1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I a Feminist?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by gauridinesh, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

You'd make a great attorney. So vocal and outspoken!

2 people like this.
  2. A75

A75 New IL'ite

OP ji you are not a feminist and being vocal has nothing to do with Feminism as Having a guys nighout or a vegas trip has nothing to do with not being a good husband or father or getting married.

PS: I do strongly disagree of the view that Federrer is still in red hot form, the guy has lost it ages ago:d

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

A master craftsman, a legend, but yes he is past it :(

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Gowridinesh

You are not feminist. The incidents that you have described here doesn't make you a feminist.
    Btw, feminism is not a bad word. I don't understand why don't you take it as a complement.

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the genders.
    Now you don't seem to be advocating for women's rights or gender equality here.

I have been called as feminist by so many people. I still take it as a complement, although I don't think I am a feminist.

I have been vocal about the rights of young women who are underprivileged, and discriminated. Their educational rights, marital rights and other social, but fundamental human rights were violated; hence I raised my voice on behalf of them to be considered equal.

Now I did not do all these as a leader of the feminist group. Nope,

I just reacted as a common person.

For instance, a 13 year old girl child was raped in a home by a security guard near my house. I reacted by informing this to the police, and faced the consequences boldly.
    I always react when men or women fail to give seat to pregnant woman or disabled people in spite of their gender.
    I stress the management at my office to ensure equal no of female staff, specially as peons, office assistants and security guards.
    There are so much instances that made me look like a feminist, but I always take it as a reward.

Now, with whatever the info shared in your OP, I honestly say that you could be called as "strong, head weight, stubborn, opinionated, selfish etc..etc... but not feminist.

I just respond from your OP, and personally I know nothing about you.

You seem to be vocal about "YOUR rights, i.e my parents to be treated well etc..etc...
    In fact, I would advice you to treat your parents and his parents as they deserve to be treated, and don't talk much about it.
    I.e if you wish to give money to your mom, give it with consultation with your H. Ensure you do your gifts as appropriate to your family's situation.
    When he does the same to his parents, be generous to happily agree. Again, ensure he does it as appropriate.
    When he goes overboard, intervene. Don't bring your parents and their gifts in that talk.

When there is a bad joke about anything at office, just leave the place. You may jokingly state your POV as it is anyway a joke matter. Don't be strict and expect others to follow your thinking. Some people really like husband vs wife jokes, as they are indeed jokes.

And of course I can very well relate to your situation at the trips with colleagues. There are certain places where women are expected to be mute by their husbands. Since you and your H work together, and have common colleagues, it is better to have some open communications prior to react anything.

When I worked with my husband in the same office prior to marriage, we too had this issue. I would be very open, and outspoken with my male colleagues, and confront if necessary. But some of them would speak behind my back, which would obviously irritate my boy friend (husband). Some even project as if boy friend is gonna be suppressed as I seem dominant then. This hurt his ego naturally.
    We had an open discussion about it, and I speak as appropriate to the circumstance since then.
    Ex: I would avoid confronting my H's friends or colleagues while my H is present and silence about something. Rather, I would just leave the place.
    But I would be as normal as I am with my male colleagues or friends. Although they jokingly comment about my dominance at home, I care nothing about it.

May be it is time for you also to introspect.

5. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Being a feminist is not derogatory term....it's a crown which I wear proudly....
    very few people are there who has courage to speak what they think when they are in group...
    Most of the people don't understand the difference between argument and discussion...
    .when other person is not agreeing to them they just think other person is too argumentative...specially when other person is woman....
    When in a group all other woman are sitting silent ....Being docile than if one woman is speaking they consider her as a strongheaded and what not....
    Somehow in gatherings it is expected from woman to keep her intelligence brain knowledge aside and be like a dumb beautiful delicate gal....
    woman intelligence should be used only in office work....she shuld left her brain in office drawer while coming out of office....
    Don't change yourself....we need women like u....
    Like other posters said u can check the volume and tone of ur voice .....and besides what is wrong in being a feminist, strong,independent n having an opinion....aren't we the women of 21st century...

sindmani and 1Sandhya like this.
  6. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much! :)

7. gauridinesh

Well - I also think that a night out once in a while is fine for guys. They need guy time, i get it. But these people about whom I am talking about are guys who crib about women's shopping expenses and dont take any initiative in family trips quoting "costs" - (one guy even said "My wife is a cost center. No income only expense. Now I have to take her out for trips too??") .But when it came to 200 dollars per person for a vegas trip- no one had qualms to spend and no one was "busy/tired" etc (which are the usual excuses that were given in the past for family trips). When weekend night outs bcom EVERY weekend guys night outs, it bcomes a menace. The reaction from my side was after a long long time of bearing all this "guys need a break" excuse.

Federer - well, if you had seen his matches till the final (and even the final), he was amazing. He lost just one match (the final) and everyone talks as if he lost in the first round itself. He has been consistently reaching finals - defeating top players. He may be old, but not yet out . I didnt say "red hot", but he is in a good form:) Lets start a thread in another forum for this :)

sindmani likes this.
  8. gauridinesh

Yes. I agree. Being a feminist is not wrong. But every time the word was used against me as if it was a horrible bad thing to be ..almost like a cuss word.

9. gauridinesh

Yes - thats what I have always done. I never bring parents or gifts or anything into any argument. I do what I want and he does what he wants(after discussion). None of us interfere. And really, I have no problem in him supporting his parents etc. He has also never told me not to do anything for my parents or anything.PILs are not like that though, they are the "typical boys parents" certain cases. But over time, they have understood that it wont work.If its a small issue, I let go. Dont bother.
    Only in certain customs where "bcos my parents are the parents of a girl, they should do so and so" I have told them No.

Thanks for the time you took to write the reply.Appreciate the time and honest feedback you to took. Its great that you are helping the underprivileaged so much. Thanks again!

10. gauridinesh

Hmmmmmm..:)