1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An important source of conflict between couple, but least often, talked about !

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by indianguy2010, Oct 8, 2011.

1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for that input, Sally...! :)

2. indianguy2010

Ya. May be true, flowerlady..!

3. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

hi Indianguy,

I said I cannot back my car that easily, bcos I am new to driving, guess any new driver would face this problem. I am not at all relieved when you say that it is the same with the entire female gender, bcos I think, and am pretty sure I will get better with time. In my humble opinion, this kind of generalization would actually raise insecurities in those who are beginners. As I mentioned earlier,as for remembering the routes, I never faced any significant problem.

4. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

LOL....me too...maybe I should get my levels checked.

5. indianguy2010

Hi mikku,

Please read my post of the thread (in beg letters). There I have mentioned clearly that with repetitioin and practice, it is possible for women to improve their spatial skills either to a level on par with men or even excelling men. That is why we see women as fighter jet pilots also. Being a fighter jet pilot requires utmost high spatial skills.

The idea of generalising is not to belittle female gender as such. It is rather to tell women, "look, if you ever face hell of difficulty in guessing roads lay out on imaginary plane of your mind, dont get frustrated, it is your biological truth. Dont lose heart, Accept the gender weakness. The silver lining is, you can improve it by more practice" What is required is more practice. That is it".

That was the ultimate idea of this thread.:) Hope, it makes sense to you ?

6. indianguy2010

Dear flowerlady and tanjum30,

I appreciate your sense of humour.:) Why dont you spend ten minutes to go through the following BBC article on testosterone and spatial ability.

BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID - Spatial Abilities

Or you can google with the search terms 'testosterone and spatial ability' , you will reach the article. Please read it. I request you to spend just ten minutes. It is a small article. It is true that testosterone mediates spatial ability. It is also true, that on days, women have more testosterone (somewhere around the middle of their monthly cycle), their spatial ability is good , when compared to that on other days of less testosterone levels (end of the cycle).

Moderators & Administator, please bear with me, if I have violated the Forum Rules, by quoting an outside reference. Here it is absolutely essential as an evidence, to drive home the point. That is why I took recourse to the above reference.

7. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Nice Topic!!

I call myself 'directionally challenged'. Dont know which is east and which is west if there is no sun outside :)
    This has only been a source of humor between me and my DH and never any conflict !

8. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Have got into lots of fights due to this when learning to drive with husband. So I told my driving teacher before hand that my spatial judgement is poor. So he taught me the techniques to do backing, parallel parking, etc. I would say these things come naturally to most men whereas women make up for it with practise and methods :) No harm in that. Ultimately, its got to do with safety and the more you follow the rules the safer you are.
    PS:I think maps are a problem with women who dont drive. It was the case with me. Once I started driving I could learn the places better. Before that, new areas used to puzzle me.

9. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Well, I didnt know that, either!! I can race a guy any day in a bike as well as my car, and have done both of them. I can back the car pretty well too!! And I can remember directions as well. I would say that these 'spatial skills' or rather judgement depends on the individual nature of the person. The longer you drive the better you become. I started riding/driving since I was 12 and thats what I would attribute my 'spatial skills' to, rather than my testosterone levels!!

There are 100s of surveys being conducted on every damn thing these days. I do not want to go into the topic of how much of truth it contains, but I certainly wouldnt conclude things from these surveys!

And this, of all things, wouldnt be a conflict between me and my BF! We have better things to fight about :p

5 people like this.
  10. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

Like your post & like it that you qoute Sheldon Cooper !