1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Affair and Its Aftermath - A Real Life Story

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 17, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Zingy,

thanks for the nice fb. Admittedly Malathi is not so good. She wants to get even. And she could not do that so long as her husband and her sister are on the same side. She goes out of the way to see them separated. Even her accepting her husband back was not out of compassion to him; but only to teach him a lesson, and teach her sister too a lesson.

And the incident you have narrated is very disturbing. I salute the girl and more than that, her nice, supportive husband.
    In this society we have animals like that one who misbehaved with a 17 year old kid and we have real angels like her supportive husband.

Looking forward to reading your comments on my blogs.
    sridhar

2. anu1975

anu1975 New IL'ite

I just chanced upon this story and I am really glad I did. I don't know why I went directly to this story, maybe the 'A real life story' tagline attracted me and I registered right away only to reply tho this.

I really salute to Malathi, for standing so strong, mayb she had a moment of weakness when she tried to commit suicide but that was the only moment and she held herself well after that,not just well but I wud say, she did BRILLIANT. Had I been in her place, I cudn't have done half better. The way she stayed focused, first on her career inspite of the pain she was in and then on her goal was excellent. She did have many options from taking a legal step to bringing in relatives to solve the prob, but she did it in a way that left no loopholes. She must not have seen guilt in the eyes of her husband when caught, but doesn't she see his guilt stricken face everyday?....can he forget even for a day what he had done to his wife?...I am sure he will be very well aware of what he had lost, though he still has his wife, that total love and trust that was once there. That pain that he wud never get that back and the guilt that wud remain as long as he lived, is the greatest punishment, I think, she cud have meted out for being betrayed so cruelly by the two most loved ones of her life. Not just to his wife, wud he not feel guilty for having left his daughter for another woman? Didn't he lose the pleasure of being a proud father to a lovely daughter? Wudn't he be reminded of his failure of being a good father in her early stages of growing with every achievement of her's?....wud Malathi have achieved all this had she confronted him directly?....and her reasoning that she didn't want them to be bonded in fighting against her...WOW! what a clarity of thought! In these days, where we try to seek immediate justice and revenge, she got herself one after years of patience and toil and scheming.....WOW! The word scheming never sounded so virtuous to me ever before. I also like it that she didn't give any chance to either justify or to apologize for both her husband or her sister.

Having said that, I do also pity her for the pain she goes through inspite of no mistake of her's, for those unanswered questions, for having lost that tender heart, for having to live under the fear of the past, for carrying that pain till her grave or mayb beyond.

It wud be unfair here If I don't take a bow to her Father-in-love. In a world where parents usually stand by their own children and try to push all the blame on their spouses, here is a father who not only stood by his daughter-in-law but actually gave her the vision, purpose and strength. Wish this world had more such fathers....and what a shame....Mr. Balan who had such wonderful ppl in his life cud stoop so low for momentary happiness. He had no reason to even try to justify his act......neither can he blame his upbringing nor his wife who was always caring. We always justify our behaviour by blaming our circumstances, here Mr. Balan has no circumstance to even blame and how wud he blame and how cud he defend himself when he is never questioned.

Lesser talked abt Latha the better, but I wonder why she chose to rob away her sister's happiness when he cud have learned to love, to care form her sister? Was it her jealousy or greed and lack of morals or just not knowing life enough?

3. Salaswathi

Salaswathi Senior IL'ite

Yes.. I read this story after many, many, many years. Making the main woman in the story get gilted, and then work to become successful, raise her daughter by herself, be independent, and yet, eventually take her cheating husband back, and become subservient to the former husband, is the kind of thinking, and teaching that keeps girls, and women down in India.

Malathy should have married again, to someone else; or remained single, and should have hired goondas, like in the bollywood movies, to take proper revenge on those who betrayed her.

4. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

to read its easy but poor malathi, what phases of feelings/moods she would have under gone... i really pity her n i feel wat would happen if my hubby does this to me.. now after reading this im scared to death if this would hapen to me..not sister..but may b his colleagues????or some1... goddd... i should not suspect but rather should i believe that he s a gem!! dunno wat to do / feel??? really my head is paining now...