1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

All about Arms

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by sunkan, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Trim Your Upper Arms

Summer is a month away, and if you dare to bare - your arms, that is - its time you started working on getting rid of that flab.

Upper arms are a storage site for fat, and even the thinnest woman who doesn't seem to have an inch of spare fat anywhere on her body and proudly declares "No matter how much I eat, I just can't put on weight…" would in all probability have upper arms that jiggle.

The reason that most of us have flabby upper arms is because they don't get worked out at all during our regular routine. Here's how you can get your upper arms in shape:

Start doing some form of aerobic activity like walking or jogging. Just exercising your arms will not really accomplish much, unless it is combined with aerobic activity. Aerobic activities help you burn fat from all over, and at a much faster rate than spot reduction exercises do. Thus, it's best to combine a spot reduction activity which targets the muscles in your upper arm, with an aerobic exercise.

Weights

Invest in a pair of dumbbells. Alternatively you could use an empty oil can filled with water. You could also use a large coke bottle, but this may not be easy to hold on to. It's better to stick to something with a handle.

Do you really need weights even if you don't want to build large muscles? The answer is yes. Working with light weights won't increase the size of your biceps and triceps. It will, however, convert the fat into muscle. Muscle helps you lose fat even when you are not working out, so you will be burning those calories while sleeping! Isn't that great?

In addition, more muscle means more strength, so you will be able to lift that chair - and table - without calling for help. (We don't recommend it though. You don't want to strain your back muscles.)

Hold a dumbbell in one arm and lift your upper arm so it is against the side of your head, pressed against your ear. Support it from the front with your other arm, and slowly raise the arm so it is straight up above you. Lower it again, till the dumbbell touches the back of your spinal cord. Do this ten times for each arm, rest, and do two more reps.

Pulsing

Stretch your hands straight out on your sides so they are shoulder level. With your palms facing down, pulse them up and down 50 times. Then face your palms out, pulsing back and front, up, pulsing up and down and back, pulsing back and front again. Pulse them 50 times each time.

Push-ups

Assume the regular push up pose, with your legs out straight behind you and your arms below your chest on the floor. Keep your arms as close together as possible, with fingers pointing forward. Slowly lower your body till your elbows are bent at 90 degrees, pause for a few seconds, and lift your body again. Start with around 2-3 push ups, and slowly keep increasing. Once this gets too easy, you could keep lowering your body till your chin almost touches the floor, and then lift it again.

Combine this routine with a jog around the block thrice a week and you'll be set to bare-all this summer!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Re: Trim Ur Upper Arms

Very good informative post Sunkan.

But for us in US of A summer just ended offically just a few days back.
    Good to get an early start:) :)

3. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hey Sunkan,

Thanks for the wonderful Tip. :goodidea:

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Sunkan Mam

i jus want to fall at ur feet, thank u so much mam, thanks a lot, since i feel that is my big problem, i feel like i have reduced little bit weight on other parts of my body, bu this upper arm seems to be very big and i feel like it increasing day by day

( i got one sleeveless kurta a week b4 ofcourse sleeves yet to stitch, b4 that to check the size i wore it , and my son was seeing me and he saying that Amma, u have very big arms like BOXERS and my friends son told me that IAM LOOKING BIG LIKE KINGKONG - i felt very bad not by their words but for my position

I know that by exercising we can reduce upper arms , but i was having lot of doubts reg those DUMBBELLS (i refust to beleive this, when my gym master adviced me)

From tomorrow, i will strictly follow ur words and also tell all my friends even they will react only like me

thank you onceagain madam

latamurali

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear lata,
    first of all let me congratulate u on your decision to go ahead and work out on the those flabs...all the best ..sunkan

6. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

Thanks a ton for gvg those valuable tips, actually i deseparetly wants to loose fat from those areas and was clueless whether to hit a gym or do it myself.

i will defn try out those excersie, Any idea how much time it will take to reduce those fat . i mean a bit curious to wear those sleeveless tops.

Rgards
    vaidehi

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vaidehi,
    send me your snap and i will put a nice slim arm with a sleeveless u have to paste it where u work out on your arms and i am sure in no time you will achieve what u want, it is a matter of perseverance and not any body's idea...sunkan

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

We have 1pound dumb-bells at home and I am going to try that excercise and build the muscle to lift our medium sized TV from the 1st to the 2nd floor and vice-versa!:wave

sriniketan

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

oh srini,
    you and your innovations all the best..:thumbsupsunkan

10. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Does anyone know how to get rid of Fat in Arms ?

Hello Everyone,

Is there any exercise for getting rid of fat in Arms ? After my third kid, I couldn't able to wear my old saree blouses :cry: ... Could anyone please help me out ?

Thanks in Advace.
    Suni :p