All posts relating to Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Abha, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mom2gurls

mom2gurls New IL'ite

Ladies I am new here..but this is my 11th Karwa Chauth. I am in New York and I am going to start to get dressed now....

I hope all my desi sisters around the globe who celebrated had a wonderful karwa Chauth.

The moon will rise here at 7:51 PM.

I am ready to start singing....

Have a wonderful one gals.......:rotfl

2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Mom2gurls :rotfl I checked out what time the moon is rising as well - 7:51 for us new yorkers :thumbsup

i drank 1/2 a glass of orange juice around 6:30 this AM - :bowdown i am suprised i am actually holding up w/o any issues

3. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Karwachauth ki hardik shubhkamnaye sabhi ko.

I enjoyed this Karwachuth a lot.I fulfilled all the task what I planned for today.I started cooking at 4'o clock.After cooking I wore my new red Sari and matching accessories.
    Moon arised at 7:30 in the evening.I did moon and my Husband's pooja with the help of seive.We took lots of photos also.Then we enjoyed our dinner.

Hope all of you enjoyed Karvachauth.

4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

This was my first Karwa Chauth and boy was it a wonderful experience and it was so touching how the moon worked its magic on me..

so here it is .. my DH was working last evening, his shift was from 1 to 10 and that usually means 11 p or 12 am and MIL is away in VA and I had to and cook give FIL some food and just make sure he's ok..

since yest. was a weekday, i had work and had every intention to do my mehndi when i was near my in-laws place and because of traffic, it did not work out.. the moon was set to come at 7:51 and i got to my in-laws around 7:45.. i got home and propped everything on the table and ran out to see the moon.. i was in my jeans and a t-shirt, no red sari nothing.. nothing red infact.. but whatever.. did not see the moon.. so i figured, it might be cloudy, let me serve FIL and then check it out again.. so 8:30 no moon.. did the dishes.. 9:00 p and no moon (i was adamant to not eat till i saw chandamama :bowdown).. and my tummy is rumbling and i'm thirsty.. (of course DH is at work) and I realized I missing some stuff for breakfast the next morning and decided to go to the store and pick up some tomatoes and some garlic.. 10 pm and no moon.. so i kind of convinced myself, the moon is hiding behind clouds, so can't do anything about it and was a bit whimsical about it.. 10:30 i called DH, so I figured if I can't see the moon, might as well see my DH and eat with him.. so he tells me he's pulling in the driveway and open the door.

I wanted a private moment with him, (at this point I had changed into my pajamas for the night, and of course it was a maroon t-shirt, so I had my red) and took a glass of water and went to see him outside and to my amazement, there it was!!! The moon.. it all its glory.. just waiting for me to break my first Karwa Chauth with my husband.. and I was literally in awe that almost everyone in NY broke their fast at 8 and saw the moon, and the moon wouldn't show its face to me without my husband presence.. it was perfect... I didn't have a Pooja thali, I didn't have my wedding dress, I didn't have my mehendi done, I didn't have a sieve.. all it was was just us and the moon and a glass of NY tap water..

I had all this big things planned for my first Karwa Chauth.. to wear the sari my IL's and DH gifted me for my wedding, get my mehndi done.. make up.. pooja thali.. but now I just realized nothing would have made it more perfect and special that the way it happend..

5. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

How was your Karwachauth?
    Does anybody has idea why we see moon and DH's face in sieve or dupatta?
    I asked so many people but nobody know the answer.I hope somene of you will come with the answer.

6. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Hi All

My first Karwa chauth went on very well...
    I put mehendi and came home from office early as I had to prepare dinner as well....
    Dinner menu had me making Kadhi, chawal, kheer etc..
    All set , I got ready at 7:30 pm and then the waiting period for the moon started..
    Must say , my hubby was totally surprised to see me in a new red saree and that too decked up in jewellery....:)
    We took snaps and by that time the moon rised , so I did pooja and den broke the fast...

I had a sip of water in the morning and half tea at arnd 10 am..
    I generally get headache if I skip my meals or dont have them in time...but was surprised as how my body supported me in this fast...
    I was fresh as ever in the evening and was not hungry at all...
    Its said na.."Its all in the mind..." how true it is!!!!!!

Do share your karwa chauth experiences here girls!!

Cheers
    Sona

7. itspam20

itspam20 New IL'ite

re: Karva Chauth when you have your dates

Hey finally i Kept Karva Chauth . . . I am so happy for that......

But when he came to know that once we keep, its to be kept every year he got a bit upset....

Actually my in laws side doesn't keep but my mom keeps and i think he feels that i am following my mom more than my in-laws :(

But i had asked my mom-in-law before deciding. She had no issues at all.

Lets see what happens from the next year... Long time to go

:)

8. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Re: Karva Chauth when you have your dates

Don't worry.. DH was a little annoyed as well when he heard I will be fasting and then even more so when he realized that I should be keeping it every year.. my in laws nor do my family keep it, it's something I want to keep so don't worry.. maybe your DH will join you next year..:thumbsup

9. Mani24

Mani24 New IL'ite

Hey everyone,

So last year (2007), I fasted for Karwa Chauth. However, this year (2008 I accidently missed the date. My friend has told me that once you miss a year to stop doing the yearly fast. I would really like to continue to fast though.

Does anyone know if I can still fast for this year, even though I missed the date?
    Is it possible for me to still do the tradition of karwa chauth even though I missed a year?
    Since I am unmarried, would it just be better for me to stop fasting while single and start the tradition with my husband once I marry?

Please someone help me with these answers. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  10. RituMK

RituMK Junior IL'ite

Hi Abha

As you told one should not do any needle work on the day of Karwa chauth....I was talking to one of my friend and while our talk i told her about not using needle on this day.... she told me that she has done a small needle work on the day ....now she is bit worried about that ...I wanted to know "what could be the effect if she has done so" and is there any remedy for that ?