1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ageing of the Mind – Ladies, This Time It’s A Warning Bell!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 9, 2007.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

You could tell your friend that ILs being sooooooo young and lively, they may not have read your post becos. its title carries the word "Aging", a word which has no place in the mental processes of youth : hence not many rejoinders :mrgreen:

Jokes apart, you have said all there is to say, the thorough analyser that you are, so what do you expect us to write other than Aamaam saami !

Just one thought, though : The vitality and agility of the aging mind is directly connected to physical health. Even a very vivacious person can turn dull with advancing age, if the body starts acting up due to general wear and tear or debilities.In such a condition the mind becomes completely preoccupied with the present physical distress and avenues for relief from it. Poor health not only causes physical fatigue but psychological and emotional fatigue too. A person afflicted with such apathy and ennui can hardly be expected to hover a pencil above a sudoku grid or jump upon the latest release from Varalotti Rengaswami with any enthusiasm. Of course there are those exceptions who rise above physical infirmity and become postergirls for the slogan " Mind Over Matter", but they are just that - exceptions.
    So, while we keep the brain ticking with all those brain exercises, let us not forget our calcium , vitamins and aerobics too.
    VS

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Mental Ageing

Dear Varalotti Sir,

Yes you have taken very good topic for this weeks discussion. As it is suggested by one of our member itself shows that we have given a thought about it much earlier. So as any other health tip to maintain our physical health these suggestions are most welcome. You have very clearly explained it with examples.

All of us have to deal with this intellectual ageing and emotional ageing. To be honest yes I have aged intellectually and also emotionally to an extent. When I analysed I found out we all deal with it efficiently unknowingly to a certain extent. We deal with it when we teach our children. We also memorize a poem or get to know so many new things when we are involved with them. Yes reading a good book gives you the opportunity to deal with the intellectual ageing and emotional ageing. If we possess a caring and loving attitude towards everyone that itself is enough for to handle the emotional ageing.

What more the reply to your post itself is a nice way for me to keep the intellectual and emotional ageing under control.

regards
    vidhi

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hats off to you, clever accountant!!!!!!

Hello Sridhar,

You sure are one clever writer - first you talk about ageing of body, talk liberally about make-ups, cosmetics, beauty therapies & make us all fall for the topic, catch our attention completely and then you come up with a serious topic of ageing of mind; a warning bell.

Another fantastic post on ageing of mind. It sure is a warning bell to everyone. but then, do you think we ILItes will ever age????? With such thought provoking threads you post which literally leaves our brain ticking overtime - and of course, the replies which itself provides matter to form a huge literary work.

Along with scrabble, sudokus & mind games we shall include your threads tooo, Sridhar. Keeping an active body is again crucial to have an active mind and that part is taken care of by our kids, who always keep us active.
    I'm sure it would be a healthy ageing for all of us, ILites.

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

this one's for Vandhana

Hi Vandhana,

i just loooooved your reply, sweetheart!!!
    toooo goood to read.

Love,

5. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

Do you know why ladies r atleast 5-6 yours younger than their spouses because they mature fast mentally and they can foresee many issues better than men :)) whn it comes to mental ageing we ladies should be given a warm encouraging appreciation bcz as a daughter wife mother mother in law and a grand mother we mature at each stage learn so many life facts and carry the household wht great respect .
    Earlier centuries woman v v happy bcz they jst nodded their heads to wotever their hubbies said or were under joint family system so they had no say cooking cleaning and caring for the family was wot they knew with wotever little education they had they just went through great epics which they imparted to their offsprings.
    Now education has brought a lot of change in the thinking of ladies and they want to be more independant and r really more confidant tht space is their limit :))
    naturally ageing is a v intresting topic to be discussed
    whn we age physically we can groom ourselfs wht the costiliest cosmetics and give a make up to ur face but our mental makeup cannot be marred .
    As kids we learn how to take care of ourselves but as we reach our adoloscence we learn whom to avoid whom to tlk how to make frns whom to trust whom not to this shows the maturity in a gal frm whn shes in 13 yrs old her mother says get back early after 5 30 u sdnt venture out :)) a gal learns frm there to be careful dont u think her age has increased frm a happy childhood to restrictful preadoloscent age ??
    whn a gal is married they tell her to take care of her inlws kitchen is handed over to her household responisbities and her own life starts at each step we r ageing
    parenthood mothering a child for the first time teaches so many things in life tht we never learn it is a boon for ladies to learn and life a wholistic life i pity men for not getting the experience which we gain during our last trimester
    value of mother comes to our experience only on our delivary table whn its our mother who shares and teaches u how to cuddle ur baby
    each day in a ladies life is like a challenge whn frm morng cofi to night dinner she arranges for her family inspite of her physical and mental health supporting her to do those chores each day is a new lesson to learn and we grow a lil older
    y do u think ladies r crazy for cosmetics or keeping themselves trim ??
    U men age out happily sipping the steaming cofi coloring ur grey hair and wearing the latest trendy tshirts even in ur 60s where as the same lady who comes to 30 feels shes old bcz of all the physical and mental strain she takes and if she ventures out for a relaxing massage or spa to keep her confidance high u make fun of her tht she applies a coat of powder as a wall paint!!!
    after marriage many ladies stop bothering abt their physcial appearance and get used to family life they think wer married now its ok however we r but many men ( almost all men) try to round up excersise and maintain themselfs wht smooth flesh bcz definetly a wife takes more care than a mother ( all moms do forgive me for this :)) ) whn yrs pass ladies look older than men and thn they realise they need to do something abt themselves b4 its too late
    y too late for wot??? its for their own husbands my dear frns they want to look better and atleast few yrs younger bcz insecurity develops and its v clear many ppl tlk of some itches which men develop 7 yrs ( few) yrs of marriage :))
    see this is also ageing which makes them think ahead
    definetly mental ageing is not a warning bell but a welcome for many bcz most of the lifes bitterness is taken with a sweet smile :)
    thinkover maybe i am wrong but this is my perspective
    promotion frm mother to grand mother inbetween a mother of growing child teaches so many things whn most of us wud have askd our parents y did u give birth to us but our moms took it sweetly wud have give mental strength to face such qtns
    whn one of spouse is no more and as a dependant on our own kids ageing takes place in volumes life of women is really a great challenge and struggle which age them every day after they open their eyes maybe the happiest days of a gal whn they were below age 8 after which she learns to stay away frm uncles who touch them unnesecarily in their smooth growing soft flesh
    am i wrong????????????

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Happy Pongal and Happy Kaanum Pongal!

Most Gracious ILites,
    This Sat's thread is some thing for relaxation and celebrate pongal with joy and happiness.
    Shed all the heaviness that came into you with my mental ageing thread.
    Lighten up, Brighten Up and Fresh'n up.

இனிய பொங்கல் நல் வாழ்த்துக்கள்
    என்றும் அன்புடன்
    வரலொட்டி

7. varalotti

First Response! A Beautiful Response, Krishnaamma!

Hi Krishnaama,

That was a great response. Yes, registering in IL is also a mental and an intellectual stimulant, provided one reads all the posts and actively participates in the discussions.

Ramayana and Mahabaratha are just examples. The literature examples you have quoted are equally good. Even reading a good short story or a snippet stimulates you intellectually (if it is a crime investigation plot or there is a brainy discussion) and grows you emotionally, if it is concerned with ones feelings.

After reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance I was on an intellectual high for months on end. Similarly after reading Conversations With God by Neal Donald Walsch I was emotionally uplifted and my Love for God got itself established firmly in the depths of my mind.

Thanks a lot for Krishnaama for your response and for dropping the Sir from my name.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Sweet Response, Pallavi!

That was a sweet response, Pallavi. But honestly my third post was only to cover up my error. I should have announced the new thread first in the old thread and then should have posted the new thread. Instead I first posted the new thread and then went for the announcement. That took the old one to the top. To correct it I had to make a small post.

You said it right, Pallavi. For me interacting with you all in IL is an intellectual stimulant and an emotional growth exercise. Some senior ILites advised me that there is no need to individually respond to the members posts. But I find that this half an hour I spend on the responses enhances my writing skills. I have to think fast and think rightly and then pen the correct responses.

Sorry to know about your ill-mannered colleague. But having such a colleague is a stimulant for you. You need to work around him and you need to be on your toes constantly. That way you will always be alert.

What your mother said "கற்றது கையளவு கல்லாதது உலகளவு" is an eternal truth. But what I am stressing here is not things learnt, but the learning process, in which we should be constantly engaged to stay young mentally.
    Thanks Pallavi,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

As usual, a wonderful response, Vandhana!

Dear Vandhana,

I know Vandhana that you read the thread first, for I saw you reading soon after I posted it.
    Thanks for the nice words.

And I am happy that my words excited some action in you and all the ILites. I just have to leave a word of caution here.

Normally when people want to do something, they always ask, "whether this is useful for me?" In many cases useful means making money. Thats the whole problem and a major factor which prevents mental growth.

When I was travelling in a train I happened to see another CA who is known to me. He saw the book I was reading.
    "Sridhar, a CA reading a physics book! Are you nuts?"
    I saw that he was reading a tax journal. And told him,
    "My friend you are still at work. While I am relaxing."
    I know anything more he will never understand.
    The book I was then reading was Tao of Physics by Fritjof Copra. This book talks about quantum physics and then tells us that what Vedanta says corresponds to the latest discoveries in physics. Never in my live had I been so stimulated.

Looking for an use in an activity (whether it is reading, gardening or tailoring) is like looking for a purpose in dancing. You dont dance to go to the other end of the room. Which you can do more efficiently by walking or running. The purpose of dancing is just that - dancing.
    When I was apprenticing for CA, a senior apprentice who looks for intellectual stimulation, took me to the toilet and explained how a modern flush tank works. That was really stimulating.

Vandhana, your post makes me to pour out more and more on this subject.
    thanks once again,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Thanks, Faultless one!

Dear Anjana,

You have rightly said that passion is the answer. Passion represents the need to do something in life. Your observation is also right. People who had passion in their youth live long and live happily.

Thanks for suggesting this topic and thanks again for suggesting another topic.
    Love,
    sridhar