1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anil Biswas

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anil Biswas was born in 1914 and lived up to a ripe old age of 89. His musical journey however lasted for only thirty years. Within that short time, he gave a big lift to Lata and Mukesh. In that short span of 30 years, he directed the music of over 90 films. He and his second wife Meena Kapoor were both accredited singers and gave many hit numbers those days. His first assignment as a Music Director of a Hindi movie was at the age 21.He started his career in Bengal, moved over to Bombay and eventually to Delhi to settle down with All India Radio.
    "In Delhi, he became director of the National Orchestra at the All India Radio (AIR) in March 1963, and remained Chief Producer -Sugam Sangeet (light Hindustani classical music) at AIR, Delhi till 1975. Though later, he composed music for Doordarshan's pioneering TV series Hum Log (1984) and a number of documentaries for the Films Division as late as 1991, and remained the Advisor (Music) in the rank of a Professor at Jawaharlal Nehru University for 2 years. He won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1986." -Wikipedia
    Can we now listen to of his old classics?

'Preetam tera mera pyar' was sung by Lata in 1948 for the film Gajre. The song was a big hit those days.

Rahi Matwale was sung by Talat and Suraiya for the film Waris. The song has both a happy and sad versions.

Song from the film Tarana (1951) sung by Lata for Madhubala and Talat for Ashok Kumar!

From the film Maan (1954) sung by Lata. Ajit, Yashodara and Durga Khote were the stars.

From the movie Pardesi sung by Lata for Nargis. A great movie

Old is gold, isn't it?

Gauri03, Mistt and GeetaKashyap like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,

These songs are very old and never heard of! Thanks for introducing him to us. "Mere liye woh" is a nice song.
    Recently released biopic on Sanjay Dutt has a song in similar style.

Film: Sanju. A song by Sonu Nigam and Sunidhi Chouhan.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi uncle :)
    Thank you again for introducing another great music composer Anil Biswas jee who was also one of pioneers of playback singing and also credited for the first Indian orchestra of 12 pieces. ( I went though Wikipedia).

I searched Anil jee composed songs on YouTube after reading your writing on him and have started to listening those nice songs. True, Old classics either movies or songs are gold and remains forever.

I added Nain Mile Nain huve bawre ( Tarana) to my collection and have to listen many songs of him. May be takes a little time for me. I will add more songs later.

Adding one more my favorites from his composition.

"Dheere dheere aare badal " from Kismat. Ashok Kumar looks so young ( first time seeing him as so young). I checked wiki of that movie after listening that song because that song is in Telugu too and it is my all time favorite song " Oho Meghamala from Bhale Ramudu ( prema pasam in Tamil) Lyrics and tunes are kind of similar in both movies. Gyan Mukherjee ( director of Kismat) had written story for telugu movie.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Dear Geeta
    These songs are extremely old and I want to show the kind of musical world in which we grew up.
    Sonu Nigam is truly great. I first saw him as the anchor of sa re ga ma conducted by him.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Shreya Ghosal won it then.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame

Again one more thread on music with a great M.D. Thanks Cheeniya.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame

8. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame

9. Cheeniya

@Jaysree
    Thank you for the two lovely songs. Dil jaltha hai is one of my top favourite

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@Cheeniya sir, thank you for this!! You and I must have some kind of telepathic connection :) Just yesterday as I was driving to work, I was wondering if you had written about Anil Biswas and was mentally making a note to myself to check and lo, here I find one about him :)

@Jaysree, seene main sulaghte hai armaan is also one of my favorites of Talat. Actually, anything sung by Talat is bound to be my favorite!!

And as usual, I cannot but go back to Manna Da. Some songs are a constant in my playlist and these 2 are just the gold standard for me, about the 4 seasons in such a beautiful classical number. I remember when I was in college and was trying to imitate the taans in Ritu Aaye Ritu Jaaye sakhi ree and burst out crying because I was so overwhelmed by how beautiful the music was and how I could not sing them like Lata!!

And then one of the early Kishore Kumar duets with Lata, where he doesn't sound like the Kishore we all know at all -

Cheeniya and GeetaKashyap like this.