Agent commission to be paid by tenant

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by miyer, May 21, 2013.

1. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies!!!
    Need a clarification from you all.

We have shortlisted a few condos through an agent and are landing at singapore to look them up this weekend.
    The agent is asking us to pay commission of 1 month for a 2 yrs lease even whatever be the rent we agree. I have heard that there is no need for the tenant to pay agent commission if the rent is more than 3500 SGD per month. Can you pls confirm if that is true?

I believe that the agent is taking us for a ride and want to be sure that I dont end up paying unnecessarily. She is showing us condos around the 4K range and asking for 4K commission, and a % upon lease renewal :hide::drowning:rant:spin

Thank you.

-Miyer

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi M,

It is common practice to pay half month rent as agent fee for 1 year lease and 1 month rent for 2 years and agent fee is applicable for lease renewal also. I am not sure about not having to pay agent fee if the rent is over 3.5K. Hope someone with information on it will reply on this thread.

Best!

3. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Thanks Akhila....
    I checked with one of my friends there and she mentioned that she didnt pay any agent commission as her rent was >3500 and that got my brain working overtime!!!!

Would it be okay if I PM you with a cpl of queries reg a playschool/indian school for my kid? apologies if it is an intrusion.... am just plain scared of sending him to the wrong school and spoiling his fun.. at 2.5 yrs he is reading and sounding out words himself and starting to spel/read 3 letter words from the newspaper:) and making 3 letter words with the alphabets i give him.. his paed here has told me repeatedly to be very very careful when I put him in a school so that he can continue his learning as he is showing definite signs of high IQ and my paed wants him tested for his IQ after he turns 3-4.

thanks for your patience and guidance.:hatsoff

4. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

oops cannot PM ..<10 posts last month..

my qns..will keep it short :)

1. DS is smart, self reliant, sunny and friendly. fast learner. doesnt like a lot of instructions. he will see you doing it and ask you to do it as many times as it takes for him to understand and then he will do it right the first time he attempts it.. he made me write each alphabet over and over again for 2 weeks and then he wrote it by himself exactly the way i wrote.

2. Speech training is a little slow for him. he speaks one word sentences still but can really show you what he wants and he remembers all the words I teach him.

What would be best for him? Montessori, PAP or an indian school? GIIS queenstown is close to where we are scouting for apts, and if i like GIIS he would go there. dropped DPS since I didnt get good reviews from friends.

Is starting him in school right after i land a good idea? or should I wait and then put him in school after a month or 2 after we land there( we are coming 3rd week of june)

Any PAP/playschools that you can suggest around the queenstown area? I stay at home and can take him to school everyday if needed.

Thanks.. your reply will make my 'look and see' trip more fruitful as we have to finalize on the house.. DH and DS are inseparable and DH just plain told his boss he is not coming there without his family and whatever it takes he wont travel for work for the first 6 months to let his son/wife settle down :D

man am lucky:)

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi M,

Best wishes!!

6. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Just back from sing after a hectic trip... finally found a condo that we liked on the bukit batok area.. a little away from office but we really liked the condo. DS wouldnt get out of the condo and that decided it for us.....

and dropped the school idea for my toddler. we decided we can wait for a few months more

Thank you... your suggestions helped to be better prepared for the trip... and now i am going start breaking my head with packing.. we relocate in 2 weeks..

1 person likes this.