1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I being Used in my Parent House

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Soch, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

In my house, mom is not there, so I only have to do all the work in my parents’ house. For Wedding and simmantha everything I only have to do all the work. My Brother will not do anything, he will only do order, so I always land in tension and stuff.

For my brother's simmantha, I and cousin sister was serving and some of his friends were helping us. So my hubby came to help me. My sister was telling why are you asking him to do. For that brother said let him do what's wrong. But he will not do any of the functions that I have arranged in my house like house warming, my DD birthday or any get together.

For Delivery, I went there to support them stayed there for 4 days cooking for myself, father, brother, my kid and for SIL who was in hospital, I have to be in hospital whole night and will come home by 12 without having breakfast. During this stay only I arranged to keep cook, as SIL and her Mother cannot. They said that they both will be tried taking care of kid. Inspite of cooking and carrying food to hospital, My SIL was throwing that food saying it was sore. We all had that same food, one of our neighbor got the same rasam from our house also.

Next week was the Brother's son cradle ceremony, It was supposed to be done by SIL parents’ house, as she don’t have father or I don’t know the reason why it was kept at my brother place. I landed there that morning to see nothing available at home, not even onions to cook, My father was also there to arrange iyer, he went to get other things for Pooja. SIL mother was also there, if she had told my father atleast he would have purchased it. Their shops will open after 7.30 or 8, Cook had come in the morning. I asked one of my uncle to get things and told cook to start cooking. My brother went to his friend’s house to sleep. Over the phone only I told him to come by 6 only we will have work. He never bother to do and told let them do. I told the cook to what is menu and quantity, I don’t know the language they speak, My SIL and mother knows, so I told SIL mom to be with the cook to tell if she wants anything. I went to do other stuff for Pooja. Later I saw that MOM happily sitting in room, that cook is again asking me. For that my Cousin sister asked what happen, SIL MOM was telling it’s your house you only have to do.
    After that function my brother is telling it’s our house we only have to do why are you expecting others.
    We months later my SIL came to my house and was staying for nearly 2 months. I am working, have to cook and leave office. She will make my DD to help in taking care of baby.
    My brother decide to get house near my house, saying you stay in that house as he is staying the house that I brought in Bangalore.
    I told him I am busy with office and taking care of KID so you only do all the purchase. He finalized a land, Registration to happen that time but it dragged, so he told that let land get register to my father name as he cannot come. I told my father why is this, one day let him come and finish the work, for that my father telling he cannot, problem here is again I or my hubby only have to go for bank and other follow up activities, as my father has eye sight problem. I was very tired that day and told my father ask my brother to talk to lawyer and stuff over the phone. That also he did not do, so I asked cant he do this also, for that my father shouting and told if can do it do or leave it, don’t point out thing after doing. I got angry and told I cannot. He called my brother and spike something, he arranged some other person to come for registration, but my hubby also went.
    From that day he is not talking to me properly, keep on fight for pity issues.
    Now my brother's son head shave function is coming, we have to go, as usual I only have to break my head. But I have decided that I will land there on Sunday night, Monday morning function leave by afternoon, so I will not do any work. My cousin sister was also telling me to take care my hubby & Kid not allowing them to do any work. So my sister was telling not to allow my hubby to do work. Even my sister Husband will not do any work in our family function, for my cousin brother function also no one will allow him to any work.

Am I being used in my parent house or is it normal that I should do work in their house. Also suggest that I should not allow my hubby to do any work and make sit in some place. Bu you know what my SIL sister and MOM will be sitting like that only.

Thank for reading very long post and suggestion.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Let them learn to take care of their stuff. They are all adults.You take care of your stuff.Your being there to help them only gives them an excuse not to do work.

3 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, it appears to me you are very good-intentioned although naive. Yes your brother's family is taking advantage of you. If you have been taking control of all your brother's family functions despite working outside, the least that they could do is be appreciative of what you have been doing. After marriage, it is certainly your duty to look after your parents but your brother!!! Beats me. It has to be two way street, if you do things for him, he has to help out at your place. That's how relationships last.

You should definitely just attend the function and be done with it. No slaving over.

4 people like this.
  4. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Thank you Yellowmango & butterflylice for replying.

I feel that only, inspite of doing work and they find faults is making be bad all the time.

5. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

Dont show up where you could be used.For the next two functions make yourself unavailable and let them do thier own stuff.Its seems you dont have enough space why cant you stay out for nights(in a hotel).When people around you are used to sit around and you see to all things on your own how can you blame them.If there is no onion you should have ignored that and started your own plans like going for shopping or house visiting or simply concentrated on your H&DD.Go eat in the hotel if there is no food.Attend some of functions like a guest citing some reason or other or simply stay sick the minute you enter the house.

4 people like this.
  6. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

my mother used to slog in the kitchen at my aunty's house whenever she visits. the aunty is my mother's cousin sister and she was very close with her since young.
    but as my mother frequents her visit and the extent her stay duration, all in my aunty's house will take advantage of her. my aunty's grown up children will give list of their favorite meals to my mum to cook. at first my mother will do happily for them but as time goes by, my mother started to feel fedup too.
    even at the time we need to pack up things to leave by bus, my mother will be slogging in the kitchen to finish their dinner and making tea for all at home.
    me too have to help her to cut and wash veges.

i told my mom no need to such things anymore as when they came to visit us, they just act like a guest. no help from them at all for functions. since all of us can drive now, we only go to their house on the day of the function and come back on the same night.

4 people like this.
  7. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Thank Pears for suggestion. @seekingbless, yes I hurt in long run.

They have function on Dec 1, planning to reach by sunday night and attend function leave by after noon. But my DD wants to be there a or 2 to play with her friends there. I telling her something or other to avoid staying there.

8. Lakshmi90

Lakshmi90 Senior IL'ite

In my marriage my younger brother did not take even a single thing,but he bought dressed for 20k for him to wear from my dad's money so when he is getting married i will not even do anything what they call as nathanar seer for nalangu and thirumangalya dharanam...no wonder even if i dont attend that...i dont speak to him so wont talk to his wife or anyone...i dont consider him as my brother at all these spendthrifts,selfish aimless wanderers wont be considered a human at all

9. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

When you are not loved, respected and appreciated for all the things you do for your brother, then you are better of behaving like a guest and attend the function and leave right away. You are not your brother's mother. A sister can only do so much, given your circumstances. Don't do too much and don't expect much. You are married with kid and your family should be your # 1 priority.

Cheers,
    GPriya

1 person likes this.