1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

And Now The Perfect Ending For The Perfect Love Story!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jun 10, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

That was a beautiful explanation, Sriniketan. And you don't require my permission to post anything here in connection with the paasuram. We do not have any fixed roles here. When you explain you are the teacher and I am your student.
    Please go ahead and post your explanations.
    regards,

2. varalotti

My Dear GFs,

I am pleased to extend a warm welcome to all of you to my newest post,
    "I Was Hurt! I Am Fine!" which I will be posting a few minutes from now.

I had abstained from posting anything new for a while and I am breaking my silence with this post.

Waiting with bated breaths to see you there.

love,

3. varalotti

Dear Sriniketan, Lalitha, Kamla and Sowparnika,
    to kickstart the discussion, I am posting the next paasuram. Please enjoy the beautiful wordings of the paasuram and contemplate its meanings. I'll come again shortly to post my thoughts on this song.

கையினார் *சுரி சங்கனல் ஆழியர்,* நீள்வரை போல்-
    மெய்யனார் *துளப விரையார் கமழ் நீள் முடியெம்
    ஐயனார்,* அணியரங்கனார் *அரவின் அணைமிசை மேய மாயனார்,*
    செய்ய வாய் ஐயோ.* என்னைச் சிந்தை கவர்ந்ததுவே.

love,
    sridhar

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    If I am right...the explanation for the 6th one is pending..(for the last 3 lines?)
    Is Azhwar mentioning about the scene where Yasodha looks into Lord Krishna's mouth and sees the whole world?

In the 7th pasuram..Azhwar is describing the beauty of the Lord's lips ( or mouth)..
    waiting to know more about this pasuram's explanation...

sriniketan

5. varalotti

Thanks for reminding me that, Sriniketan. There are a few more commentaries on the 6th paasuram.
    The Azhwar stands before God. What comes to his mind is the Lord's paraakrama. The marvels He did.The miracles he peformed. We have two of them listed here. Thunda ven piraiyan thuyar theerthal. The story goes that Lord Shiva was once cursed to beg for ever. It was only because of Vishnu's intervention that he got relieved from that severe curse. The second is of the Lord gobbling up the worlds, with all the mountains and seas.
    Why should the Azhwar now talk of the greatness of the Lord? Is he trying to flatter him? Is he trying to do what we normally do to God? We tell Him quite often, "Oh God, you are the ruler of the world. You have all the money in all the worlds. You are a great guy."
    Then we lower our voice and say in a whisper, "Why don't you pass on a lakh of Rupees to me, my Lord? I have seen an LCD TV and want to buy that."
    The Azhwar does not have any ulterior motive like us. He lists the Lord's greatness only to dwell deeper in His love. If such a Great Lord, the Lord who could give relief to Shiva, the Lord who could swallow all the worlds as if they were alll morsels of food, if such a Lord, could bestow His love on me, then how loving should He be?
    Suppose your next door neighbour who talks to you for an hour everyday suddenly becomes a VIP, the Governor or Chief Minister of a State.... and then you go and meet her, will she talk to you? Can you see her at all? Almost impossible.
    Even a petty office makes a person forget his friends and connections. But the Great Lord, to whom even this earth is but a mere speck of dust in the cosmic order of things, if that Lord Himself were to personally bestow His love on the Azhwar... the Azhwar could not simply withstand such a love.
    I can visualise the paasurams being rendered amidst sobs by the Azhwar.

For the words Anchiraiya vandu vaazh pozhil soozh aranga nagar meya appan, one explanation that is given is like this:
    Srirengam is noted for its gardens. It's a fertile area. Even now you have that big Thathachari Gardens where they grow Imam Pasandh mangoes. In Azhwar's days the town was full of gardens.The gardens are the ornaments to the town. The bees (vandu) are ornaments to the garden. And the tiny beautiful wings they have (anchirai :am: azhakia chirai: wings) are ornaments to them.

Sriniketan, if you want to add to this, you are most welcome. I am all ears. Give me some time for the next paasuram.
    regards,

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Sorry for coming in late for the class. Hope the teacher excuses the student.

Read the paasuram and devoured the beautiful meaning you have given.

It is true Sridhar, that when Lord himself showers his love on us what can we say, just tears flow no words come out......... it is an electrifyng experience. I can tell you this becuase I have experienced the same kind of Love from HER. She still graces me with all her LOVE blessed are we to get this love from Her. What more should I say?

It is a normal practice that you meet a great person, you do talk about his achievements right? Like when the ILites here responds to you they do talk about your accomplishments, the same way azhwar has first talked about the Lord for everybody to know how parakramashali he is. And once you love a person so much....... whatever they do or however they are they become dear to you. So in that love you started singing praises for them.

Thanks Sridhar for bringing this to us. I know and understand how busy you are otherwise but still you are making such an effort to give us this really shows your sincerity and the love you have for us. Thanks to you and Indhu (for all her sacrifices......)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sridhar for the opportunity you had given me to add to your explanations..:bowdown
    If I find anything relevant, I will definitely post it in here...

Regarding the seventh one..Azhwar is describing about the counch and the disc in Sri Ranganathar's hands, his posture, his 'Tulasi adoned' smell of His hair..and how His Lips enticed him...
    Waiting to learn more from you....

sriniketan

8. varalotti

My Dear GFs,
    Just returned from Ganesh Mandir. With a prayerful mind I will be posting the First Episode of A LOVE STORY.
    Eagerly, anxiously, nervously waiting for your responses.

With loads of love,
    your
    Varalotti

9. varalotti

My dear, dear GF,

I now realise that I have omitted replying to your fb. I don't know how I missed it. I am to be blamed. I know how rude it will appear to you, GF.
    I aplogise from the depths of my heart.

He loves to sleep; but let's not get fooled by his appearance. Even while sleeping he can create a billion universes by just breathing and destroy a few billion more by not breathing.

Our devotion to Him is based on ulterior motive. But His love for us is the purest.

There are many like that GF. For people who cannot see God in human beings, what is there in the temple is nothing but a piece of stone. I pray for the priest's welfare. For Devi might even tolerate blasphemy but not ill-treatment of one's wise. She is sure to punish him. I only wish that before that happens he reforms himself.

I am sorry again that I neglected to reply to your fb. The only assurance I am capable of giving to my gf is that the omission was only accidental and was never intentional.

Will you be kind enough to accept my apologies, GF?
    love,
    your BF