1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amulet's Coffee

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Amulet, Dec 12, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Elders from Kumbakonam advise that milk should be diluted and decoction should be thick to get strong coffee.If milk is undiluted, however thick, decoction is, coffee will be lighter only.
    jayasala 42

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I use 1% low fat and skim milk in 1:1 ratio boiled over stove (no microwave). plain 1% low fat millk is good too.

Another tip add milk to decoction mixed with sugar and not the other way around

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Laks09 likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I use whole milk without water. I'll definitely dilute the milk.

I poured it over the microwaved milk. Will try the reverse.

jskls likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

At the time I used a different brand of coffee powder(Ethiopian) mixed with chicory(70/30). I think I threw away the espresso maker.
    Definitely, since I already threw away a bunch of coffee beans DH got for me from Seattle because I didn't know how to roast it and powder it etc. If all else fails, I will try your method. I'll keep you all posted!

jskls likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Milk does not boil over in a microwave if it has a little water in it. Not too much.
    Decoction into milk is only for an experienced hand.
    Milk into decoction is the normal way; you can stop when the color of coffee is to your liking.
    You can froth at the same time as you pour the milk... like:

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

once upon a time, I heard this from a girl who lived with her inlaws. And she was expected to produce perfect coffee in the morning, with the usual madras-bangalore paraphernalia.
    I gave her a tip for use in emergencies, when the water went down too rapidly and the decoction was weaker than normal. I told her that she ought to have a small bottle of instant coffee (Bru or Nescafe would work fine) hidden behind the other canisters in the pantry. When the filter decoction fails, she would add judicious amount of instant coffee to whatever came out at the bottom beaker (decoction receptacle) to fortify the decoction to the usual darkness/strength.

If the failed decoction had been at least half as good as normal, this trick would work just fine. She should also mix less milk than normal (it would be a wee bit stronger) and serve it a wee bit hotter than usual. This combination of strong-hot would let it pass muster without any suspicion.

This is, of course, a very dangerous thing to do too often; because when the decoction is right, that will start to taste odd, and the empty bottles of Bru/Nescafe in the trash would have be explained.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Mixing Instant with decoction for someone who loves a perfect coffee taste does not work well. It’s not just the color but taste matters too

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Colombian Exelso Arabica beans - Tanzanian Peaberry beans - Roast them separately in Popcorn maker - Buy Medium roasted Chicory granutes - Grind them after mixing in proper proportion - Buy Vietnamese filter - Add right spoons of coffee powder and add hot water - Get decoction - add piping hot milk (1% low fat milk and skimmed milk at 1:1 ratio) heated in the stove and not in Microwave - add water - add sugar to taste.

I need a cup of coffee before I make this effort. :facepalm::BangHead:

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

No wonder the faint-hearted drink chai.

10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Balzac talks Bowel Movement:
    [​IMG]
    “This coffee falls into your stomach, and straightway there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move like the battalions of the Grand Army on the battlefield, and the battle takes place. Things remembered arrive at full gallop, ensign to the wind. The light cavalry of comparisons deliver a magnificent deploying charge, the artillery of logic hurry up with their train and ammunition, the shafts of wit start up like sharpshooters. Similes arise, the paper is covered with ink; for the struggle commences and is concluded with torrents of black water, just as a battle with powder.”

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018