1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ageing of the Mind – Ladies, This Time It’s A Warning Bell!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 9, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Now, I have an idea, Seena!

Nice to know about your two great role models. I have an idea, Seena. When I post about jealousy you write about your observations of these two great women, how they are not jealous. When I write about greed, you talk about the absence of that quality in them. That way you will be enriching my post with solid practical examples.
    I almost started missing you when you walked in with your remarks.
    Thanks, seena.
    sridhar

2. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hey, any thing wrong Sridhar? I wrote about how that ladies could prevent the ageing of mind..I feel their young minds while interacting with them...

3. varalotti

Nothing Wrong, Seena!

Nothing wrong, seena. You just remarked about those great ladies. Health of mind and being youthful in mind you have rightly observed is the absence of jealousy, greed and other qualities like not interfering into others work.
    I just want you to highlight these issues in great detail when I have threads on jealousy and other qualities.
    Am I clear, Seena?
    regards,
    sridhar

4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Of course Sridhar, You are clear..:-D
    will try to write few points when you start new threads about such characters..

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

a beautiful mind!

Years before, I visited a Scottish distillery where they had freshly distilled whisky. And whisky aged for years and years in traditional oak barrels. No brainer this one- obviously the aged whisky was beyond comparison with the fresh one, both in quality and price.

Well, a mind is a very different thing from a malted brew! For one, a mind has a mind of its own. It can age, remain young, grow in wisdom, wither with neglect. It can etch civilizations, destroy cultures, move objects, send messages.

Me wonders, how does one chronologically classify minds? As mature minds or aged minds? If by aging of the mind, we are talking of minds that are not constantly stimulated, challenged and channeled into fresh pursuits, we are on safe ground. With a well parametered definition like this, one can logically say that an aged mind is an inactive mind and not a good thing. The Bible said it for us long back, 'an idle mind is a devil's workshop'. (I think it was the Bible)

But does it matter whether a mind is young or old? Whether it can do Sudoku or crosswords, or whether it attempts to learn Fortan at fifty, or whether it seeks to fathom Relativity at sixty? What matters in that the mind is a beautiful mind, a good mind. The sad story of John Nash teaches us that a mind even if chemically imbalanced, can still be a productive mind. So why can't an aged mind be a good thing?

Medical research has proved that any mind thrives better in a healthy body. So, aerobics,vitamins,cosmetics-all zindabaad. And a body that houses a stong mind can even heal itself of disease. Research has proved that some chemicals secreted at certain states of the mind can have visible somatic effects. The 'feel good' hormone, oxytocin, produces a feeling of trust and security in the mind.It is used to induce labour for delivery. Conversely, the worst hormones that harm the body are those secreted when the mind is jealous. This is all proven science.

The point being? It is not a moot point if we have a young mind or an aged mind. What is necessary is a good mind, a positive mind. As we advance in years, we can choose to work out our minds to keep them young and active. But what ultimately matters is that we keep our minds positive. That we fill our minds with purity and goodness. That we use our minds to put meaning into things and people, not erode meaning out of them.

We could solve all the Sudoku or crossword, yet a simple habit of jealousy or lying or deceit could render our minds fossified. We could sit in reclusive simplicity, yet a silent prayer for world peace could render our minds in communion with God. What matters is a good mind.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

and another two thoughts

Varalotti,

The first reply was written in some regret and malice. I am hopeless when it comes to Sudoku, crosswords and Scrabble. I cannot fathom how a solar panel works. Even gravity is at times hard to understand,leave alone Relativity. So, when I saw yr classification of aging minds, I was hurt, since by yr definition---.

Hence the first post.

But I must concede that your posts have made us think, Varalotti. Be it risk taking, following our desires like painting etc, aging of body and mind, you have provoked us to think, and think beyond the box. So, thanks for another stimulating post.

And this is the first time, I am hearing of paruthi paal in the context of human consumption. Enga oorla maadu thaan paruthi kottai,punnaku thingum.

rgds
    Vidya

7. varalotti

Welcome Back, Vidya!

Dear Vidya,

It is great happiness for me to welcome you back to this wonderful forum after a long gap. Your re-entry is a Pongal Gift to all the ILites.

Your post is eloquent and eminently adds to and clarifies the points in the leader post.

Your attempt to bring in the concept of good mind as opposed to a simple active mind is laudable.

But Vidya, when I talk of emotinal health, when I talk of literature and its effects on mind, I meant only these effects. That is why I told the ILites that the sign of a emotionally balanced mind devoid of jealousy and other negative qualities is the presence of tears when reading that touching scene. (Sriranjani made fun of it is a different issue; I too enjoyed her sense of humour)

I know may literary giants who are still in the grips of many negative qualities. These people are in the movies, in politics every where. For these people that scene simply looks like a clever use of words. They may appreciate Kambars sharpness. But a person who sheds tears on reading those words, she cannot harm anybody in the world, let alone her sibling or some one close to her.

I had to take this thread from ageing of the body. So I just had the same name. But in the context, my use of the term young mind, means a mind which is intellectually alert and emotionally healthy. So John Nash scored on intellectual alertness though his mind sat on an aged body. (Though I am not very sure of the emotional health of his mind, especially after coming to know that his son is an incurable schizophrenic.)

I must give it to you, you gave another dimension to the ageing of mind.
    Welcome back Vidya once again.
    regards,
    Varalotti

8. varalotti

Could Not see a trace of malice there, Vidya!

Dear Vidya,

I had a magnifying glass to scan your earlier post. I could see some depth of understanding, some new thinking and a creative supplement to the original post. And I could not see any trace of malice there. And the fact that you could write such posts shows you have a young mind, not withstanding your inability to solve a sudoku puzzle or your ignorance of gravity and relativity.

But I have to give a rejoinder as to paruthi paal. Aruham pul is again meant for cattle. Ella oorlayum maadu, aadu than pulla thingum. But when I said aruham pul juice there was no objection from you. But you object about paruthi paal being used for human consumption. Because you have heard of the former and not of the latter. I only hope,wish and pray that to comment on the thing one has not heard of or used to, is not a sign of mental ageing. ha ha.
    Thanks for the soft post as well, which added colour to the thread.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I am a spade!!!

Okay Sridhar,
    For this once, I will not mind being a Spade...of all things:)))

L, Kamla

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Vandhana had replied for all of us Ilites, we are after many things to keep ourselves young in mind too.
    I, for one, am trying always to keep my mind active, though I am not able to keep my body young.
    Happy pongal to you.