1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An appalling crisis!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom
    This point was initially raised by Mythraeyi in the following post:
    Sir,
    I'm sorry to say I find this post a little derogatory to women - and that too in a women's forum. Would your friend's reaction have been the same if it was his son who had scored such high marks instead of his daughter? I am no feminist but in this day and age when daughters are as good as sons, I find such reactions hard to understand. Forgive me if this was meant to be a humorous post - I didn't get it!

I have replied to it in post #12
    Sri

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Good post. Usually bright students only dont get the opportunity to study as they wish because of financial problems. I remember when my brother after passing Xth wanted to do Engineering. But seeing the financial condition of our house he had to go to work to help my father and did his graduation studying in night college. Also during his school days when he was in the higher class he used to teach and earn money. He first joined as Accountant in Indian Oil then rose to Adminstrator. He changed his job with a high post and did well in his life.

My dh always saves some money for the future. Because of his economic nature we could get our two daughters married and leading a peaceful retired life. Now also he is economic and does not like to spend money on unnecessary things.

My son also instead of doing Engineering studied CA and when he was in training in our office learnt ERP and now he is a Director in a Company which he and hisfriend are managing financed by someone else. CA and ERP knowledge helps him a lot.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    I wrote this four years back. But now the situation has changed for the better with the Banks being instructed by RBI that all educational loan applications must be expeditiously ans sympathetically dealt with. Going abroad for higher studies or pursuing a technical course in India are all now withing the reach of middle class families. There is still the problem of capitation fees which the Banks do not finance. Though the Government has issued strict instructions against the charging of capitation fees, it is going on merrily behind the scene.

CA and ERP are a good combination. I am happy for your son.
    Sri

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am a big proponent of helping families to come up through their own efforts rather than giving gifts to them. Government of Tamilnadu is giving free mixie, free TV, free bicycle, free computer, etc. to families who are below poverty line. Why not they set up a fund for helping students who are deserving whether they are from middle class family or from lower income group? Elite will always find a way to educate the children and if they don't, they will find the way to keep the children involved in something.

In my opinion, good governance is helping families to make their one livelihood and get to the next stage of growth as opposed to giving free things. I am even for having at least one child out of another family being funded for education other than our own children, if we could afford to educate them.

Personally, I have helped a student in the U.S., whose parents couldn't afford to educate him in the U.S. to go through first few semesters (financially helping him - He later paid it back) after which the student managed himself to finish the course. He is now employed in a great corporation. Another student, who came to the United States but could not find a summer work and I helped him to get recruited in another big corporation. Later, when he finished his M.S., he was recruited by the same company. This kind of little action would make us feel happy.

P.S. I have experienced the proverb, "Urar Pillayai Utti Valathal, than pillai thane valarum" (If you help other children, your children will grow on their own) physically. My son finished his school here in the U.S. and when he was getting ready to go to do undergrad, he obtained Florida Bright Future Scholarship and hence I never paid anything towards his college fee. Later, when he finished his undergrad and wanted to pursue Graduation and Ph.D. in Thermal Science, he was given a research associate job in the University that pays him good salary besides waiver of college fee for his studies.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    I entirely agree with you. The successive Governments particularly in Tamilnadu have raised an entire generation that does not understand the value of hard labour thanks to all the freebies given.From mere dress materials and rice, it has now reached the level of free colour TV, free mixie, free grinder, free gas stoves and free gas! The poorer sections of the community that thrive on these freebies have lost the motivation to aspire for anything bigger in life unless it is given free by the Government! I strongly believe in the dictum 'Don't give them fish; instead teach them fishing'.

I am truly appreciative of what little you are able to do for the poor. Their blessings and good wishes will talk you quite far in your life. It is already evidenced by the advancement in your bright son's life. May God bless him!
    Sri