1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

All I Think Is About Food Food Food !!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Anusha2917, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This is robust feedback and to be taken as a forecast. Cheer up @Anusha2917 .

It suggests me an idea to learn something related to this weight gain phenomenon from zodiac. Our IL astrolger @Pragaspathy can throw some light on this issue but he may need place of birth and time!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Anusha2917 likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Here i was reminded of my late mom telling a neighbour who delivered baby about possibility of weight gain after deliver and BF ing . The appetite would diminish in frequency and quantum if nutmeg is taken in some form which has a bearing on metabolism . Aurveda reported has some preventives with stipulations.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Interesting. But then after every meal my aurved physcian recommends to drink lukewarm water after 15 or 20 minutes later to lunch or dinner. But that recommendation is for super digestion.

But i also read about benefit of consuming soup of cauliflower which my spouse followed years back. But don’t ask me her present weight!
    • The increasing popularity of cabbage as a diet-friendly food is owed to the cabbage diet program. This plan has popularized cabbage as a food item which promotes weight loss.
    • The cabbage soup diet plan, along with creative marketing, has induced people to believe that this food can promote weight loss.
    • But the truth is that no food, including cabbage, can promote weight loss. Foods can be low in calories and high in fibre content so you will be consuming lesser food and stay full for longer. So is the case with cabbage.
    • Some people do end up losing weight with regular consumption of cabbage and cabbage soup. But what is the reason behind this? It is known that no food can lead to weight loss. So the key to weight loss is actually consumption of foods which are low in calories and high in fibre. When you fill up on low-calorie foods, your overall calorie intake goes down, as a result, you lose weight over time.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Laks09 and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

This reminds me of my spouse and her sister were so thin that they would be easily swayed by the passing wing. That was before they were married. When i met them first, i was thinking with such fragile figure or zero size how i would get along with my (would be then) spouse or the sil to be after her wedding! But they too get slightly rounded after two deliveries but their fitness not affected as they were aged less than thirty.

A friend of mine would by his spouse two pairs of sneakers one size five and he other six. Both pairs same pattern and colour. You know why. Yes u had guessed correctly. She would wear left size six and right size five.
    This idea crossed my mind to come out with a solution here. Buy one size Xxl And another Size XL . Top half one size cut and sticth suitably with bottom of other size. That way you get a hybrid pair.

Tepid Cauliflower soup can be tried with dash of pepper but not for long periods and also not recommended for those taking blood thinners.

It is humorous to visualise someone secretly or stealthily eat in washroom!

I happen to see a stout lady executive in bank struggling to come out from a distant seat to greet me while she was in the middle of drinking tall glass of water after finishing her meal. I suggested on my own volition that instead of immediately drinking water from tall glass in one go, it would be good to have a gap of around half an hour between the food and water. Later after some three months i met her somewhat thin! I discreetly asker her whether she had undergone any regimen or treatment! she astounded the result of her slimness is due to following my suggestion about drinking water after after meal.

It could be. Don’t stock item. Cook only that much you need for one meal. Empty ready eatables or stored in refrigerator. But u can reduce appetite by taking lime-honey in water (in night orday - I don’t know) or dry fruits.

avoid being seen by them now since their presence would constantly remind more of their past comments and make you long for those items.

I can relate to pangs of hunger issues. I tried to observe fast on Ekadasi on one saturday.
    A Date With Ekadasi Vradham(fast)

Laks09 and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Please research intermittent fasting.

Person eats within 6 to 8 hour window (I’ve heard of 4 hour window but I haven’t tried it)

Start with 12 hr window for a month, then 10 hr window for a month, then down to 6 to 8 hr window.

If you crave something bad enough just eat it. If possible, cook the dish at home because God knows what fats restaurants put in their food to make it tasty.

Eventually the craving will go away.

Hope your family is loving and supportive.

See video and comments

Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

If I knew answers, I would be filthy rich by now :-D
    Stick to a plan, as much as you can, it will work!

"hungry psychologically" That is is crux .
    Portion control is easy -- it is controlling snacking after the clean portion controlled meal that is hard. super hard. Coz you have to avoid the temptation again and again and again on the same day.

Just sharing my 3 takeaways on this journey -
    For me, it is necessary to feel satiated , otherwise at some point or the other I am going to crack and grab something unhealthy. Increasing fat ( healthy/ saturated fats) has made a world of difference. And yes , fats are not the bad guys. Fried food is-- not wholesome fat. In fact they are an essential part of our nutrition. I just read @Viswamitra sir's diet plan - makes so much sense. A greater part of his calorie intake comes from fat! And rightly so. Reducing carbs and increasing fat has been a game changer for me.

I am a sugar addict - which means there is no such thing as a small piece of cake for me. A small piece of cake never satisfies my sweet craving . The only way has been to cut out sugar. So with a lot of struggle/ and repeated failure I have stopped eating sweets and reduced added sugar to the minimum.
    Also sugar is sugar is sugar. Even if it is from fruits or dry fruits. Moderate quantity of fruits are ok - no fruit juices, vegetables are better. Dry fruits I avoid too -- though occasionally I use raisins as a substitute for sugar.

Intermittent fasting and extended fasting have been useful. A few meals of unhealthy meals coz celebration, coz vacation, coz whatever --and boom I fall off the track. Extended fasts is very very helpful in resetting and restarting a clean diet. But when doing extended fasts , slowly build up the hours.

Lastly - Whenever I fall off track, I push myself back on it. Dont give up. Failing here and there but sticking to the diet mostly is better then giving up.

Srama, Laks09, Anusha2917 and 3 others like this.
  7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all for the responses. I have gone through them all.

I am having some difficulty in maintaining the calories , some mood swings (maybe because I'm hungry and that's making me angry!) But I'm not giving up yet. :blush:

It's a slow change i know and giving as much time as my body needs to adjust to this new routine . One step at a time! :)
    Definitely it's getting better day by day. There's very smalllll progress everyday and I'm not beating myself for craving that extra spoon of oil or ghee.. :grinning::grinning:

Srama, Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Anusha2917

Thank you for such a detailed reply. Very useful. While my calorie intake is based on my body fat percentage it's helpful to know that I'm not alone in this. :grinning::grinning:

Weighing food is such a blessing though it's a bit of extra work. But before hitting the bed all the food is weighed and ready on the kitchen slab for next day's cooking. I'm learning so much about being mindful of eating. Earlier tadka was given to chutney, salad etc. Now I have like only few ml of oil to be consumed per day. I would rather utilize that oil on my dosa and Adai rather than using it for giving tadka which is still tasty without that oil. That's the power of measuring food. And no wastage at all. Cook as much as you eat. Eat all that you cook. My fridge is looking neat n good any leftovers .

Non meat eaters have a tough time in managing their protein intake. But I'm working on that with my friend n trying to include more proteins sources from vegetarian diet.

Viswamitra, Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Anusha2917

Thank you for such detailed reply. I'm reading it many times and reminding myself a few painters from your reply.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Anusha2917

Awww thank you Mangaii for cheering me. :grinning::grinning:
    I'm much better with few days into this new program. Giving myself time to accept my craving.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.