1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All that glitters is not gold!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rheaa, Jan 19, 2012.

1. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]As I walked towards the bus-stop, I admired the landscape in white - filled with snow - what a sight! Just splendid!:bowdown

The white beauty around me mesmerized me and I was walking dreamily when suddenly my foot slipped. Usually when there is enough snow, it is like walking on sand and not slippery like walking on ice/frozen surface. The sudden slip was a shock to me, how could it? As I inspected at the site, I noticed that beneath the layer of snow was ice! (obviously!):hide:

For some reason, that moment gave me jolt and made me realize - 'all that glitters is not gold'. It was my favorite idiom when I first learnt about it in childhood. But, as I grew up, it was forgotten. My concern here is not just about the ice & snow but about how I deal with everyday situations and people. Do I even try to think in a different angle during stressful situations than what I see? Not really, to confess I seldom do it. I take situations & people as they are - which means in a bad moment I get frustrated and blame. If only, I realize what was the reason or try to understand different perspectives, I could spare myself (& others) from the negative feelings.

The slip on ice/snow and the following thoughts in my mind is (to me) a wonderful lesson from Mother Nature & God.:thankyou2: How I would cherish such lessons to be put in practice in everyday life!:coffee
    [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]P.S. Back to blogging after a long time, greetings to all my blogger friends & readers :) [/JUSTIFY]

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was a thought provoking piece Rheaa. Quite often we lose ourselves while being in the middle. If only we know how to stay out of it and think, we will get a clear direction. Well connected. And when I read the title, could not but help a smile, as I remembered "All that glitters is gold" - an adverisement in newspaper for a gold jewellery shop. Yet another smart one is "We dye for you", from a dye maker. Sorry, if I drift from the actual content here :) -rgs

3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Rhea,
    Welcome back to blogging..

Really, As said by RGS it is a thought provoking piece... and as you said these lines makes sense only when we put into practice....

Pl do post frequently so that we can enjoy & learn from your writings

4. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your feedback RGS. Don't worry about drifting away from the content, you told me advertisements I didn't know :)

5. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you Pallavi :) I hope to get time to write more but I don't how sensible my writings could get ;-) Thanks for the warm words.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Our mind is a genius :) It makes us believe that there is nothing in the world that it does not know. We need to take a ride out of our mind to think outside the box. Our mind can't take defeat. If it has analyzed the situation once and came to the conclusion, it does not allow you to go anywhere else other than the conclusion arrived before. When we want to rethink on something, we need to make the mind think it is entire a new experience with all associated inputs that would make it consider from a different angle. To be honest the soul is having millions of experiences and it is our mind that connects all and makes a life out of it.

Do we know how many other information that mind interprets before coming to its conclusion? For example, if a person that we hate the most has done something wonderful, our mind would first take the input that the person is not liked by it before even considering the wonderful action of that individual. How in the world, we will appreciate him/her for that action unless we separate that input of hate before evaluation his/her action?

Viswa