1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Wrong Here?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Starkgirl, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

I think my DH falls in second category. He wants them to stay with us but refusing because I am saying NO . Thanks for this , I will keep your pointers in mind
    We do have plans to move abroad for couple of years may be after 8-10 months and DH is saying he will rent it out to inlaws during that time. When I asked him what will happen when we come back , he does not have any response
    How should I deal with it?

madhat likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cross that turbulence when the airplane comes to it. : ) A lot can happen between now and the abroad move.

madhat, SCA and Starkgirl like this.
  3. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

A very practical and logical input indeed. True that one.

Saying that, I think if the situation like what you said arises, you can let your in-laws continue to stay at your place but you can look for a rental as soon as you know you will be coming back. You take the initiative and search and get the apartment close by so that you can say that 'paavam let them continue being there we can always stay close by in another apartment'.
    I guess it is easy to give advice , not sure if this would work for me if I encountered this situation.:)

But all said I love the experienced advice from all the people here. Reading the book 'kill the marriage counselor' and the main message in that book is to ask advice from experienced people rather than people who have degrees hung above them and price gouge people in the name of advice.

Starkgirl likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your father and sister’s opinion have exactly zero influence on your decision. If they are that concerned tell them that they can keep your In-laws in their homes.
    You have a good husband who is concerned about your well-being, which is 99% of the battle won. Let your in-laws know clearly that they can be near but separate. No wish’s-washy “we shall see” promises. It will be healthier for everyone’s relationships.

monita, Starkgirl and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Considering you went through depression and other health issues don’t you think you need to prioritize your health over your Sil’s opinion ? I’m sure she didn’t go through your health issues . When they don’t care about you why do you care about what they will think about you . If you feel guilty then it looks like husband is bad person . Instead be a time . Come up with plan how to tackle when this topic opens up . Allow husband to do all the talking and act deaf to everything else . Once people realize they are not going to get any reaction/response out of you they will stop or poke you further . Develop a thick skin . If I were you I wouldn’t encourage the idea of in-laws living in your house during your absence either . If you have enough time to plan then take initiative to rent it out . Once a house is given to in-laws then it will never come back or plan to buy another one when you come back . Invest your time on building your future .

Starkgirl likes this.
  6. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone. DH has agreed to speak to IL's when time comes. As of now they are shifting to different house but Mil keep mentioning to us that its a temporary arrangement. I am sure things will fall in place when time is right.