1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ahimsa Silk -Trendsetter!!!!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Varloo, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    There was an article on the ahimsa silk in the Hindu Metro dated 6th March 2007. I am giving the necessary details.
    Mr.Kusuma Rajaiah is the inventor of this Ahimsa silk. He is the Technical Officer in the Andhra Pradesh Handloom Weavers' cooperative Society. He got this idea whne Mrs.Janaki Venkataraman, ex-first lady, enquired whether there is any silk saree which did not involve the killing of worms. He was driven to find it, when Amala also made a similar request.
    After much research and practice Mr.Rajaiah has made this dream possible. The silk is go from the ccocoons after the moth flies off. The swab left behind are then spun into yarn. This way, the butterfly is not killed.
    He says that Lohia Mills in Chattisgarh helped him in the production which was very difficult. The yarn became twisted and more elastic and also it could not be reeled. So the fabric could be machine spun only.
    He has identified weavers in Nalgonda District who can weave these sarees- not everyone can weave them. So the prices of these sarees are higher too. For weaving one saree, the wages are around Rs.1000. there are also salwar kameez sets, stolesand dhotis whith half fine zari (as pure zari contains silk thread).
    The sarees are available at a flat rate of Rs.4600.
    His best customer is Jennifer Yost from US who made a long dress for her wedding from this fabric. The news was published in the New York Morning Star along with the picture, he says.
    He can be contacted in the following address-
    e mail-info@ahimsasilks.com

i am sure many members would be interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
    1 person likes this.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Re: Ahimsa Silk

Dear Varloo,

A very interesting post, thanks. I thought the ahimsa silk existed since a long time. When I worked for the One World Shop in Germany, I remember reading material on this subject. I only have a very vague memory of it now. Well, good to know that efforts are being made in this direction.

L, Kamla

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Varloo,
    Very informative piece. thanks.

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear varloo,
    That was nice post. I have started looking out where I can buy it in chennai
    Regards,
    Meenu

5. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Varloo for very informative post.

Love

Rita

6. nehasuresh25787

nehasuresh25787 New IL'ite

u can buy ahimsa silk in chennai in nallis in t nagar....they have some good sareees.....it is the new nallis ...the 1 opposite pothys......

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,
    can anybody list the places from where we can buy ahimsa sarees other than nalli. thanx in advance.

8. EcoGreen

EcoGreen Senior IL'ite

Hi, such a nice and informative post! thanks for sharing with us.... Let this be a starting point to stop killing worms. I like the name "Ahimsa Silk"... :thumbsup

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

i got my first ahimsa silk from vibas boutique in eldams road they have a wide range of sarees and salwars for selection. looks little pricy but lets think that for saving the life of those silk worm we r contributing.

the collection is something that can worn by youngsters.

10. dark_angel

dark_angel Silver IL'ite

my mom too purchased 2 sarees of ahimsa silk or khadi silk ....few months back