1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An eventful Republic day for us

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jan 28, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

An eventful Republic day for us
    Do not get deceived by the title thinking that we attended the Republic day function at New Delhi or one of our close relatives was awarded Padmasri or Paramvir chakra award
    When the country was celebrating the shastiyabthapoorthi of our democracy we were engaged in a most important task. In the morning after having our coffee, as usual my DH went to the balcony to see our favourite plants. All in a sudden a flock of crows were cawing frantically and were flying hither and thither. When he went to see what was the matter he saw a crow got entangled in a manja thread of a kite on top of a tree in front of our flat.
    He immediately came and told me. I too went and saw and it was a very pathetic sight. He tried his best just by making shoo shooing sound thinking that it would give him moral support to get himself free. But alas! Nothing happened! The poor fellow was fluttering his one free wing and was also trying with his beak to get free. Seeing his predicament my DH called the watch man who is nearly in his seventies and he told nothing could be done. We then tried if we could get a big bamboo stick we could reach the branch and could set him free. But we could not get one.
    Then I told my DH to call the fire service and they would come and set him free. The fire service man told that we had to inform the blue cross for such matters and he also gave the number. So we called the blue cross and the person who answered told that they would register a complaint and as no one was available, they would send some one as and when they come. We felt so bad to see the precarious condition of the crow that was hanging with one wing. We felt it was our bounden duty to set it free some how.
    Then we placed a call to Times of India office thinking that they would be definitely able to help us through some source. To our great disappointment the person who answered said that all their crew had left to different places to cover the Republic day function and no camera man was available as if we solicited a photographer to cover the rescue operation!
    Finally we again wanted to try our luck with the fire brigade and so called them again. There was a good Samaritan and he took our address and told that he would come immediately with his crew. We were very much relieved to hear this.
    At last the fire brigade arrived and they also asked for a bamboo stick. But when we told our inability to provide one, one of the men climbed up the tree. He tried to break the branch by bending it. So he kept on shaking the branch and it seems some how the thread got loose and within a blinking of an eye, the crow set himself free and flew away. We really felt very happy and our joy knew no bounds. Hats off to the Chennai Fire brigade for their humanitarian approach and service. As a token of our gratitude we paid a small amount of money for tea and snacks. I have also attached their photos as a tribute to their good samaritan act.
    I have to tell one more thing. Our P.C. Sriram captured it in our camera. I am posting some pictures. I have two video clips also showing the rescue operation and those who are interested to see live action can visit the following site.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Srinivasan.Kuravi/CrowGetCaughtInKiteThreadAtTreeTop#
    One more thing I have to share with you is that not even a single person came out from their flat to see what was happening. But some people saw the khaki clad fire brigade men and thought they were from police force. After they left they asked the watchman why police had come to the flat.
    But when the fire service vehicle took a wrong turn my DH shouted from our balcony calling out to them. Hearing that our neighbour who is a lady doctor residing at the second floor came to our house to find out what was happening.
    Our 60<sup>th</sup> Republic day is a memorable one for us and it would be evergreen in our memory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    2 people like this.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli ma'am,
    :clap:clap..the first one to you and your dh..for the thought of helping the helpless crow..
    The second one is for the fire brigade members who helped the crow to fly freely...
    The way you had put it out...shows that how irresponsible our agencies are in this regard...
    As people live in their own world...they don't even bother what's is going on, in the next door...this is pathetic...

sriniketan

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

PS
    The title did make me thing you went to Delhi or something. This is different.
    Looking at the picture the plight of the crow looks very sad.
    It is indeed very kind of you and your husband to take all the actions that you mention till you were able to get help.
    Also you thought of taking pictures.:)
    Glad to hear the crow managed to fly away in one piece and thanks to the men of the fire brigade.:thumbsup

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, you have rightly said,
    As people live in their own world...they don't even bother what's is going on, in the next door...this is pathetic...
    There is a misconception that apartments are safer. In this incident though no crime was committed, people didn't even come out and see what was happening. This is really frustrating.
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear AC,
    First it did not occur to us to take pictures. Later we thought if we take the picture and send it to some newspaper at least people would have some awareness to deal with this kind of situation instead of looking at the other way.
    You should also see the video clip to see how the crow was struggling to get itself free.
    Thanks for stepping in,
    Love,
    PS

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear pushpa mam,

i really :clap your efforts to help the poor bird..i too would have felt terrible and would have taken all efforts to free it myself but wonder whether i would have had the presence of mind to call the fire brigade..

nice to know there are such good samaritans...and yes u will never forget this republic day..please convey my congratulations to Mr P.C Sriram for the wonderful pictures :)

love
    Mindi

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Mam...
    That's really a great effort from both of you to help the bird let free...
    Best part is your presence of mind to take pics too...
    hats off to both of you...

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli Maam,
    Hats off to you and your family for taking so much efforts &care for rescuing that crow. :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype> - Because of good Samaritans like you only; <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> is still going on.......

So many of us have seen those kind of helpless situations. Its good to hear that Fire Brigade (to my utter surprise) obliged. I'm feeling so happy for that crow :)
    Blue cross denied your request - sounds ridiculous Rant
    None from your flat to take a look - ohh Maam, it was simbhu and Namitha on the TV screens.....so how will they!bonkbonk

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mindian,
    Thanks for your encouraging reply. All lives are created by God. The utmost we can do is to help when we find them in distress. If we have the good intention God will show the way. If you were in our position you definitely would have done some thing.I"ll convey your appreciating message to P.C.
    Love,
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Vahee,
    Thanks a lot for dropping in and for your appreciation.
    Love,
    PS