis of this world.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Anjali,the girl who joined duty in our house as my helper and who has turned out to be my friend,philosopher and guide, is standing near the bedroom window,with a keen expression on her face.Later on, I come to know that she was listening to the prayer that was read out in a church nearby,then I remember it is a Sunday.

When Anjali joined us here, her only request was that she should be allowed to go to her church every Sunday.We could understand.My husband told the agency people, who got her for us that we have no problem,every Sunday she can leave the house around 11’o clock in the morning and return in the evening,provided somebody from her house like her brother or sister would pick her up in the morning and drop her back in the evening on Sundays.Due to some reason, this did not work out. Any other young girl would have sulked, but not Anjali.She remained her cheerful self.Here I must tell you that she is a regular church goer and never used to miss her mass prayer.So when I saw her standing near the window and listening to the prayer that was broadcast over mike,my heart went out to her.Anjali saw my expression,read my mind and came near me.
    “Amma,it is ok.So what if Iam not able to go to the church every Sunday.Listening to the service is good enough.Amma”so saying she took my hand and helped me come to my room.

Anjali’s parents live in a village ,her father owns a small piece of land .Anjali’s brothers and a sister live in Chennai.This girl got herself registered in an agency that gets you maids,nurses etc and it was our good luck that Anjali came to us.

She is of medium height,dark with a cheerful countenance.I call her to my side umpteen number of times in a day and umpteen number of times she responds to my calls with a smiling face.If you see my room you will be confused for a minute,it resembles a planetarium.There is an inverter,two oxygen concentrators{one for the night and one for the day time) a TV,my life support ie the computer .Tubes are attached to the oxygen machines,with the frequent power cuts we have to keep shuffling the connections to the oxygen concentators.Well this is not my area I just could not understand the abcd of this connections but Anjali dear, has mastered the art or science.Now my dh asks her,”Anjali have I given the right connection?”.She is an intelligent girl no doubt.

My medicines are given to me on time,steaming,nebulization are done promptly on time my husband relaxes a little courtesy Anjali, for she takes care of these areas.When Anjali joined us she told me,”Amma Iam very attached to my father.I love my mother also but Iam specially fond of my father.”Now she calls my dh as appa and me as Amma.

Except that she is not able to go to the church on Sundays,she is fine in our house.She gets the same food and snacks that we eat,watches TV with us and sits on the dining table and eats with us.

Before Anjali came to us,there were a couple of girls who worked for us ie in taking care of me.
    The first one to come to our house was Sathya.Tall,dark,slim with a smile that lightened up the room,Sathya was a very good nurse.She came at a time when I had to be lifted from the bed and carried.This she did ,ofcourse with the help of others cheerfully.She used to give me thorough bath and dressing of the bedsores that I got as a gift from the hospital was done perfectly.She was very methodical.She was from a big family and was engaged to be married and looks like her marriage was fixed,she left us.

The next one to join us was another Sathya.She was a sullen person,was almost rude on a couple of occasions.Later on when I chatted with her I found out that her mother was bedridden due to some illness,her father was a drunkard and she had two siblings to take care of.Anyhow she had to leave us since her father insisted that she should attend to her mother, staying at home.

Then came Mamtha.Mamtha was from Coorg.She was small made,sweet looking and looked like a doll.Only after she joined us, we found out that she was a newly married girl and poverty forced the couple to separate for a while and she came to Bangalore in search of a job.She had worked in a local hospital as ayah and so was good at giving sponge bath etc.She also learnt to connect the oxygen concentrators to the inverter at the right time.I have to be given insulin injection 3 times a day.My dh would take the syringe and come near me with a warriorlike expression.He would purse his lips and poke the needle in my arm forcefully making me scream.Mamtha taught my DH how to give insulin injection in such a way that you don’t even feel the prick.Well that child was in the family way,when she came to us,we did not know it ,and hence she had to leave.Then came Anjali.

All these girls came to me, when I needed them by my side.The were and are God’s blessing in my life.
    Iam surprised that these girls chose this profession of taking care of patients.All the four girls whom I have mentioned above could have opted for and got any other job.They could have worked in one of the umpteen number of beauty parlours that are springing up by a dozen every day.A little bit of training and experience(well don’t ask at whose cost) they would be earning a good salary or they could have taken up job in any of the export companies,where they make ready made garments and require ;ladies all the time.But Sathyas,Mamtha and Anjali willingly got themselves registered for this position in an agency that caters to mostly elderly people.

I can never forget Sathya 1 who used to lift me up from bed and carry me to the loo.Everytime she had to lift me up,she used to say”easuvukku sthotrangal” ie “praise the Lord”.I picked it up from her and used to chant it often long after she left us.Sathya 2,well inspite of her bitterness, she was a fastidious person and took good care of me., Mamtha was very smart, Anjali is there with me now,the comfort zone in my life.

There is a common trait in all the four of them.They are neat,clean and are service oriented.They have dignity of labour. I bless these girls from the bottom of my heart.God should bless them with good health, they should get good kind caring husbands and should live well.

There are umpteen number of Anjalis out there doing their work,what everybody may not like,diligently It is not easy,living in totally unknown people’s houses, taking care of the bedridden patients,cleaning them up,changing diapers,eating the food that they give, feeling happy for a cup of icecream that they may get.In addition ,they have to take care of themselves.Their courage,presence of mind and their faith in God only protects them.
    I bless these girls frrrom the bottom of my heart.God should bless them with good health, they should get good ,kind, caring husbands and should live well.

sindmani likes this.

2. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

HI Mithilamma,
    Hope you are doing better now and my prayers are with you.

Tears rolled down from my eyes for those Girls. My standing ovation to All Anjalis of this world.:bowdown

3. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

duplicate post deleted.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Well, even i feel that this is the most superb prayer that they are offering to god.... My wishes for all those people who are offering such services....

Regards,

Sandhya

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear mithila mam,

hope you are doing okay.i have also seen an "anjali" taking care of my grandmother and they became so attached to each other.:) yes these girls are doing a big service and it is really nice to see that you too are treating her as family.how long do you need to be dependent on all these machines? I am sure you are getting better.take care.

6. mithila kannan

My dear Mindian,
    Thanks for the fb.I am doing better now in the sense that I can walk a small distance .I have ti use the oxygen concentrate life long.The only consolation is that if and when I get well I can do with out thrusting the oxygen carrying tubes in my nostrils for atleast a couple of hours every day.Hoping for that to happen,
    love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

My dear Sandhya,
    Thank you.These girls need our prayers for their well being.
    love
    mithila

8. mithila kannan

My dear Priya,
    Thank you for your lovely fb.
    love
    mithilama

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila,
    so nice to read your post. With all your pains you care for the girls who are taking care of you. It shows the nobility of you.
    I salute those girls, who come forword to nurse the others though they have so many inconveniences in their home. To them,
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit? It is one of the Fine Arts: Since you treat them royally, they [/FONT] dispense comfort, compassion, and caring without even a prescription." [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    with love
    pad
    [/FONT]

10. mithila kannan

My dear Padmini,
    Thank you for your comment.Remember that these girls have to treat humanbeings .Sometimes they have to ut up with harsh words from their patients.

Iam grateful to God for giving me Anjali,I turn around and see,if she is around,all is well in my little world.

love
    mithila