Air Fryer Philips And Other Brands

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Nonya, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

many airfryer models come with a bread baking dish. A dish with solid (i.e., non-perforated) sides and bottom. Perhaps this is a larger model for a kofta fryer.
    yes, a smallish chicken, called "game hen". However, I had not done one recently. Jacques Pepin shows in one of his TV programs how to make slices at the armpits and thigh joints for a uniform roast.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I made spinach pakodas for a kadhi, in the airfryer. Didn't look as elegant as the oil fried ones but tasted great. As expected they flattened out into shapeless cakes. But once they'd simmered in the yogurt they were perfectly soft and yummy! I could have made a stiffer batter by adding more gram flour but that would have made them dense. Overall pretty satisfactory result. I might try sticking an appam stand or mini idli tray in the air fryer to get a more rounded shape next time.

pakoda.png

Final outcome is posted in the "Lunch ideas..." thread.

kaniths and Nonya like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Wow .. that paper innovation works nicely.
    A pakoda in any other shape would taste as good. :yum:

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Oh when I was getting interested in Air frying, following differents posts in same thread, I read the line and read twice, it is roaster... aah. I do not need to buy then I have george foremans roaster which I hardly use. If some day, my mind jumps to air-fry I will try to use this first.

6. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Can you share the method? Do they come out crunchy/crisp? I have to eat less carbs and more proteins because diabetes. I'm not much of a meat eater either. But chicken wings if done properly are one thing I love, buffalo-style. But they have to be double-fried or else the skin is rubbery and unpleasant, at least to a mostly-vegetarian like me. And I don't deep fry at all really, let alone double-deep-fry and then have to throw the oil out because after that its only good for more chicken which I'm not ready for again for awhile, that used oil doesn't last long once meat has been fried in it, LOL!

7. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Amazon has a refurbished Philips air fryer that is $79 and actually has better reviews than the full-price Philips. Probably because having been fixed already they fail less often and/or people buying a refurb have lower expectations.

Unless the "regular" version goes on sale between now and xmas for quite a large discount, that is what I will be buying.

Some observations about other posts:

The air fryer is quite good even if you are a vegetarian. Vegans love the air fryer and there are thousands of vegan recipes online. (Not that I'm vegan or even vegetarian - I don't much care for meat but I will eat it).

Also - glycemic index is psuedoscience. All the studies are based on VERY small groups, usually 10 or fewer individuals, and the GI for every single tested food varies from one individual to the next, varies across time (from day to day) even for the same individual, varies with WHAT ELSE YOU EAT WITH IT. GI is not meaningful in any way.

The thing about the air fryer - and the Instant Pot and an induction plate for that matter - is the issue of safety. I can put an egg roll or frozen dosa in one and set it and forget it. It will shut itself off and the worst consequence is that food might have to be thrown out by the time I remember. Whereas with the oven it will keep going until smoke pours out, and beyond. I'm trying to get away from ever using my stove/range because I occasionally forget and burn something and its just better to start new habits now rather than trying to wait until I set the house on fire by accident.

By that time my DIL would just start haranguing my son to put me away. Better to nip it in the bud and extend the time I can be independent! Because my memory will only get worse over time.

My perfect kitchen will have an air fryer, an Instant Pot (I got an ultra on a Black Friday sale so that is on its way), a breadmaker (already have a Zojirushi), and an induction plate. The stove will be DISCONNECTED and I will cover the top with marble or ceramic tiles - I have the grate style so it will all lay flat. Then all my cookers will go on the top of the stove and I will use the oven for more storage, LOL!

I just got the micom Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker I've wanted since they first came out, only to be told I am now diabetic - so it hasn't been used but 2 or 3 times since I got it. And you can make perfectly good rice in the IP. Not sure what I can do with the rice cooker now, sadly. I LOVE the thing but can't eat enough rice to justify it any more.

Because of the diabetes I need to watch my carb intake. Its never been bad but now I have to watch it EVERY DAY. EVERY MEAL. Part of that means I pretty much HAVE to start eating more meat - and the air fryer will help with that as well as giving me tasty new ways to prepare veggies (try celeriac chips!). So I'm looking forward to getting it and hope this thread will be resurrected by people who are using theirs already, with tips and recipes for the rest of us.

8. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Hi all
    I use Philips airfryer. Tried so many recipes and all were successful. But miserable in bread baking.please suggest a good bread recipe (APF or whole wheat) for my Philips air fryer. Many Thanks