1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All about teeth - Brushes, pastes, brushing tips and tricks!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by humerarouf, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Tooth Brush and Tooth Paste

I'm just merging this with our existing thread on the topic - its in Toddlers but the topic is the same.

Vanathi.

2. sowmyasridhar

sowmyasridhar Senior IL'ite

Rosary, Vishalini and Mickey,

Thanks for your suggestions.

DD has got 4 teeth 2 upper and 2 lower and it is right time to start with brush. I shall try the finger brushes and pigeon tooth paste and see.

Vanathi,
    I did search in infants but missed in toddlers. Thanks for merging.

3. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

My daughter is 14 months old. Can I brush her teeth? And can I use toothpaste for her. She does not understand much of what i say, like if i ask her to spit something she does not do it. So will she understand to spit out the paste? Or shall I just use the brush to brush her teeth without the paste? She has got her 8 front teeth and her molars (not sure about the term) are just starting to show up. Pls advise.

Regards,
    P

4. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

its high time you start brushing her teeth .
    definitely she will not spit out ..... so you will have to use very little toothpaste , as little as a small smear on the toothbrush.

when my daughter was younger ... iused to clean upper then lower teeth .
    eg . brush her upper teeth and clean it with water first so that little or no toothpaste remains ... and during this time she would not close her mouth or rather i would not let her close her mouth by always keeping a finger inside the mouth , hence no swallowing ,,,, and then give her a break ....... and similar way lower

now she can understand , when i tell her not to swallow .

5. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone

My son is just 2 months shy of turning 3 yrs.I do brush his teeth everyday but I feel that the toddler toothbrushes that I use for him are not strong enough to remove all the dirt.I know they are purposefully made soft to prevent any damage to their delicate teeth and gums,but still I feel they dont work well in properly cleaning the teeth cause even after brushing I could see some residue left.So what I started doing was on altenate days I used to brush him with an adult toothbrush but was very careful in not applying too much pressure..Though that removes the dirt,once I noticed his gum bleed a little.So I immediately stopped.

Could anyone suggest what I should do?Should I maybe start using the normal toothpaste that I use (cause that must be stronger)while continuing using his toddler toothbrush?

I would really appreciate any suggestions in this regard.Thank you.

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Ladies

How do you teach ur kids to spit after brushing. My son swallows it and i do tell him do "thoo thoo" but he will swallow and sometimes he repeats after me as thoo thoo :)
    How did u teach ur kids. My son is 2 and half years old, and i feel he is too young to understand it.. what do u all say?

7. itzgayathri

itzgayathri Junior IL'ite

yes same prob fr my son too.he is 2 and half yrs old.pls do suggest something ladies pls????he does not spit out.no prob in brushing only rinsing his mouth .b'coz of hits am not even putting paste.any ideas pls?

8. NithinSrinivas

NithinSrinivas Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri/Sanravi,

Even my son who is 3 now, is not spitting the tooth paste..but is able to spit the water aftr brushing...
    I'm trying by all means to make him spit the toothpaste but in vain...having a tough time during brushing...He swallows the paste and simply says thoo-thoo...but doesnt spit anything...hezx slowly trained to spit the water...
    You can slowly teach the kid to spit...maybe not particularly during brushing...you can ask her to spit water which can help when needed...its all by learning they get to do things... :)

1 person likes this.
  9. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I have a 2.6 yrs daughter, she started teething from 13th month....and her doc said its absolutely fine at that time, DD got her teeth in the normal pattern except for one lower central incisor, when I inquired 5 months ago Doc suggested me to take my DD to dentist after 3 months for check up... so I was not worried all these days ..thought the tooth incisor may erupt anytime,(usually it erupts in the initial stages of teething) however DD has not got her central lower incisor yet....not i am concerned as to what cud be the reason....is something serious. planning to take dentist appnt soon, but thought of asking all experienced moms....

Pls help me ...

thanks

10. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies, :hiya

My son will soon turn three now..He never wants to brush his teeth...i tried so many ideas but he will just run away whenever i want to bathe him and brush his teeth...its tough to handle him at that time resulting in spanking him and shouting at him. This has become a daily routine. I tried to speak softly, even brushing my own teeth, teaching him the importance of brushing and even showing him the TV ads...but no use. He just throws tantrum while i try to brush his teeth, throws away the brush. Please ladies suggest some ideas to make him brush his teeth. I dont want to make him cry anymore. When i hear other mothers telling how their kids do such activities smoothly i feel jealous..why not my kid. He even hates bathing and doing poo in toilet (starts running here and there).

Ladies i am a working mom, so always short of time. I often feel that i am not giving enough time to teach him these things. :drowning