1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

And the Oscar goes to.... my MiL!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by daisymom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

even though i know that she is faking all the ailments (she has been doing it for years...), i still feel bad in asking her to shift so that i can sit on the bed... but i guess i will have to do it now. i dont want to take a chance with the baby. i m blessed with this pregnancy after trying for a long long time.

thanx for the airbed idea. i will check how it is. never seen it before.

2. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

hahaha

will try these tricks if her current ailment doesnt end soon. btw, my eldest SiL (BiLs wife) says that she has always been like this (SiL has been in the family for 10+ years) :crazy

all her three sons are very nice to her and all three bahus always make sure she is comfortable. we never talk back to her or try to veto her wishes unless its harming the kids of the family.

i feel that she is a very selfish person... My FiL died 2 years back and MiL never ever speaks one good word about him. :bang

My FiL was an amazing person. he always had a smile on his face and he was a very well read and understanding person.

Only thing MiL talks about him is that he (FiL) never bought her good jewelery or clothes (MiL actually has more of these things than all us 3 bahus combined) :biglaugh

we have learned to ignore her antics as confronting her will only increase her drama... but it does get too much sometimes.

btw, forgot to mention, she complains about my middle SiL (MiL mostly stays with them) that she gives more attention to her kids than to MiL. i mean, how silly is it? SiLs kids are 3 years and 1 year respectively. they obviously cant take care of themselves!!!:bonk

3. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

thank u for the wishes dear :)

abt MiL, we have been to all kinds to doctors... and they say there is nothing wrong with her. we have described all the conditions. the docs keeps asking her to be physically active but she pretends to be deaf (ignored us...) when we (me, DH, BiLs, SiLs) try to cajole her into going for a walk or just sitting up during the day. (she literally sleeps/lies down the whole day as if she has no spine).

we even took her to a gyn to see is she has hormonal imbalance, but no - even at that front she is 100% healthy!!

only time she seems to be happy is when she is in an MRI machine or getting 100th blood test done :-/

if i go by my instinct, i think she needs some tough love. she needs to be pushed (not physically ) to get off the bed and hep in some house hold chores - go for a walk - take care of the kids etc. but i might be wrong and i dont wanna escalate this situation.

4. carnatica

carnatica New IL'ite

Hi daisymom

I agree with mapleleaf. Your MiL could be suffering from some psychosomatic disorder wherein mental factors cause physical symptoms, but there is no physical disease. I would suggest that you take her to a psychologist or a Reiki healer and opt for alternate treatment therapies like Reiki, Hypnosis, through which there are also chances to put in some good thoughts in her sub conscious mind. But getting her to come to those docs might require a good amount of effort from you and your DH. Talk to the doc/healer in advance about the problems and let them deal with her.

5. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

u have a valid point dear, but for that, someone will have to raise up the issue that she does not hv the ailments she claims she has. its a v delicate issue and she will surely take offense. moreover, i m due to deliver my first child in less than 3 months and i cant do anything more for her right now.

perhaps i will try to talk o the elder SiL and bring up this issue. if she can convince BiL to talk to her abt going to a shrink/healer then it may work out.

to be honest, right now, i need to look out for myself and my child. i hv a high risk pregnancy due to severe back problems and i was warned by my docs that i might not be able to carry the baby to term :shaking:

she has been like this for years (more than 10 years or so) and a few months wont make a difference.

i dunno what she wants. all her sons n DiLs give her respect. she never has to do any work. we always talk to her (to make sure she never feels lonely)... she is 100% physically fit, she has Grandkids she does not care about, her sons buy her anything she wishes for. she even has an account in her name with ample money in it.

what else can we do for her? and when will she start doing anything for her sons and grandkids?

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi daisymom...
    Your MIL is just an insecure person as you've discovered and best is to humour her or else life will be difficult for you...
    I just wanted to share an incident with you...
    My granny was also very similar person always seeking attention... one day of one of my uncle was talking to his friend who is a radiologist about her and so her suggested lets do a ultra -sound... those days it was a new theory... so my uncle took my granny to the clinic...
    His friend told my granny that a new machine is invented which takes care of all the body aches/ pain and digestion problems and then he ran the ultra sound rod all over her body showing her all her parts on the screen and saying... see aunty how the pain spot disappeared... well after that she became a fan of that "iron therapy".. and all her pains were cured!!!... HAHAhAHa...
    K

7. Amruta7

Amruta7 New IL'ite

Hi
    First congratulations on your pregnancy...! I am sorry to say this, but I had a hearty laugh by the way you explained your situation with expressions.:)

As you said you have high risk pregnancy, it's not the right time to entertain her (As every doctor has told she is perfectly alright ). For now First taking care of yourself is the most important thing. Atleast until your delivery and even after the delivery once you settled with the baby then you can start thinking about her. If she let you sit on the floor, then tell her that doctor has told you not to sit on the floor. Try to avoid her until your delivery. Take care and have a safe delivery...!

8. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

thanx for the wishes dear and no need to feel sorry abt laughing!! its always better to find humor in such situations. this is how i survive having her around :D :crazy

btw, i have decided to be firm now. no use taking any risk with the baby as no matter what DH and I do, MiL will always complain.

her latest imaginary ailment is gonna last atleast till my delivery. as i said earlier, she always does the drama when someone in the family needs medical attention.

9. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

hhaaaahahaahaha :rotfl

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010