1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All of twelve years,he was born an adult.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

All of twelve years,he was born an adult.

Whenever my daughter comes from Bangalore,she keeps aside a day to go shopping with me.This time also when she came here, we roamed the length and breadth of Usman road and finally,when we could not bear the heat anymore, that was reason enough for us to go to our favourite restaurant for some snacks.
    I sat myself comfortably and looked around.Next to our table came and sat a family consisting of father,mother and their son.The parents were middle aged,that explained the way they fussed over their son, who must have been a little more or less than twelve years.
    “Do you want masala dosa?”asked the mother in all earnestness.
    “No” ,replied the son sullenly..
    “Why don’t you have idiappam?You like idiyalppam,no?”asked the father with great affection.
    Oh,no”whined the son.
    “Ok,we will order some sweet”, so saying the father ordered some sweet item,I think it was Gulab Jamun.The boy had such an irritating facial expression.
    The sweet arrived.The mother scooped out a spoonful of the sweet and solicitiously tried to feed her son.The much pampered son,shook away her hand and took the plate with the sweet on it and threw it on the ground.The glass plate broke,the water in the tumblers splashed all around and we at the nearby table were aghast!
    On hearing the commotion at that table, the Manager of the hotel, who was also minding the cash box,came near with an angry look on his face..One look at the parents of the boy,his countenance changed,for they were a wealthy couple and one could easily detect it by looking at the rich clothes they wore and the jewellery that adorned them and also the casual stance that they took inspite of their son behaving in such an obnoxious manner.When the father offered to pay for the damages caused ,the manager said,”Oh no problem sir,after all he is a child you see.Children are always like that only,slightly mischievous.Don’t worry,we will take care of it”said he.
    “Please get the place cleaned” said the father in an authoritative tone.
    “Yes sir”,said the manager and called out for the cleaner boy.The cleaner boy, whose name I learnt later was Ramu came to that table carrying a pail of water, a mop and a duster.He cleaned their table,mopped the floor splashed with water, painstakingly and while he lifted the pail and started walking,he stumbled and would have fallen down but he somehow straightened up.But in that process, the pail with the water shook and some water splashed on the ground.
    “Oh my God,he can’t even clean the floor,what type of boy is he”,so saying the father patted his fore head with his fingers.
    The manager got wild wth the boy.”You swine,you cant even clean the floor properly!”So saying he gave the boy a solid slap on his cheek and as an after thought he also gave him a blow on his back.Sitting in the adjucant table and watching this human drama,my heart bled.I could not help my eyes from misting.But the boy Ramu, I am sad to say, had no emotion on his face.He silently stood up and carried the pail of water and the mop and walked away.
    Ramu,head of a family consisting of his seven siblings,his father who had no job,his mother who was sick,has no time for emotions.Eventhough he is also hardly a twelve year old boy,he was born an adult

2. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

So true.. We can find so many cases like this...child labour brings out the adult too soon.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear mithila mam,

yet another of life's unfair cases..had tears as i read about Ramu......two 12 year olds treated so differently...So sad

love
    Mindi

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mythili

Felt very sad hearing about Ramu. Some wealthy people dont have a heart for poor people. They dont realise that tomorrow anything can happen to them also. A wealthy man can become a poor person and dont know one day Ramu's life also might change.
    So should not hurt anyone's feelings.

As usual you have very well narrated the subject.
    love
    viji

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

MK,

There are many Ramu's around. the father would have taken out his frustation over his pampered son on Ramu...
    Don't they say paisa boltha hai..the manager must have been helpless too...

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

Beautiful heartrending narration ......your traditional hallmark ofcourse!
    For every rich spoilt brat , there are scores of Ramu's around in every corner of the world .....that is the saddest fact we have to face, even as we wring our hands in despair.The ones who are dealt raw deals in life (like poor Ramu)can do nothing about their lot and those who get a fair deal ( like the rich kid)are at a loss as to how to appreciate their good fortune.
    Paulina

7. mithila kannan

My dear Paulina,
    Thanks for your fb dear.
    Oh yeswe are helpless watching the RAMUS,MAY BE IN OU INIVIDUAL CAPACITY WE MAY GIVE THEM SOMETHING.i GO TO BED,REAMING O SPINNING A YARN THAT rAMUS ARE LIKE THE aMITABH OF Trishul and they come up in life.But does that happen in eality?While the maid the young one wearing a hand me down pavadai tucked in her blouse is laboriously mopping the floor,the rich of her age group is being fed food by her cajoling mother.I do wonder why should god be so partial.
    I have no answwer.Do I do anything about it,sadly,no we forget the unfortunate ones in the hurry burry of our every day life.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    love
    mithila

8. mithila kannan

While the father would have taken out his frustration on the poor Ramu,my dear Shanthi,the manager ought to have been shot at.He is a lizard.
    love
    MK

9. mithila kannan

Dear viji,
    I agree with you and pray that the fortunes of Ramus should change for the better.
    Thank you dear.
    love
    mithila

10. mithila kannan

Yes,Mindian.If we look around this keeps happening right in front of our eyes.Thanks for your fb.

love
    mithila