1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

And I was crowned The Best Cook!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Apr 24, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi All!
    For all those who know me personally, the title would seem like a joke. Actually I never enjoyed cooking earlier. We are two brothers and me. Even was bred like a boy. I would play with boys and was quite comfortable in their company than in girls’. During vacations also I would accompany my father to all his meetings and sit in the office as a grown up would. I enjoyed doing all that. If some day my mumma would ask me to come to kitchen and help her, I would go but not enjoy. Slowly and steadily I got hold on business dealings but lacked the finesse of kitchen a girl must have. Time was running very fast. Even before I completed my last semester of MBA, I got married and just after a fortnight appeared for my last exams. Though we had told my then-would-be in-laws that I didn’t know cooking, they co-operated a lot. My MIL taught me everything right from cutting vegetables to making traditional dishes. Over a period of say six months or so, I learnt the very basic cooking. I would get scared by even a thought of inviting somebody for a lunch or dinner. Then I started my business and again came back to square one. I would cook but won’t enjoy cooking. Then kids came into being. This was probably a turning point in my life. Kids won’t like traditional dishes and I didn’t know how to make exotic ones. I was in a perfect soup. Then one day when I took my kids to a big book store, they were busy reading and choosing books for them, I invested some time in browsing through some cook books. Yes, I could find a few which looked quite use friendly, with easy and yummy dishes to make.
    I started following the instructions and tried my hand on them. I was really surprised to discover that even I could cook something tasty. Then I tried many more dishes especially on weekends. Once I was perfect, I started giving these dishes to my kids in school tiffin also. They share their food stuff with each other. Now, all the classmates would come to my daughters and see what they have brought today and request them if they could share a bit with them. I would give at least three times the quantity what my daughters could actually eat. Somehow I don’t like the idea of saying no to somebody for food. All their friends would relish the dishes and I would get the compliment everyday without fail that “your mom is the best cook in the world”. And sometimes they would tell my daughters to request me to make a particular dish they loved very much.
    And this is how I was crowned the best cook in the world by these sweet kids. I lady like me wouldn’t have got a better award than this. I feel quite honored.
    RegsJ

2. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Hi Anukarsha,

I congratulate you on being crowned the best cook.

These small things in life give abundant happiness and your write-up (with the kind of color combinations u have used) shows how gay you were while writing it.

Also your daughters must feel so proud of their mom!!

3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

thanks dear aruna for your valuable comment.Ya! i do feel proud and my daughters too.regs-anu:)

4. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Dear Anu,

CONGRATULATIONS !!! On receiving the crown ....

Of course! its the best of all I would say as I too sailed the same boat. But I turned myself into a different array of things. Say my MIL is very good in cooking and Her MIL is there still doing all the other sweets, etc. Which will be out of the world.

I ventured into baking .... hahaha what a twist!!! My Mil taught me the basics traditional cooking & now I am doing it better with the cook books.

Really children do change us for the best and bring out the best in us.

5. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Wow ! Congratulations ! Getting praised by sweet little kids is as great as getting any national award ! Your perseverance and sustained effort paid off ! Kudos to you !:thumbsup

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks meena ma'm for your loving comment.I must tell you that yes i do enjoy cooking now.And probably the effort plus loving emotions make the food taste better.Agree wiyh me?regs-anu:)

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks lakshmi ma'm for your loving feedback.i am enjoying cooking now.and if you notice,kids always inspire me for something or the other.I really could never imagine me cooking something good but the kids brought out that as well from me.Thanks to all those kids actually.regs-anu:)

8. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Oh my God, Anu ....are you my twin because that is exactly what happened to me too...minus the kids part. You write wonderfully Anu, I enjoyed reading it and felt you are like talking about me here.

I hated the very idea of cooking but still helped my mom a bit when I was growing up. I managed a few basic dishes though before my marriage. My MIL taught me everything in exactly 6 months when she visited us in the USA.

Slowly like you, how you got hold of books, for me it was the big wide world of Internet. :rotflI used to collect recipes from Internet and then try out the dishes and now I am also crowned as the best cook among my friends here. I love cooking now and I enjoy trying out new dishes almost every other day.

Jaya

9. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear jaya!i am having a big smile on my face as i am reading through your loving reply.i thought i was a lone specimen on this planet who didn't know cooking but now i am very happy to know many more sisters like me.IL is really a great family.Though i don't have a real sister but i am lucky to have sweet sisters here in IL.thanks a lot dear.Pl keep reading and giving me your valuable insights.regs-anu:)

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anu

Congratulations on being crowned the best cook. You had written to Jaya there are many sisters here in IL like you. Count me too not like your sister but a mother. In my younger days I was also not keen on knowing cooking as at home my mother and grandmother were there and I used to enjoy life going out . My grand motherused ti say whole life is there to do cooking so now spend your time in your studies and in your working.

So though I used to cook before marriage did not know fullcooking . I also learnt after marriage through my husband because in his house his sisters, brothers all are experts in cooking. So I used to be nervous in the beginning. But later learnt everything . Used to try out new dishes from the cookery books ,now also like to try new dishes. If it is good he enjoys my cooking, if it is not so good and something he does not like he will ask who taught you this dish.

sorry my post became long

love
    viji

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010