1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am i in right thread - for current indian education system

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by abiramavalli, Sep 4, 2013.

1. abiramavalli

abiramavalli New IL'ite

hi friends,
    I have posted my querries in other thread but i hardly did get any response despite so many views !!! Is therent a single who can reply my querries abt indian education currently ? Or are my querries seem annoying? Can someone help me atleast in this thread ?? Am i in right thread??
    The plan is:
    we are relocating to india after a decade . can someone give an overall piture of indian education system right now ? Have heard so many changes like samacheer kalvi, ruling out matriculation , strong recommendation for CBSE syllbus etc...

My kids will be doing 7th and 2nd std when we relocate. My doubts are:
    1) how many subjects are there for these std at CBSE
    2) which subject kids are giving more importance - like maths, geography etc.
    3) are the question papers same for all schools and do they follow same books of same publications ?
    4) Can i have a model/sample question paper of 6th std in maths? ( To have a better idea and compare my kid's level , so that i can take a precautionary measure.
    5) What is exam pattern - when i was young , we had monthly test , quaterly exam, half yearly ,annual - full syllabus from june - march. Currently what is the style?
    6) How stress full is home work?

I might have not consider valid points from your angle. So am giving the situation here.

Primary 6 kid - has 4 subjects :
    1) English - very vast more than TOFFEL , stae by stage
    2) Tamil - Ridiculously opposite to English - mostly choose the best for grammar & basic comprehension
    3) Maths - again very tricky and open syllabus- questions never repeat in any of the current exam or prev exam
    4) Science - quite interesting for kids , since it involves more (or full) practical knowledge than memorizing and reproducing.
    5) Kids have homework in such a way that they have to google search everything on their own and have to write what they have understood from it- so no homework for parents but FULLY for the kids only - including even if it is any project work ( even parent wants to help - they can do it only at some level but cannot do themselves on whole !! bc in our olden days uncles , aunties help us in drawing science diagram , school project work - do a card board cutting etc..)

Above all these - they have never come across descriptive style of answer ( all questions are choose the best pattern) except in science 5-8 quest are WHY & HOW questions ( that too they write 2-3 lines thatss it - no stories/essays) and in english - comprehension alone carries 40 marks out of 100 ( They need to write for 1.5- 2 pages )

My kid have never read about indian history or politics(Civics - we call it our days :) ) Whats is expected in that angle ?

I think 2nd std kid should accustom without any hard struggles except the different education environment - because teachers here are so so friendly that kids never had a thought of fear , rather they all have more a friendly relationship with them. And above all they use to call them by name only :(
    What if they come there. Though chennai is a metropolitan city, am fully out of touch with the schoolings and the requirement of current days.

Can you friends help me please.

And top of all these - can you give me a list of schools for my girls?

We have not decided the place of stay - might be around Tnaga / velachery / mylapore/madippakam .

Thank you..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Abiramavalli

First of all try this site
    National Council Of Educational Research And Training :: Home

From there you'll be able to download books for NCERT or the CBSE curriculum.
    You can choose CBSE (I) curriculum, the I standards for international curriculum.They dont ask much descriptive questions instead its mostly MCQs is what i've heard.

1 person likes this.
  4. abiramavalli

abiramavalli New IL'ite

Thank you Dinny and ramyaramani..
    My is NCERT Syllabus is followed through out all CBSE Schools ? And hence is the same publication all through out the schools and only Q papers are set by the concern school itself ? Any idea pls?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

NCERT books are used mainly for science & maths so that children all over the country have almost same syllabus......when you chk the above mentioned sites you will find some model question papers but Yes .normally all schools follow their own pattern of Q papers for exam........

lots of schools in India get NRI kids & hence are flexible when you go for interview .............nearly all schools have website so better to check few of them online & then get in touch with administor to have better idea...........

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Abiramavalli

The publication might be different in different schools.But the syllabus will remain same.And all the other publications make books around NCERT material

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Let me try to answer a few queries..but you cannot try to gauge what is good for your kids, based on these answers..education system in india, has changed a lot..good or bad depends on individual's experience..

all the best

3 people like this.