1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All about teeth - Brushes, pastes, brushing tips and tricks!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by humerarouf, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies, my DD is 14 months exactly as of today. I bought this toddler tooth brush which has soft ...whatever you call them on them. Her pediatrician recommended that at this stage (she has 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom) I dont have to use the tooth paste and that I should just try and brush with water.

The problem is, 1. she doesnt open her mouth. 2. Is brushing with water alone enough? 3. There is no way she will spit out if I put paste.

What shall I do? At what age did you start brushing?

2. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

friends

I too have a similar question. My dd is 16 months old but has just 4 teeths. 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Should I start brushing for her?

Thanks
    Sangeetha G

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii

1. Quite common. Keep trying. Give dd the toothbrush and see. Maybe she will start biting it and then eventually allow you to brush her teeth.
    2. I used non fluoride toothpaste which is safe to swallow. Initially brushing with water should be enough. As more teeth appear you can shift to toothpaste.
    3. First start teaching her to spit the water out. Then the toothpaste. Non fluoride toothpaste's are safe to swallow. So no worries.

I started when dd was 1 year old and had 2 lower teeth. I started with finger brush. They are easier to start with.

@sangee yes. You should start brushing.

1 person likes this.
  4. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

Re: Which Tooth paste should use for kids.

hi all,
    my son is 2yr and 4 months got aroung 12 teeth, he totally avoids to brush.even i dont use tooth brush i used my fingers without any paste. he not even allowing me to touch his teeth.
    i tried to give the brush in his hands to make him brush himself but he dont.
    i made him watched how me and his dad brush our teeth bt he never bothers.
    i showed him in his barney's video how they brush bt he dont want to accept it.

atleast once in a week i hold him around my hands and brush his teeth he cries a lot but i feel his teeth gets too yellowish and even bad breath starts if i dont do it. is this right what i am doing

Any other suggestions or ideas to make him brush his teeths

5. Rakhii

Thank you Ramya....I tried what you advised for 3 days. She is biting on the tooth brush now. Good improvement eh?

6. ramyaramani

@rakhii that is a start. But do check the toothbrush everytime. Sometimes these kids bite real hard

7. Rakhii

Thanks for the tip Ramya. I will keep an eye.

BTW, do you remember my DD was born with 2 bottom teeth and I was mentioning that we had to extract them when she was 6 weeks old due to chocking hazard? You were asking that time to see if those two bottom teeth would come first....i was so curious too.

But sadly, no...those two bottom teeth didnt come out still. Usually those are the first ones to come right...
    She has started getting others but not those two.

8. ramyaramani

Oh wow. So she is getting the upper ones first? Maybe she will get the lower ones before her molars.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rakhii

Ya...she got upper teeth first. she has 3 big and 1 small upper and two lower (not the once extrcted..but on either side). it worries me Ramya. Poor thing has gone through so much at 6 weeks. She didnt cry much; I cried more than her...lol
    Her dentist mentioned that in rare cases they don't get the lost milk teeth at all and that when her permenant teeth are ready to come, they show up. But obviously I want all her milk teeth.

10. moukthika9

moukthika9 Gold IL'ite

Hi..rakhii I'm a dentist. I advise you to feel the surface with your fingers where the teeth should be present,press the area gently to feel for any teeth,it's just to assure you.
    Better you should consult a dentist ,then she will take a radiograph and confirms that
    ------the lower incisors are present or not.
    ------If present there are any hurdles to their eruption path.
    ------If absent,what measures you should take age by age.
    ------or any cyst or bony malformations preventing it's eruption.

Many people think that teeth problems correct themselves with age, it's not correct dear...
    If we treat these small problems in early stages with simple measures,in future we can prevent big problems(orthodontic problems ex--- front teeth,irregular teeth)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    2 people like this.