Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by shaliniku, Aug 20, 2012.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    Having a near one suffering one from Alzheimer's is really a painful experience. My own father is suffering from the disease since more than 2 years.
    He used to work as a manager with a leading public sector bank and took voluntary retirement after my marriage. He was very active socially too. He participated in theatre and local dusshera celebrations.
    Everything has changed now. He is unable to go to the washroom in his own house. Such a tall and big man.... and now he is unable to dress himself and wear his own shirt. Day by day there is steady degeneration of his mental faculties.

Any other Ilites with Alzheimer's patients out there. Let us share our stories.

2. shikha

shikha Gold IL'ite

Hi shalini!!
    I too have the same story but it is my Father in law who is suffering from this disease.really it is very very paintful to see his condition.He was so active when he was well ,used to do all the work and look after everyone,took care of all the family mambers but now he is the one who demand our total attention.cannot do anything nor speak.it is sometimes very depressing to see him suffer so much.And as my mom in law is also not well hence We have to take care of her as well.she also gets depressed seeing him this way but cannot do anything.We are doing whatever we can but to no avail.

it helps to share our frustration to some other person.Thanx for starting this thread.

3. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Dear Shikha and Shalini
    I too am in the same boat. My mother-in-law too is suffering from Alzheimer. With a lady patient you have to be extra careful... all ladies will understand.
    But yes, these are stressfull times for each of us. I have talked to doctors. The disease slowly eats into the nervous system. As far as I know there is no known treatment to reverse the effects of this disease. You can only delay it somewhat.
    Let us all be courageous and share our worries here. Very few people get the opportunity to serve the elderly. The blessings of the elderly are really very precious. Since we have got the opportunity to serve, let us all do our best. And leave the rest to God.

2 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

My mom is also suffering from dementia. Alzheimer's is also a form of dementia. She too is now unable to remember relatives, friends, her own children, keeps asking about her mom who died 30 years ago. It is really distressing to see one's parent going downhill like this. The most painful is when they can't remember anything about you.

5. shikha

shikha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    it is so nice to meet u here .Its true that talking to each other will reduce the stress.Still U feel very bad when u see ur loved ones suffering like this.It is true that it gives us an opportunity to serve our elders but sometimes u feel frustrated.Still we can share our worries here with each other.Lets pray for each others loved ones.God bless them.

6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thanks for responding and sharing.
    Many a times, certain incidents may make us feel frustrated and helpless. I would now like to relate a story. It is common story and you must have heard it yourself.
    After his death, a pious and god fearing man reaches heaven. God is sitting with him. He looks over his life. He finds that there is a set of footprints along side his own throughout his life. He realises that God is walking with him. However he realises that during the most difficult periods of his life, there is only one set of footprints.
    He asks God, "God did you abandon me during the most difficult period of my life." God replied, " NO my son. During this period, I was carrying you in my arms.
    Let us feel near to GOD. He is with us every moment of our life.