1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

amla + shikakai costs

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by Andreea, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Andreea

Andreea New IL'ite

First of all, hello ladies :) I joined this forum mostly because I am sort of obsessed with my hair and I would like to switch to natural washing methods, the ones used in India since ancient times.

There are a couple of years now since I started oiling my hair which made a great difference, i gained back the lost hair, and also I am using SLS free shampoo. But, what brings me is that I want to try natural powders and see how they work.

Unfortunately, in my country I found just one seller online and the price was very high, it was double comparing to the prices I saw online from other countries. So my question is how much does 100g of amla/shikakai cost in India? I'm asking because I have an online friend who I can trust (but he's a male, this is why I am asking you, ladies) and maybe I could get the powders straight from India.

Thank you :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010

2. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Costs around 35 to 50 Rs. depends on the brand.

3. Andreea

Andreea New IL'ite

Oh, so it means my fellow romanians sell it 10 times more expensive. I thought so! :rant
    Thanks for the reply :)

4. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear Andreea,
    Not to put you off .. but..I am Indian and I live away from my homeland currently.. and this has been my experience with herbal powders related to haircare.. Natural and pure is of prime importance.. Within India, all shops/brands cannot be trusted equally..
    1. So,Your friend might have to do local research to buy the 'authentic' one.. else, ofcourse, you can check with ILs from India for information on best brand..
    {I have found a very authentic shop (not at al famous, but they are really trustworthy) in Hyderabad.. }
    2. Sometimes, even as I try to stock up as much as I can while I am in India, sometimes things get over.. :bowdown alternative ? I have started looking for making these powders at home.. ex. in the place where I live, hibiscus flowers grow in abundance during April to September.. So, I pluck flowers and dry them and make powders in batches and store ..
    3. Some things like Henna/ indian gooseberry etc are not available.. so what do I do..? I search western hair care forums for their methods.. ( like that, I learnt about avocado vegetable mash mask (conditioning) and this has suited my hair better than all the eggs, mayo, amla etc in the world.. )

So, yeah.. those are my 2 cents :thumbsup

5. Andreea

Andreea New IL'ite

Could you tell me the brand please (or PM it to me if it's not permitted to post brands and such)?
    Excuse my lack of knowledge, does hibiscus have the same cleansing properties as shikakai/amla/aritha ? And is it necessary to be flowers or leaves work as well? Where I live (Romania) we don't have hibiscus,but I'm spending my summer vacations in Cyprus as I'm half cypriot and there are a lot of hibiscus trees :bowdown

I was also thinking of doing avocado masks, but again, in local supermarkets I can't find quality avocados :rant, they don't have the butter consistency, it's a little frustrating, so I'll have to wait for the summer again when I'll get them straight from the trees.

And thanks, savannas, your reply was really informative :)

6. SubhMurali

SubhMurali New IL'ite

Hi Andreea,

To have a good hair using natural product, then i suggest you amla oil which cost Rs.66 only. Try this continuously for 1 month atleast. You definitely find the benefit from it.

7. Shriya55

Shriya55 Senior IL'ite

Do you have any idea how to get free from hair dryness problem?

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shriya,
    You need to oil your hair regularly apply warm coconut oil massage your scalp gently, leave it overnite n wash it with herbal shikakai powder to which chigare pudi (in telugu sisiru pudi, I think in Tamil usilam podi (ALBIZIA AMARA POWDER,) I guess this is scientific name)

Apply henna mask for hair weekly...
    Take hibiscus leaves mash them in mortar n pestle you will get sticky pates apply it to the hair (hair should be washed previous day) leave it for 1/2 an hr n wash with just water....

Even Castor oil is also very good you can warm equal qty of castor oil n coconut oil and apply to your hair using your fingers after an hour wash with Shikakai pwd.

Note: Never use very hot water for washing your hair as hot water deprives hair of its oil....

9. Shriya55

Shriya55 Senior IL'ite

Depend on the company brand!

10. Shriya55

Shriya55 Senior IL'ite

Thanks dear for such a wonderful tips! I will follow this suggestion dear!