1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Air Cooler?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Custard, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello,

I want information on Air Coolers. If you have one, please let me know how far it is good, any complaints and kindly provide me which brand is good and what we need to look out for while buying,etc.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

aircooler performance depends majorly in the humidity of the climate of the place. as the humidity of the place increases, performance decreases

3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Loonypooh,

Thanks for the info! Can u tell me which brand is good?

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Custard,

I was thinking of buying one for my living room, due to the heat. but again, remembered the maintenance of cleaning the plates on the sides and things and went for a pedestal fan. as pooh says performance in areas with high humidity is bad. a cooler works wonders in delhi but the same does not perform well in chennai.

if you have a asthmatic then avoid cooler.

if you interested symphony is known for its coolers and they work well, the next in line is kenstar.

5. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Shanvy mam,

Thanks for the reply. Dint dont that Air coolers are harmful for Asthma patients! Since I heard that AC is not good for health (isn't it?), we opted for Air Coolers.....

Ya I'm near Chennai and would probably come to Chennai soon..... so I need to think about it!

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Custard,

I and my son have bronchitis.

We use AC. if the filter is cleaned frequently and you get your Ac washed once in 4 months, it does not give much of a problem

where as the hay/straw or whatever filling is on the plate on the sides of cooler collect dirt, and germs, this inturn makes it difficult. and the smell of the air becomes bad, if the water that is used to fill the cooler tends to smell on storage.

Invest in a steel blade pedestal fan..that come at 4k something. they do help.

7. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Dear Custard
    If you are in chennai my advice is do not repeat do not buy air coolers whatever the brand may be. the humidity in chennai not supporting air coolers. (My brother in Locknow he is using it for more than 25 years and it works there) I bought kenstar the product is good and the air throw is good no denial and the maintenance is very simple etc etc for Rs.5000/- and used one day and gave away to my servant for free. But if you buy A/c instead of spending (I think 5000 is the air cooler ) on cooler it will be good and no asthmatic problem. The chennities are allergic to the dust.
    kantha

8. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,

Thank you so much for this valuable information!

Now I seriously think about this option! But since I have used it earlier, I know that it is very good option!

Thanks again!

9. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Kantha,

Now thats a sad story.....
    Thank you so much for the feed back here, since I wasn't getting comments here earlier, we were about to go for a Air Cooler this week, by choosing one of the good brands!

10. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Air coolers work on the principle of evaporative cooling. When water evaporates it takes away heat from the surrounding. In a cooler, air passes through a wet, large surface area mat or filter. As the water from the mat evaporates, the air passing through is cooled. The catch is that the evaporated water gets into the air increasing humidity to nearly 100%.

There are two major implications to this.

1. If the relative humidity of the air is high cooling will not be effective, higher the humidity lesser the cooling. Generally coastal towns have high humidity and are poor candidates for air cooling.

2. Air coolers will not work in a closed room. This is because the air will quickly become saturated with water vapour after which no further evaporation anfd therefore no more cooling will take place. TThe room has to be fully open and the cooler air intake preferably from a window open to out side.

Other issues are that some of the inmates may have some difficulty with breathing high humidity air. The high humidity may encourage mould growth especially on leather goods.

There is nothing much to choose between standard makes. Check if there are any mild steel parts inside, which can rust and give trouble. You will have to choose a size suited to the space being cooled. Check with the dealer what is appropriate for the room.

Arunadhri