1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

All About Spelling Bee And Similar Competitions

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

haha, true! It's like she is telling us, "sorry guys, I am not that type, don't even think about it!!":laughing::laughing:

silento likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That's a kid after my own heart. So cute! I am sure you will agree if I say all we can do as parents is expose them and hold their backs as they try. have two at home, who couldn't care less. Like I mentioned earlier, my DS is busy stting by me wondering as to what motivates kids to learn those spellings!

Rihana and silento like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And this is the fun Origami that he is doing - @Rihana, I didn't mean to digress.
    Pictures3.jpg

4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

:laughing:
    This sure looks more fun, I am totally with him
    And this is what my kid was totally engrossed in. She is kinda addicted to this Toca mini app & continuously & tirelessly making these one after another !! I am truly amazed at the avenues available for kids today to express their creativity !
    Sorry, looks like this thread is turning to a creativity thread

Attached Files:

Rihana, Srama and silento like this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I agree, they have their own inclinations & talents& will do what they are meant to , there is no denying that.. we can only facilitate & help develop!!

Srama likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does the middle school he will go to participate in The National Geographic Bee? If not, it is fairly easy for a parent to be the parent to start that. A good experience for parent and child. Sometimes after parent has initiated the process, the child might finally decide to not participate. : ) That often turns out to be not so bad as parent then has less at stake, and does it simply to give back to the school and community. As a side benefit, parent gets to know more people at school, and gets a better understanding of how things work in the school.

The toughest part is to get the initial OK from the principal and to get one teacher willing to be the coordinator.

http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/geobee/teachers-and-parents/

silento likes this.
  7. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana.

As far as I know, the middle school he will go to does not participate in the National Geographic Bee. Totally agree with the part that the parent can initiate this, build network and know more about the school. As tempting as this is I chicken out thinking of showing off my geographical 'prowess' to a bunch of innocent middle schoolers.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No no no.. you don't need to have geography prowess. It is like FLL... coach's or even coordinator's job is to guide the kids. Anyway, for the Geo Bee, a parent or teacher needs to take the initiative, fill out paperwork, pay the fee ($100). Actual studying is by kids only. There are resources online and for purchase.

This competition or other such ones are relatively easy to bring to school. More so , if one parent is stay-at-home. Pushes us a little out of our comfort zone, but worth it. Often, you'll ind another enthu parent to work with. Or, if district is filled with Asians., you'll have too many wanting to help. : )

Think about it.. if not in 6th, when he is in 7th, look into bringing such an event to your school or community.. something that interests your child but not yet in your area.

silento likes this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

A friend's son is into the finals.
    But unfortunately has been eliminated. better luck next time.

@Srama, the origami looks so good. Adding this to my list of million things I wanna do

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I can't believe "koleroga", a Kannada word was on bee!! I specify Kannada because of where I come from...of course there was "izzat" too!! I can't wait any longer....kids are going strong!