1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All This. For What?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 22, 2019.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Satchitananda, I have been there, done that. Unfortunately, other than marks, there is no tangible measurement of average and below average in our education system, especially in India. We are living in such a situation. As far as learning other skills is concerned, the truth again is that most parents don't have the resources to invest in other life skills, that is the harsh truth, to provide a good education is a lot for them. Most parents, especially the "successful" ones simply keep rubbing their ideals on their children. That is still fine to an extent, but what is not fine, when some other kid seems to be doing better, the parents go into depression. The teachers do that too. That is bad. At the same time, to give the idea that it is okay to take it easy on marks is also not good. Get the marks, put your best, but don't go to extremes is my opinion. My classmates would go to the extent of accusing the teachers of unfairness and partiality to get that one extra mark. I was a big noble lady, I would not even ask, even though it was totally fair for me to question the teacher. My situation was like that. I used to hate my father for not signing the report card for not arguing with the teacher. But if I look at it now, I think it was my flaw, to learn to fight without crossing the limits is a skill, not just study, keeping quiet is not a virtue. Comparing with peers is not a good idea, one should network to know where they stand in the crowd, but not become complacent that they are better than peers, nor should they lose faith in themselves because the peers are doing better. For that, the parents should be strong enough to let it go if a kid doesn't do quite right according to them. Most parents never do that. My father not signing the report card was fine, but constantly comparing me with my peers was his mistake. It came down to "I am fine today because I have done better than xyz", not the right attitude at all. Motivating the right way is important, providing the wrong motivation is bad.

satchitananda likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

It is heartwarming to see many parents in India now recognize the fact that there are many paths for a child to succeed other than academic. Mostly, people in the business use the education as additional skill and let the children inherit the business in some cases, if the adult children are interested. Particularly, there is a generation of people all over the world focus their attention to sports, entertainment and media as possible options. In situations where the adult children at the age of 18-24 make a ton of money in sports, entertainment and media, the life skills and character the parents helped them build comes very handy for them.

Viswa

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sarvantaryamini

Before I respond, let me apologize for the delay.

4. satchitananda

Dear Viswa, sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, I agree, compared to our times, there is a lot more flexibility today. I hope things will improve further with the passing of years and this insistence on cutting everyone to fit one mould changes rapidly.

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is observed ,more than fathers, mothers take the lead in bringing up the kids and it is the unreasonable expectation set against the children that leads to suicidal tendencies in many cases.Many mothers learn lessons only when it is too late.Even in foreign countries, in districts and states populated by Indians, and Chinese this seems to be a problem.Even in Singapore schools where Chinese are the maximum this trend is there.I have seen mothers talking loudly amidst all parents about all this reasonableness,curbing the tendency of comparisons etc etc.Once they come home, all the fine principles vanish into thin air ,they become too daunting saying that after all it is in the real interest of the child.
    But definitely we had a much happier time.Even upto 1975 matriculates had some opportunities in some Govt organization.In India problems started for children born in 1970s. This Engg and medical craze started only then.There was software boom .For the past ten years unemployment is soaring.No qualification is sufficient.For a handful of jobs thousands write the competitive exam and those who crease the palms of higher ups or politicians take the lead.
    People who swear that they can be self employed, things are not so easy. Banks ask for so many documents or collaterals for sanctioning a loan of a few lakhs.At every stage of business and getting licences, corruption is ruling.
    It is an irony that when people had around five or six children, they were able to make the children complete the school finals and get a clerical job in some dept.In due course they rose in their ladder and got a reasonable pension for their old age.Now one-two child norm is common.We are unable to bring up the children as per demands of the society.Smaller, the family,more complicated is the problem.All these communication developments prove to be more a nuisance, though we cannot underestimate the advantages.
    True, there are many choices for studies.But the irony is, no course can guarantee a reasonable job.The satisfaction stays only upto getting admission in some course and invariably the prospectus printed on the courses is too lucrative throwing so many opportunities.Agony starts at the beginning of the final year.No graduation level course offers good employment and in the event of not having a job, we can't keep our children idle and they join some post graduation course.Result, we see many jobless post graduates wandering .They fall a prey to many vices followed by depression.Average middle class families feel the pinch all the more.Fixing of marriage alliance also is not that easy.
    With all these we thrive having hopes aginst hopes.I actually pity the present day mothers who are well educated, know the negatives of strict parenting,having an eye on the children roaming with mobiles,with availability of wifi in each instrument. No less is the plight of children.In a world where no qualification is great, no skill set is sought for on a long term basis,what will the poor girls/boys do?We cannot place the blame squarely either on parents or children.Changing of the long established values which had been proved to be successful for around 100 years is very difficult.
    Change is the only unchangeable aspect in life and everyone without exception has to fall in line.I think this is a period of stress for both parents and children and we have to get over the tide.This also shall pass.
    It is said that when one door closes, many other doors are open and we fail to see the opened doors.Let us keep our eyes wide open in every angle possible to locate even if there is small gap.

jayasala 42

6. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

True, it is often the mothers who supervise the studies of their children, but when it comes to getting report cards signed, it is the fathers signatures that many schools still insist on. Even if fathers don't really involve themselves too directly with the kids' academic pursuits, it does not mean that they don't expect their kid to top every subject every year. They are equally guilty of pressurizing them.

This problem really started around the second half of the '70s. It was really difficult even then to get into Engg or Medicine. And those were the only two streams which certified that you were fit enough to be called a human being with normal intelligence. All those who went into the Arts stream were those who had to get in somewhere to get a degree, those who went for Home Science were those who were fit only to be married off, those who did Commerce could still aspire to do a CA or some such professional course at the end.

True, there are no easy solutions. But a start has to be made somewhere. If we wait for the system to change, we might have to wait far too long and end up with a huge cost to pay where the physical, mental health and even lives of young people are concerned.

What you say about lesser children is true. The less the kids, the more deeply the parents get involved. To sustain this degree of involvement and financial commitment, people choose to have fewer kids. So it is the classic question of what came first - the chicken or the egg? Negative as it might sound, I feel sorry for the kids of this generation and the kids who are coming into this world. Can one hope for a miracle and for better times for them?

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  7. sarvantaryamini

I don't agree that mothers alone put pressure. It could be both. In my case, it was my father who motivated me. My mother's pressure was a different kind. I am very grateful to him because he taught me so many things. At the same time, I resent a lot of things - comparing with other kids, feeling depressed and making me depressed when someone else did better. Not taking my side when it mattered most. That said, I owe him a lot for whatever I am today. If not for him, I would never be where I was. Although I am not on talking terms with him for some personal reasons, I still love him and I am proud to be his daughter.

SunPa and satchitananda like this.
  8. satchitananda

Yes, Sarvantaryamini. That is why I said
    and
    There was a very funny thing that happened to me as a kid. I went to a primary school just above my house. A kid from the opposite house also came to the same school. I went there from Std 1 - 3. This kid moved after Std. 2 to a boys' school just behind the girls' school where I moved in the 4th std. My mom used to keep bumping into this kid every now and then and ask him how he had done in his exams. He'd tell her he stood first, got 100% in Maths etc. Mom promptly would come and tell me 'see how well he is doing'. One day she met his mom and said 'it is nice he is doing so well'. His mom said 'what? He is barely passing in each subject'. So that was the end of that comparison, but then there were always plenty of others. Am so glad to be over and done with all that.

9. sarvantaryamini

I was actually agreeing with you. I was saying that you were saying what I wanted to say too.What happened to you was nice( because that kid was lying ), for me it was different. It was comparison of salaries, etc. My father's involvement was very much direct. I cannot complain because had it not been for him, I wouldn't have even been in a state to complain. He always, always wanted the very best for me. The only thing was the physical abuse in the form of discipline. Probably, I want to vent out, but he poured all his frustration on me with a lot of passion i.e., beatings, I was not a good kid, I was the rebelling type and I was all wrongly tuned and inert. I am slowly learning though. It feels weird to me that being the daughter I got more of his beatings than my brother. But then my brother was one smart Alec. He just escaped them with tact, I was obviously not that smart.

10. satchitananda

Sorry to hear that, Sarvantaryamini. Although that kid was lying and I had the last laugh, there were always other comparisons with girls in my own class. As for physical punishment, that was a norm those days. It is unimaginable today (though it still happens). I too was a rebel (and still am :p) and have been beaten a lot. Yes A LOT. Not just 'hand-beaten' but with broken rulers, taken to the neighbour who was the principal of the school upstairs to be beaten - what was worse was she was rheumatic and on a wheel chair, so she got her granddaughter who was younger than me to beat me on her behalf. Add to that they made me stand out in the sun holding my toes all afternoon. And everyone seemed very amused at my plight. You can imagine the humiliation. I would not wish this on my enemy. All this thanks to my mother's warped sense of 'discipline' and my 'crime' was I said 'shut up' to my sister and refused to apologize. As in your case, she was always the ideal and I the incorrigible one who had to be 'straightened out good and proper'. Things changed when I was in my teens and extremely ill. That is when my mom eased out on me. I would never wish to relive my childhood again.

School 'disciplining': I remember being slapped hard on my face in Std. V for not remembering some line in some poem. The P.T. teacher thought it was perfectly fine to beat the girls and to make them take off their shoes off and hurl them at the kid (because the rubber part of the canvas shoes were not polished).

And no. No child is 'bad'. A CHILD JUST IS. A child is curious. A child has a mind of its own. A child wants to know. If the parents are unable of understanding or handling that in a balanced or reasonable manner, it is their short-coming. A child cannot be expected to be a dumb, cute puppet. Seriously, if I had such an angelic child who never questioned or was so perfect, I would be seriously worried and wonder whether the child was normal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019