1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An AD that whacked me......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi vidya,

Thanks for peeping in. carry on with your reply..(I dont want to influence the ideas of anyone.)

You can give advice if you feel you are qualified to give the advice, or you feel the other person is seriously asking and you think you can help them out....

This is my opinion only...:tongue

2. sm_dinoji

sm_dinoji New IL'ite

Hi,

"But it’s important not to tell people what to do. There’s a significant difference between saying, “I did this and found it quite helpful” versus saying, “You should do this.”

You have quoted.

This is follow in my life. But this has also backfired on me. Many still think I am advising though I give personal examples.

I don't know. May be keeping silent and listening to other persons problems will solve there problem more than speaking of our own experience.

Regards
    Dinoji

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dinoji,

I can understand how it feels. most of us advice based on our own experiences..but the person receiving it may not want to accept it..even in what ever way it is presented. so it is your call to whom and when you want to give opinion/suggestions.......but with an open mind...because the person to whom you advice may react different than your expectations.....:thumbsup

4. Tweety

Tweety Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    You are 200% correct. I never advise in relationships as it is unique to everyone. (nobody wants to be criticised in that)
    From my childhood days i hate being advised and advising others(as i think i should follow that first before i instruct).
    But i accept indirect advises from experienced.(their actions speak for themselves)
    One more interesting fact is that when we are aware of anybody's problem we have n number of solutions in hand, but if we have any problem we need some consoling heart which in turn is ready to give advise:tongue.

Advise offered on request is good as long as it makes one to think clearly and soothe the broken heart:rotfl

so my advise, sorry suggestion is :tongue:tongue:tongue
    For freelance adviser : Dont ever critisize the person who seeks advise.Empathise and cheer them up if possible.
    advise receivers:When you want to recieve advise in open forum be ready for the critics as well, as all are over enthu... that they forget if their words are healing or hurting..

Thanks shanthi for opening such a nice thread.This will definitely make people to think before they post.

-Tweety

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi tweety,

Looks it has hit the bulls eye correctly...thanks for peeping in...

I feel more than advice, we need somebody to listen to us with patience without passing any criticism or comments when we have a problems thats what friends are for....but when the same person seriously needs suggestions i am game for it.....what are few sly comments/remarks if i can put a smile back on somebody's face...right.....:thumbsup

On this i remember the anecdote in the life of ramakrishna paramahamsa...have i already narrated this here I dont remember...but it goes like this...a mother takes her son to guruji complaining "Guruji, my son eats so much sweets, that it sometimes makes him sick...please advice him on that" guruji just smiled and said "come back next month i will definitely advice..".. so the mother came back a month later with her son....Guruji said "Son eating anything more than normal is harmful and also listen to your mother..." The mother was surprised..and asked "Guruji, for this simple advice why did you want me to come a month later, you could have told him at the first instant" For this guruji said, "last month, I was also eating too much sweets. it took me a month to control myself. now i can advice your son. mother wanted to pass this message to me through your son" :clap what a powerful message...practice before you preach

I hope you have read my invisible/invincible disclaimer!!!:tongue. sorry to bore you yaar.....

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanti,
    Nice one. Me being a counsellor especially student counsellor I am always forced to give advices to students specifically to the teenagers (rioters as their teachers and parents say). But they are the best listeners in the world. Dont ask me whether they take it to their heart. Some of them and some dont. But I had always felt they keep all the advises given to them be it good or bad, they use it whenever the need arise.

But yes advise is the only free thing that we get after air. But if we all could be like Lord Buddha, who didnot take the abuse which he didnot want, we need not worry about the abuses that we get after we had given advices with a good heart and good sense.

It is also true that giving advice is very easy but to follow it by ourselves is very difficult and many a times I have personally felt that. I counsel lots of kids and their parents but when it comes to my own, at times I tend to loose my temper. :bang:bang:bang.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi rajmi,

thanks for peeping...who knows, one of today's rioters could be an great person tomorrow..keep up the good work. Advising students is part of your duty..so no questions on whether it is taken /or not....you have to do it... :thumbsup

Did buddha take abuse ..that is news to me...btw when i was talking to somebody she asked me to define ABUSE???..i also would like to know...:-(. (but i know you mean the remarks/comments right??)

i read somewhere, when your mom asks do you need advice...it means you are going to get it whether you want or not... but i dont want to be that type of mom..but you know, what it is easier said than practiced.

I have thought about it a lot...you know when veda used to teach chess to my friend's son he used to be as if patience was his other name. but when it came to our own kids..the story was different..is it because our expectations for our kids are different or is it because we think we can take the liberty because they are our kids...:bang:bang

8. Tweety

Tweety Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    Not at all boring. that anecdote is worth reading any number of times. whenever i read some of the threads i feel as if i'm conversing with them directly:). Your writings are one among them. Thanks yaar..:thumbsup
    Tweety.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi tweety,

Thanks for the compliment. certain anecdotes really carry so much punch and message..and i never get tired of hitting my kids with them frequently.:tongue:tongue.

I am known for writing long letters...and am made fun by lot of our friends!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,
    The story of Lord Buddha taking abuse goes this way.
    Lord Buddha was strongly crticized during His days. As of such, one person used to verbally abuse Him whenever he sees Him or whenever He goes for alms. It went on and on for days, still no reaction from His side. The person was surprised and he asked Lord Buddha himself, why are you keeping silent with these kind of verbal abuses. To him, He replied that it is like this--'if you give me something which i don't want you had to take it back, likewise I don't want that abuse and ultimately it goes to you'.

As you had pointed out that we are patient with our friends kids and not the same with our kids, it is true. i am being impatient in helping my son do his homework, but in earlier days where i took tuition to 2-3 kids, I was patience-personified.:tongue

Sriniketan