1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An appalling crisis!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Roopa
    Thanks a lot for coming in with your valuable suggestions. I am sure the young parents in IL will certainly benefit from the kind of planning that you have suggested.
    A favourite quote of mine is this:
    "It now costs more to amuse a child than it once did to educate his father"
    Flippant though it may sound, I think it is quite profound and emphasises the need to prepare ourselves.

A majority of our people never plan for anything. With consumer products from all over the world flooding the market and the buying power of the middle class people artificially enhanced by banks offering credit cards and easy loans, people are just not able to save. It is sad to see that more and more young executives falling into a debt trap gradually.

In such a scenario, your tips are not only timely but quite valuable too! As you rightly say, I really wonder how many of our young parents do really think on these lines. I am glad that my thread has really stimulated a discussion that I was looking for!
    Thanks again
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Nice to know that you are in tune with me here.

A few days back i had a few friends over for dinner...and one of them remarked ab bada TV lelo is ghar mein yeh chotu achha nahin dikhta hain.

I am using my small bedroom TV in the living room currently...but i said it serves my purpose and i have other things on priority to buy rather than invest in a big TV.

Also i have 2 girls with me my neice and my my husbands cousin sister...so i don't want them to see that things come easily...but we have to prioritize everything in life. Having an 80 bucks coffee at CCD is not life ...but spending an hour at the orphanage nearby si life.

It is our outlook to life and how well we can convince of the simplicity to others is in our hands...getting influenced by others and straying away is easy...but if we are in the right track and if we can make someone follow that is life.

Roopa.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    Well said. The simmering discontent will eventually result in an explosion. In the name of redressing the social inequalities, some politicians are having a whale of a time. A country can illafford to let its cream suffer like this. There has already been a tremendous amount of brain-drain in the last five decades.
    Thank you for your appreciation for my signature.
    Sri

4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri

That is a pertinent crisis indeed. It is amazing that you churn out such timely and relvant topics. I could visualize the crisis in my uncle's house when my cousin finished her school a couple years back. At this rate I think, a student from a forward community joining medicine in a good government college would just be a wishful thinking.

-Gayathri.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Gayathri
    Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
    Nothing can be more unfair than our inability to provide enough educational opportunity to an enterprising student due to reasons beyond our control. It is regrettable that education has become a flourishing business in our country. Most of the engineering colleges, for example, are owned by politicians or people close to the powers that be. There are dozens of Engineering colleges on the Chennai-Vellore highway which can not be attributed to the benevolent nature of the so called 'doyens' of education.
    Sri

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Roopa
    Bowhats off to you for such a wonderful reply and yur way of thinking too.. These days its not uncommon for people to have t.v.'s in every room and I really could never understand why.. also one needs to learn to put things in proper priority.. that even applies to time.. I too might like to go shopping or go watch a movie with my girlfriends but not if it means spending less time with my husband.. that could easily apply to even going to the temple..I know so many ladies who would rather spend more time at the temple than with their families then they would complain they feel alienated from family..bonk I am sure you realise Roopa that we are in the minority bec we think differently..

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Are you sure, you are writing
    I too might like to go shopping or go watch a movie with my girlfriends but not if it means spending less time with my husband
    after verifying facts with Anand?
    He may disagree - he is likely to say "appadi, thank God for small mercies" !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Sir,
    When I saw the title, I rushed in (like a fool?). I agree with you that it would be difficult-not nowadays though. Now nationalised banks are running behind students to give educational loans, even for graduation courses. Sometimes it would be difficult with some branches, but with persevarance, loan can be obtained for any course now.
    My niece did her PG that way and she repayed that amount with in one year of finishing her studies.
    Tuition fees, exam fees adn even hostel fees are included.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Varloo
    Having been a Senior Bank executive myself, I agree that there are plenty of educational loan schemes to suit every need and our Hon'ble Finance Minister gives a stern warning to Banks from time to time that if they show any reluctance to process loan applications under such schemes, he would come down heavily on them. While in the metros, Banks are more liberal, the situation is far different in urban, semi-urban and rural areas. The mindset of the executives in smaller branches is that any loan sanctioned is a potential headache. If the executives are promoted from the Ranks, it would be still worse. I agree that Banks are full of schemes but at the grassroot level, there is certainly a perceptible reluctance to recommend these loans.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    Had it been his son, would he have minded? Wouldn't he have run from pillar to post and fallen on any feet to secure an admission for him? Why the discrimination??? We of the middle class will remain there unless we broaden our minds...!