1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Affair and Its Aftermath - A Real Life Story

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

It is malathi's mistake, as others said, she should not have allowed her sister to stay with them. atleast, she should have that conscious and should drawn lines between them....but in this story i dont think that the man realised the msitakes he made..it is only the two women who suffered and the man didn't suffer

The same pblm was faced by my friend also, it was her cousin sister who crossed her life...but she found it in the starting stage itself. u know what she did? she didn't fight with him, she didn't tell it to his/her parents and create a scene.....she just talked with her husband openly....she made him to think and realise what a blunder he did....soon they moved to some other city and now they are leading a happy life.....

It is a very good lesson to every woman that they should not allow their close friend or sister to stay with them and move very close to their husband. Ladies shuld be very conscious and should not let others serve their husband.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A Different Perspective, Surya!

Fortunately for your friend her strategy of talking directly to her husband worked out. But, honestly, Surya, I don't think it would work out in every case. In Malathi's case also she confronted her husband but it did not work. Men blinded by lust and infatuation will never listen to wife's reasoning.
    As you said rightly Malathi should not have allowed her sister to stay with her. Every woman (and of course every man) should be constantly alert and avoid such tempting situations.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

I agree with Meena and Maggie

Sridhar..

Even when you have mentioned that it is a real life story, I can never accept Malathi's actions. Moreover, I also dont acceot your contention as well as some other's that it was foolish of malathi to have brought her sister Latha in the first place . If it was not Latha, it could have been Balan's Secretary or female colleague and he should have been never taken back by Malathi that too making so many plans. You have made it as if she has gained her 'Paradise back' when it is not so in my openion. Once a man commits adultery, he should be just shunned away. After all her scheming, what Malathi has got? a secondhand husband? But the most benefeciary is Balan as he could eat his cake and have it too. Sridhar.. sorry to say this ..but your contention that when a man or woman comes in physical contact, then immediately it can lead to something not desirable..There are many husbands and wives who have to live separately due to their job needs and I have seen them living like Rama and Sita even amidst many opportunities being offered to them to go wayard. There are also people like Balans and Latha's and also some wives who are not true to their husbands. But all said and done, Malathi should have led a dignified life taking care of her daughter and showing the door to her husband even if he had approached her.

Sushi

4. varalotti

Thanks Sushi For The Vehement Reply, but...

Dear Sushi,
    I am very happy to note that this story has impacted you so much to come out so vehemently against Malathi. Now these are my replies
    a) Agreed, if not for Latha, Balan could have gone astray with his secretary or his female colleague. But to tell you honestly, after having moved with many people, I do find that people like Balan are not normally womanisers. But given an opportunity they will always try to wag their tails. All said and done, Malathi bringing in Latha and creating circumstances for Latha and Balan, is not a prudent act.
    b) I have never said that Malathi has gained her 'paradise back.' If you read the last paragraph (again) you will find that she still remains a frustrated woman. She keeps an emotional distance from Balan and does not want a second child. She is not the old Malathi. Then why should she scheme to win Balan back? Well, I have answered this question a thousand times. Will do one more time for my dear friend. Now Malathi is betrayed by her husband and her sister. She is more hurt by her sister's actions (than her husband's) as they have grown up together as friends. Again when caught red handed the sister does not show any sense of remorse. Instead she was smiling, blushing and was taking Malathi for granted. So the foremost thought of revenge in Malathi's mind is against her sister. So in order to ruin her sister's life she 'wins' her husband back. If you ask me whether it is a rational decision, I'll say no. When in the height of emotions, while in the depth of despair caused by the worst possible betrayal, it's almost impossible for any normal human being to take a perfectly rational decision.
    c) Yes there are many Ramas and Sitas and an equal number of Balan's and Lathas. That makes the world interesting.
    thanks for joining (though late)and thanks for the strong replies.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

I Agree with Mrs CV

BEfore i start on my indeas, i would like to express my heartfelt appreciation and an awe for a writer like Varalotti Rengaswamy, who captivates the readers to such a large extent that we do feel so bad that the story has ended!!!

now coming back to the story, i dont have any sisters, but i do have a lot of girl cousins. So when Mrs CV said "or cousins" in her statement, i could visualise it and feel the pain probably Malathy might have gone through, and if that pain happened in reality, well! like Mrs CV said " how can we accept them back?" is STRONGLY my view also. Basically i am also naive to some extent, well this story has helped on my 'enlightenment', however nice your husband may be, circumstances may make them go haywire! Thanks for the lovely story, and keep your wonders going!

Now i have to rush to ChitVish column.. it almost lunch time!!! :)

Regards ,
    Purnima

6. varalotti

When I thought it was all over...

Purnima,
    when I thought it was all over you have butted in with your strong views. First my heartfelt thanks for your nice words. We writers could survive without food or water but not without nice words of praise.
    Whatever CV said was voiced by most of the members that they wont accept such a husband back. I always pose this question. Suppose the woman has an affair with the husband's brother or cousin and after a while she comes back, will any man accept her? Not at all. But a woman always or at least most of the times, accepts an errant husband.
    But in this case I did not have any choice as Malathi was not a character created by me but a real life character. And she wants badly to take vengeance on her own sister Latha. Accepting her husband (or I would say pretending to accept her husband) is part of her overall scheme. If you see the last few words of the thread you will know that her acceptance is not total but only partial.
    thanks for your views, Purnima.
    Now go to the Malathi-mother-in-law thread and let me have your views.
    regards,
    Varalotti

7. akshara

akshara New IL'ite

Malathi seems to be an ideal and impractical character!

Hello Sir,

I am new to this site, but I have heard about your writings in this site from my friend Rathi who referred me here.

So, I got to the site and started to read the reviews for this story, being so hot. Having read about this Malathi who accepted this kind of husband back, I got tempted to read how she dealt with her Mother-in-law.

My goodness you keep mentioning that Malathi is a real life character. I am not able to believe it though. She seems to be an ideal and impractical personality who can exist only in TV serials and Cinemas.

However, why don't you get this Malathi to this site? I would like to discuss and get her views.

Your writings are really lively, do keep up your good work.

Warm wishes,
    Akshara.

8. varalotti

Ideal All Right, But Impractical.......

Akshara,
    (Incidentally yours is a very good name. It means "undestroyable" and I am sure, Akshara, that you have an indestructible will to match your name.
    The Affair Malathy and the Mother-in-law Malathy are two different persons. About the affair Malathy I read her interview in a magazine several years back. I had stored the main points in that interview in my system. Then I constructed a story out of it for IL. The essentials are real while I took the typial writers' liberty with the details.
    The mother-in-law Malathi is very real. I saw her in person and heard the story from her, as they say heard it from the horse's mouth. I do agree Malathi is an ideal person but not impractical. Akshara, if we rule out all idealits as impractical persons then the world will be populated only by practical crooks. Agreed it is very difficult to be like that Malathi. I honestly confess that if my daughter or sister is placed in a similar situation today I won't advise them to follow Malathi's footsteps. But her days were different and given her circumstances she did her best. The best thing about her was that she made a clear distinction between hating the actions of a person and hating the person herself.
    I am grateful for the nice words you have expressed about my writings. Now that you are in a proper mood, why don't you go to the Anatomy of an Indian Marriage thread and give your views?
    regards
    Varalotti

9. akshara

akshara New IL'ite

Sorry about confusing with both Malathi's...

Varalotti,

Sorry for confusing with both of the Malathi's in your stories. I meant these Malathi's are impractical, because following their way of life is very very difficult - not practically possible atleast for me. Especially these days when women tend to be so independent, with self-respect and dignity.

The Malathi in the mother-in-law story seems to have distinguished between the person and her actions. But is it really possible to love a person, inspite of their hateful actions? I really can't! Whenever I see a person with such actions, especially those that have hurted me, I would not even bother to care for that person anymore. I would tend to forget the person and stay away from them for all they did. That's me.

Thank you for the good words about my name. I didn't know it had a meaning 'undestroyable'.

10. varalotti

Malathis may be Impractical, But They Are Real, Akshara!

Thanks for the response, Akshara. I have been in the world of fiction for donkey's years. But these two Malathies have nothing to do with my imagination. They are real, and one Malathi (the mil thread Malathi) I have seen in flesh and blood and have interacted with her. The other Malathi I picked from a womans magazine several years ago.
    At the same time, Akshara, I do agree that we cannot be like those Malathies. The only reason we are glorifying these Malathies is that they did something which normally people of our stature cannot do.
    Thanks for the response, Akshara.
    Varalotti