1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Accountant's Thoughts On the New Year!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 1, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

Wish You and Yours a very happy and a prosperous new year. May 2008 and the years to follow bring tidings of peace, harmony, happiness and prosperity to you.

One more year has gone into history never to return. A new year is born and as it is still young and tender, it is full of hopes and promises.

As an accountant I am fascinated with numbers. When I drive my car my eyes will be on the numbers flashing on the odometer. I love to watch the number of kilometers the car has run so far. I used to jump with joy when I see round numbers like 5000, 10000.

My wife used to say, 'What's the big deal? They are just numbers. After 4999, 5000 has to come. '

True. But when you see a round number or a beautiful number like 11111 if you love numbers, you feel special. Change of a year in the calendar is just the same. It's no big deal. Once a year has ended another has to come. It is just a man-made calendar. In a way celebrating new year is like my celebrating beautiful numbers appearing on the car's odometer.

But wait. Beginning of a year can also be an occasion for introspection. When a financial year ends, companies draw up Profit and Loss Accounts and Balance Sheets. They are just conventional forms of looking back on what has happened, focussing mainly on the financial aspects.

We too can draw up our Profit and Loss Accounts and Balance Sheets - not just covering our financial successes and failures but on all aspects of life.

The companies would focus on sales, profits and assets. But our life's balance sheets should focus only on our happiness and fulfilment. If you are happy you are successful. If you are fulfilled you are rich.

Before it is too late draw up the Balance Sheet for 2007 and from that, you will get significant pointers for 2008.

I am not a religious man. I am no guru. I don't know how to preach. At best I can only share with you what I experienced or what I know. I enjoyed this anecdote on happiness.

There used to be a Guru who was always happy. He will sit by his window and watch his garden all day except for a few hours of classes.

One day the prince of the town who was his student asked him,

"Guruji, why are you always happy, while I am not so?"

The Guru had a hearty laugh.

"Son, come here to my seat and look at the garden. Tell me what you see."

"What's there to see? There's a huge oak tree and a small bush by the side."

"You see, I have been watcing the two for years. Both are quite happy. The bush has never asked the Oak tree, why are you so big, while I am so small.

"For the bush knows that its happiness lies in its smallness and the Oak knows that its happiness lies in its largeness. They are not only happy but harmoniously co-exist in the garden of God.

"If the bush were to aspire to grow like the Oak, well, it would never have tasted happiness in life. It would ask another small plant nearby, "Why are you always happy while I am not?"

The prince got the message and was always happy thereafter.

Once again, wish you a very happy new year, 2008

Love,

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

WISH YOU AND FAMILY A HAPPY & PROSPEROUS, HEALTHY & WEALTHY NEW YEAR.....

The P&L of 2007.... I had mad a huge profit.... A lot of friends and well wishers, who will enjoy with me when I am happy and who will cheer me when I am down, in IL...

The story is absolutely true and great....

Unfortunately or fortunately.... being in accounts and calender year is the Financial year over here.... Spent the whole new year eve in the Office and am still very early to office for year closing....

May the New year bring in all the happiness, prosperity, health and wealth to one and all in IL...........

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND FAMILY.
    It was nice start of the year, your very warm post. Thank you.
    Yes, each on has its own place in this universe. And we should feel peaceful and content to be there. Nobody can become another. And no need to compare ourselves with others. Let's be what we are.

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mr. Sridhar,

WISHING YOU & YOUR FAMILY A HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR !!

A thought provoking write up for new year :hatsoff. The P & L of 2007, made a huge profit where I have lot of friends from IL who are there in my times of need . 2007 was mixed with good & sad moments but this is a part of life which we have to face & become strong.

I pray to the almighty to give everybody the strength to face life and take it as it comes.:gift:clap:clap

Luv
    Lalitha
    PS: Dear Sir, kindly call me Lalitha & not Madam as it looks very formal.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    From an appreciation of figures to an appreciation of numbers is a giant leap forward in our Spiritual Evolution!
    I wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year! May God be with you in all your endeavours as you look for new peaks to scale!
    Regards
    Sri

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sridhar,

2007, balance sheet for me had a lot of credits and few debits,but today when i tried to balance it looked perfect... that is the way of life..right...

Got a lot of friends, came to know i could express in words to a small extent(?),been of a little help to lot of people.

this year has reiterated my faith in the miracles of prayers and has shown me the great human chain in IL.

Numbers do fascinate me...but figures are great as long as i watch along with veda..:queen.

coexistence, contentment and adjustment is the story from the oak and the bush...and a great note to start ....

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year. may god grant you everything you deserve and desire...

7. varalotti

Dear Veda Vyasan,

Thanks for your kind wishes. I once again wish you, Shanthi and the children a very happy and a prosperous new year.

Not only you, Veda Vyasan, but the whole lot of us made a huge profit in terms of friends we got in this wonderful site. It is but proper to think of the lady by whose vision this site was born. I mean Malathy. May she and her family be always blessed.

I know the fate of accountants during fiscal year end. And during that time our celebration will be the tallying of figures and finishing the reports. At least with regard to this statement I can say, "Been there, done that."

I am proud and very much pleased to echo your prayers -

MAY EVERY ONE IN IL BE BLESSED WITH HEALTH, HAPPINESS, PEACE AND PROSPERITY DURING 2008 AND ALL YEARS TO FOLLOW.

with love,

8. varalotti

Dear Varloo,
    Thanks a lot for your kind wishes. I wish you and your family members a great new year, a year of happiness, peace, prosperity and fulfilment.
    And before I forget thanks a lot for your e-card. I promptly replied by sending a thank-you card, but it bounced back. Perhaps there are so many people waiting to wish you and your in box is overflowing.
    May your life also overflow with happiness.
    You have captured the moral of the story in your own, simple,beautiful way.

Happy new year once again,
    regards,

9. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,

Let's first finish our deal on our names. I'll call you Lalitha, and you'll call me sridhar. As simple as that. You call me Mr.Sridhar, I'll call you Madam Lalitha. You can have your pick.

Thanks a lot for your kind wishes. My wife and daughter join me in wishing you a very happy and a prosperous new year.

I am happy to learn that you found the note thought-provoking. Each one of us is uniquely blessed. There will be nothing but pure happiness until we peep into others' bags of blessings.

I join you in your prayers for the happiness and prosperity of everyone who belongs to this wonderful site.

Love,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear Sri,

This new year is really special to me. For the great Cheeniya himself has visited this forum and has blessed me with his kind words.

Thanks a ton for your kind blessings.

I pray that the GAOTU bless you and yours with health, happiness and fulfilment.

Thanks Sri. But in my case I think it's happening in the reverse. To start with I appreciated the numbers. Only of late I have started appreciating the "figures".
    Naughty ILites, please stay away from this thread. At least dont look at this part of the post.

regards,