1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Extramarital Affair With Food

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Nice story. It reminds me of my lunch being packed by my mother during school, college and some office days. It used to be invariably thayir sadam with pickles. We all love thayir sadam. But, to have it for lunch day in and day out was hard. Once I got married, my friends in office joked saying 'now you will get lunch with Baingan ka bhurtha'. The first day my wife pcked lunch I took it to office and opened proudly. I was shocked to find the same thayir sadam and since she did not know how to make it properly (my mother will add lot of milk and a little thayir so that curd will be formed by noon time and it will be hard) the lunch box had leaked and all my office bag got spolit. Next day morning I found my wife packing again thayir sadam and I told her about the leak. What she did was to bang close the box with the result during lunch time it was a big struggle for me to open the box and ultimately when I opened it forcefully the whole thayir sadam spilt on the floor. Next day I told my wife not to pack any luch for me and I started eating in our canteen where they used to serve half cooked rice and dal and varattu chapathi with tasteless bhajis. Oce I came abroad, lunch means taking a bite at a sandwich and now I wish even thayir sadam will be like amirtham.

Regards,

TDU

2. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi TDU,

Proves all good fiction comes from real life! ( hahahaha...) Reality bites!

3. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Twinsmom,

Couldn't wait for my hubby to come from office and so I forwarded your article to him in his office.He was thrilled to read the article and said,"I can imagine how Kalyanasundaram must have felt when he was deprieved of the food he grew up with".Keep posting such nice articles.:2thumbsup:

Regards,

Asha

4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Thank you asharao...
    That is a great way of motivating me...:)

5. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your short story!! There's nothing more satisfying than eating traditional food from the region one belongs to & that too mom's cooking!! Mmm.....nothing like iddli, vada, dosa, filter kaapi, etc.

Like u mentioned, here in North Indian restaurant buffet i always find half cooked rice tempered with jeera labelled 'plain rice' & always wondered how that can pass off as rice!!

Am sure this 'Extramarital affair' is pardonable!!:)

Cheers!
    Ragini.

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

Like Ragini says, this "extra marital affair is pardonable". These days, unless we go to restaurants in rural/moffusil areas, we don't get to hear the server announce the choice of menu in one breath. It would sound so melodious and make us drool and hungry all the more. Most of the restuarants these days just thrust the menu card in our hands and leave us to choose among them. Once we choose an item on the menu card, there will be a cold reply saying, it is available only after 7 p.m. I prefer the former style of catering to the latter.

I loved your description of the thayir sadam making.. Pazhaya sadam, kattu thayir and kadugu mangai. I am on my way to the kitchen now :tongue .

Regards
    Vidya

7. suja6

suja6 New IL'ite

hi twinsmom,

your story and its title are really good. my experience is different from all of you. my husband is from our relatives only and my MIL also cooks food same as i do. but my husband always wants northindian dishes along with chapathi or roti. if i cook in my style, he say... oh, same andhra food.he is exactly opposite to kalyansundaram.

8. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Twinsmom and everyone

I'm a true blue Punjabi... well truly speaking we have never had BOILED rice at home... and we really dont know how to boil it properly... for us rice means "jeera rice" and i just love it to the core. we have rice (read jeera rice) with rajma, chholey... ummmmm... and rest all the time Chapatis...

well i love masala dosas and all kinds of south indian foods... but at the end of the day... I need my Dal makhni, palak paneer, shahi paneer.... with generously buttered naans... for us eating out means this menu... and even at home... hosting a dinner means... rajma, paneer, palak paneer, shahi koftas, dahi bhalle and the Laccha paranthaa's and much more...

Right said, wherevere you are, and whatever you be.. ultimately you need the food with wich you have grown up...

like the saying goes "Punjabiyan di shaan vakhri" which means "Punjabis have a pride of their own"

~Abha

9. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

hahaha Abha,

That was not meant to offend... It is just fiction... Each of us, deeply rooted in our cultures as we are, find it very difficult to adapt... however much we may try! It just happened that Kalyanasundaram married Sabarjeet... It would been equally comical even if he had married Deboshree and had to adjust with Veggies cooked in mustard oil...
    Sorry if I offended you... It IS Fiction!

10. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Ohh Come on:notthatway:

I wasnt offended yaar... it was just that everybody was talking about their home food so how cud i be left behind... I had to brag too...

I mean ... Duh... my food was being criticised or in a way was given secondary status.. I had to come up with a defensive strategy...:) haha . I mean, even if it is an extra marital affair, it is my sweetheart after all, i have to protect it. :-D

Chill
    ~Abha