1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Wrong Here?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Starkgirl, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Me and DH are married for 6+ years and have a beautiful 2 year old. We stay nuclear and il's stay in different state whereas sil stay in same city as us. I never shared good relationship with MIL and SIL. They always tried to control our lives , taunt and humiliate whenever they got the chance. My MIL is the most passive aggressive person I ever met in my life. She will be fine for few days then start all kind of drama which create unnecessary stress in our life and because of this , I went through severe depression and bouts of anxiety. It took me so long to deal with my depression.and anxiety which resurface everything my mil visit. Now coming to the issue, sil wants IL's to sell their property and move in to our city. I have made it clear to DH I won't be staying with ILs no matter what. He understand most of the time and indirectly mentioned of staying separate (which is happening now) but it has irked SIL. She is not talking to both of us.
    FIL is a good person, I don't have any issue with him but at the same time I can't stay with my mil and take that stress on day to day basis. Now DH keep on asking me what should he tell them if they mention of moving together?? I know it is difficult for him but am I wrong here for expecting to stay separate so that relationship will not spoil and peace will be there?
    How should I deal with this situation ?
    Even though arrangements are happening to stay separate but SIl and MIL keep on mentioning about staying t1ogether (with us) after 6 months.
    Dh has asked me to ignore them and he will deal with it when time comes but I am feeling bad for DH when his relationship with his folks disorienting because I am refusing to stay together
    Am I wrong here?

2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

You are very lucky to have a husband who is not making a fuss or blame you. And also, it's sweet of you to feel bad for your dh.
    Don't feel guilty, its better to maintain a peaceful and healthy relationship with ILs staying far but near than to let them stay with you and spoil your mental peace when you and them are already not getting along well.
    Try to find a house in the same apartment where you live or atleast within the same area so that dh can go visit whenever he wants and also feel happy to be close to them n you can be at peace that they are not atleast living with you 24x7.

3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

When it comes to your mental peace no ifs and buts. Why do you worry if husband himself is okay with them staying separate and is working towards that ?
    Stay firm and no nothing wrong if a woman prioritize her mental health over anger of SIL.

monita, chanchitra, Starkgirl and 4 others like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Even the most loving in-laws and the most patient DILs will have friction while staying in the same house. I have seen this in a few families.

In your case, there is already stress! And your SIL also is in the same city, obviously she will also visit her parents very often - which can flare up your anxiety!

Check if you can find an apartment at least 10 minutes walking distance from your place - but hopefully not in the same building. This will give you the required distance yet allow your DH and SIL to visit them often. And in case of any emergencies where you need to play a role, you will be reachable, but you will have your home for some me time.

When they move nearer, set the expectations early!
    As long as they are independent, let them handle everything themselves ! Help them only when they ask or you feel they cannot handle something and it is really required.

Don't allow them to occupy every weekend of yours - have some weekends for yourselves - you, your DH and your kid.
    But allot at least a few weekends for them to enjoy their son & grandson - you can make a visit, take some food item, stay there on few occasions or make some excuses on others....

Retirement & shift to a new city will bring them many guests. You will also get pulled in their social circles and get-togethers! Again, if the guest is very close or important, offer to make some special item, go very near to the arrival of guests, help a bit with cleaning and serving, say namaste to all, talk high level haha hee hee and leave early before deep discussions!

Again - don't prefer the same building if you have a choice - especially repeating this due to your history of anxiety & depression!

All the best.
    Keep smiling
    HR

5. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

you are very lucky to have an understanding husband. You can make a compromise by having them stay in the neighbouring apartment or an apartment in the same building or nearby. That way you can maintain your peace and also it will be like staying close by. My co-sis did the same thing. Her DH [my b-i-i] is super understanding. don't know how they did this. My IL's were selling their house from their town and moving to the city where my b-i-l was living. My b-i-l went and immediatley booked a 3 bedroom apt [even though they don't need a 3 bedroom] about 2 months in advance. This was at an apt complex about 2 or 3 kms away from them. My F-i-l kept mentioning to us that we moved to stay close by to them and this is so far away. But not sure how my b-i-l managed but they made it work for and running into the 2nd year successfully now. If it was me and my DH, my DH would have said, come and be with us to his parents and say that it is our responsibility which I am not saying it is wrong. I would love to be with my IL's if only my m-i-l did not talk smooth [vazhaipazhathila oosi yethara mathiri].

So you can mention your thoughts to your DH, I am sure he would understand seeing how he is. That way you can maintain your sanity and keep good relationship running.

Starkgirl likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

It’s good that your DH understands and respect your views. So as many suggested do not feel guilty and end up hurting yourself again.
    They can stay in a nearby place so that it’s easier for both and also have some privacy.

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Can mil and fil buy or afford to live separately financially in the same city as yours?
    Why they selling property?

Starkgirl likes this.
  8. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone
    To answer few questions, Il's own a house jn another state which they want to sell to settle down with us. FIL even spoke to DH about transferring amount to DH so that they can stay with us but DH refused and asked them to keep it in FD so that they don't have to depend on anyone.
    We don't want a single penny from them nor I am expecting any help from them(my mil made it clear to me even before we planned for a baby that she won't take care of our baby since she wants to enjoy).
    They are in their late 60's but both are fit and fine so I have made DH understand staying separate is the best option considering the past situation with MIl. He has seen me in my worst and he knows my anxiety is not only emotional but it does comes with physical symptoms and he don't want me to go through that again.
    On the other hand my own father and sister are against this idea that I want to stay separate(my mom is no more) they keep on me telling about balancing out and ignoring mil tantrums and being the bigger person so that relationship will not go sour.
    SiL is still aloof but DH is ok with it , Infact he said he don't mind if she don't talk to him if she thinks we change our decisions based on her behavior towards us.

9. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Another point which I want to add is Mil's MIl is still alive ( dh grandmother) and mil does not share good relationship with her, infant I have never seen her since mil and sil made it clear Dh and I should not visit her since she treated them very bad over tg years. But not they want me to ignore all their wrongdoings and adjust because MIL is old. Thankfully DH is seeing the hypocrisy here.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is no way to achieve or maintain the nuclear family status with zero guilt. The best you can do is deal constructively with the guilt.

First of all, in your mind, stop putting the blame on yourself. If you don't do this, all your feelings and all your words to other will be tinged with this blame. You are not "refusing to stay together." You are doing what is best for all in the long run. Before anything else, properly and adequately process the guilt in your mind.

If husband's strategy is "ignore and he will deal it when the time comes", let him use that method.

If he asks you what he should tell them, do not offer any suggestions. Acknowledge the tough spot he is in and support him without explicitly offering any suggestion on what to tell them. If not, he will the try the suggestion, it might fail, and he will say I tried and give up. They move in and your husband says "I tried.. you saw I tried.. I tried all your suggestions... it didn't work."

Do not discuss this topic with in-laws. In conversations with husband, slowly change the phrasing of the situation. Such as:
    - "due to difference in personalities, we cannot live in the same house",
    - "better to live apart than live together and tension brews",
    - "let the distance grow fondness that will help when the parents need to move in or move right next door/ upstairs"

Be confident in your decision of staying a nuclear family, or at least display such confidence. Never, ever, even in moments of sudden indulgence, lay the blame on yourself. Resist the urge to appease your guilt with misguided self-deprecation.

If the husband himself cannot imagine living with his parents, he will stick to that decision no matter what. If the husband "understands why the wife does not want his parents living in the same house", that understanding can weaken, falter and crumble at any time with emotional and other pressure from parents and other well-wishers. Don't be too grateful for such understanding from the husband. Don't give him brownie points for being better than other Indian men on this. Be on constant guard to protect and safeguard the peace in your mind, marriage and home.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021