1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Ounce!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 25, 2021.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Syamala, for your appreciation and feedback.
    Very happy to receive this from you. Yes, your feedback resonates more with this post and adds even more.
    We are trying to collect shells and occasional conches, missing the sea. -rgs

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @rgsrinivasan
    After a long hiatus, a post from you simultaneously offer a breath of fresh air and kind of relief that you are strong and ticking. (The post echos in the background the Tamil punch line - lateah vanthalum
    latesta varuven)

Your post could be Coffee buffs “darling”.

For a change, I read the post and responses from back to front - when reached your post, I read it in reverse from quotation of Ciero paragraph by paragraph.

It was quite revealing to understand how the edifice of a post has been structured ounce by ounce dealt in dimensions cms gram and in small terms like drop by drop of golden brown honey coloured decoction of plantation & robusta.

The mixing and mingling of metaphors gave joy while reading.

Why now It is all in Schilling and pounds. ounce & £? During my days in school it was foot-pound-seconds. In your time too was it FPS? India adopted MKS & RMKS IN 1960s. It appears you know both systems like back of your hand! BTW, Are you residing in London?

Handling of Small in lab can be disastrous. Na in kerosene is small and innocuous yet it’s naked presence in air is dangerous. But then you had beautifully put it here, how an ounce of black and white commences the day as a cocktail with infinite divinity in it. Yes that reminds one of Swami Vivekananda.

It also remind me of my dad -the coffee addict - he used to say first cuppa is laxative second and third are luxury. When it’s flavour is extra ordinary, Dad too would express joyfully in lovely metaphors as you did here. *There is another point you made here. There is Elegance in Simplicity.

It was gathering of shells and at times striking a con. The saying is akin to late Armstrong’s words upon setting foot on Moon “A small step for me but a giant leap for mankind”

The emphasis seems to be “Observing small thing that has potential to serve as a strong foundation later” is rare virtue in humans. A poem entitled “A Leak in the Dike” by PHOEBE CARY
    Is a befitting example here. This is a short story poem from Holland.

* கள்ளி சொட்டு காஃபி

rgsrinivasan and shyamala1234 like this.
  3. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

@rgsrinivasan
    Welcome back.... What a lovely snippet. I am a chai person but loved this cup of coffee filled with wisdom.

Keep writing
    Regards
    Nandini

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  4. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

The message here is really great! I like reading the things that you write!

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks @Thyagarajan, for your long and nice feedback. Yes, am pretty much alive and staying in Chennai for more than a decade now.
    I had the idea to write this a couple of months ago, but was deliberating quite a bit, due to a couple of reasons.
    Even now, I see a few mistakes in my post and a couple or more sentences could have been more concise. Happy to see that this post caught your attention. I use shillings and pounds, may be it came spontaneously to me, but the idea is to emphasize things in a certain way.

And some part of my writing is more of a spontaneous thought. I generally don't edit that part, except for spelling mistakes. -rgs

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. rgsrinivasan

Thanks @nandinimithun, for your appreciation and for welcoming me back.
    I like tea too and take it once everyday. :)
    -rgs

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks @GregoriaBoul, for your appreciation. Happy to receive a first from you. -rgs

8. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful write-up

Few weeks ago I asked God for a sign that something good will happen in my life. Then he jacked up my email account.

Now I saw your writing and I think maybe this is positive sign from God.

Thyagarajan and rgsrinivasan like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Ounce is an old fashioned measure which is still used, probably in only Britain. Nowadays even copffrr is probably measured in milliliters Yes life is made of such small millilitres but you don't have to get that in a restaurant queue in these Corona days. Why not home coffee? This reminds me of the Hindi saying "Ghar ki murgi dal barabar: (Even chicken cooked at home tastes like lentils). May be home-brewed coffee tastes like water.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

Thank you @SuiDhaaga, for your appreciation. Happy that my post served as a good sign for you!
    Wishing you all the very best, to receive good things aplenty, sooner! -rgs

SuiDhaaga likes this.