1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All In Good Humour!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera
    Dear Hari
    During my school days, when anyone cracked a stupid joke which hardly made us laugh, we would tickle ourselves in the side like a monkey scratching its side and laugh. We can't do that now sitting in a club as it would amount to blatant disrespect! I agree with you that aging people lose their capacity to laugh as most of the time they keep worrying about their aches and pains. The modern medicos recommend hearty laughing sessions once a week to get rid of 50% of our ailments without medicines. I am a member in one of them. I find it difficult to start laughing without a reason but I too start laughing hysterically as I observe everyone laughing uncontrollably!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    A friend of mine would often say that if we had money, it would be better to spend it on eating. Only donkeys eat books, he would say. His focus has always been on eating and he had the habit of smuggling menu cards of famous restaurants. He has presently a collection of over 500 menu cards. He says that reading them stimulates him better than reading books. He would always add 'stupid' books!

3. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Great observations about jokes , joke tellers and jokers .

Humour is not something everyone can achieve . I totally agree that telling borrowed jokes will not make a Humourist . It is an inborn talent only . There are some people who can see something funny in anything and come up with a joke just like that .

In college days , there wouldbe friends making stupid jokes ,we called PJs . PJs will not get laughs . We will only say : " Bring the Veppilai ( neem leaves ) "

Some say , whether good joke or Kadi joke , its useful to our health to laugh .
    If we join Laughter Clubs , we can laugh without the bother of hearing PJs .

4. Cheeniya

@SCSusila
    I have a friend who cannot laugh however good the joke may be. When he sought medical opinion on it, the medico told him that it was a condition known as APHONOGELIA. The name of the disease scared him so much that he never stopped laughing since then! Inability to laugh is a curse but more often than not, it is a condition caused by the PJs.
    I have attended a couple of Laughter Club gatherings and no doubt it is fun. I mean it is fun watching others laugh like hyenas. Their sight made me laugh though I knew that was wrong to laugh seeing other people. I like guys like Crazy Mohan who can be really spontaneous. I cannot forget the final scene of Avvai Shanmuki!

SCSusila likes this.
  5. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Great I bumped into this today !! And greater still to find a PGW fan !!! I am one too!!! I read him over and over again .Aw!! Pity no one writes like him these days ( Our son calls him " silly" ) And I am glad to see that Pushpavalli here seemed to have read him long ago!!

As for your blog..I enjoyed it ( I am a relatively new member - joined this on November 17th..and am going through some old blogs here ). I am reminded of the Humour Club abnd have a vague / weird feeling that some members of this Club, after going home after a session of laughing, may yell at their wives to bring the coffee soon ( with anger reining supreme). ! Wonder whether humour is relevant only in the club sessions..( and other times, the humourists won't hesitate to CLUB thier family members with CLUBS !! ha ha ha so much for hulour !!!

6. Cheeniya

@Jeeves
    You will find any number of Wodehouse fans in our midst here! There are as many people who consider reading Wodehouse as a woeful literary taste as those who consider him as the most delightful writer. He has more fans in India than in other English speaking countries!
    I have been writing here for over a decade but I am not a writer. I am a rambler! I have an uncle who is 98+ He considers himself a great humorist but when his jokes fall flat, you can distinctly hear the sound of their fall! I don't laugh much outwardly like your namesake but my laughs at good jokes reverberate within me. Even if I smile, you can't see it because of my heavy beard!

Jeeves likes this.