1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Snacks

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I remember, back in India, when I was working I used to have 2 full glasses of Ragi porridge...Also Dhaliya porridge is good enough ( Dhaliya - Broken wheat). YOu can either have it wit Sugar and milk or Salt and buttermilk.

Maya - Simple dish, how about making it crunchy by using sandwich maker or hot using toaster.

As for ice cream thing, I tried using flavored yoghurt by Yopleit, but was shocked to see it has an Ingredient called Kosher Gelatin, which is animal fat. I am a vegan, so tht did not suit me. For those who don't mind having can go for this.

I tried ice cream with fruits, and it was tasty and filling..This is for those who have ice cream cravings like me...

Here in US, u get those flaxseed powdered which u can mix in Cereals, milk etc. It looks like bournvita or horlicks.

With puffed rice, I make Bhel Puri..So any other calorie free item that I can make ?

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

How to make Dhaliya Porridge? Also where do you buy Ragi and how to cook it? mUst seem like dumb questions sorry

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Chitra - you get raagi powder in the Indian grocery store - I recently found it here - the midwest is a bit behind in stocking up these things. If you read the posts by Sriniketan and Vandhana - you can see how to cook it. I followed their directions - it is very good. I grew up drinking kanji that my mom would make - she put all sorts of pulses, etc in it as well as raagi. Raagi is a good start - think you will like.

4. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Hi ilites,

Oh! you all have come out with wonderful suggestions. Here is my part for afternoon snacks-

1) Sundal
    2) Oats Porridge
    3) Soak 'Aval" (Beaten Rice) in milk, adding either sugar or jaggery for 20 to 30 mins and have.
    4) Noudles
    5) Idiyappam

regards

Vanaja

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Happy to note that you are off to a good start, Shoba! Keep it up!
    Sriniketan

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear ILites,
    I read here that many ILites have suggested to take Splenda/artificial sweetener as sugar substitute. But not many of us are aware of the fact that how bad it is for our health.
    I had read many reports about the invention and side effects of these artificial sweetner (especially SPLENDA). Splenda is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation. It is true that the Splenda molecule is comprised of sucrose (sugar) — except that three of the hydroxyl groups in the molecule have been replaced by three chlorine atoms. While some industry experts claim the molecule is similar to table salt or sugar, other independent researchers say it has more in common with pesticides. That’s because the bonds holding the carbon and chlorine atoms together are more characteristic of a chlorocarbon than a salt — and most pesticides are chlorocarbons.
    Once it gets to the gut, sucralose goes largely unrecognized in the body as food — that’s why it has no calories. The majority of people don’t absorb a significant amount of Splenda in their small intestine — about 15% by some accounts. The irony is that your body tries to clear unrecognizable substances by digesting them, so it’s not unlikely that the healthier your gastrointestinal system is, the more you’ll absorb the chlorinated molecules of Splenda.
    Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain. These show up at one end of the spectrum — in the people who have an allergy or sensitivity to the sucralose molecule. But no one can say to what degree consuming Splenda affects the rest of us.
    Aside from Splenda, the most popular artificial sweeteners are aspartame (and its cousin, neotame) and saccharin. Foods with these additives are marketed to women as low–fat, low–sugar, and low–calorie.
    Diet programs like Weight Watchers sell low–calorie foods that trade real nutrients for artificial ingredients, including sugar substitutes. I think it’s great to try and lose unwanted weight, but I question whether these packaged items should be marketed as healthy choices. Good nutrition needs to take more into account than calories and fat content — especially when it comes to how many artificial sweeteners we’re eating and what we’re mixing them with.
    Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. I think any amount of formaldehyde in your brain is too much.
    Aspartame has had the most complaints of any food additive available to the public. It’s been linked with MS, lupus, fibromyalgia and other central nervous disorders. Possible side effects of aspartame include headaches, migraines, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, nausea, intestinal discomfort, skin rash, and nervousness. Some researchers have linked aspartame with depression and manic episodes. It may also contribute to male infertility.
    Saccharin, the first widely available chemical sweetener, is hardly mentioned any more. Better-tasting NutraSweet took its place in almost every diet soda, but saccharin is still an ingredient in some prepared foods, gum, and over-the-counter medicines. Remember those carcinogen warnings on the side of products that contained saccharin? They no longer appear because industry testing showed that saccharin only caused bladder cancer in rats. Most researchers agree that in sufficient doses, saccharin is carcinogenic in humans.
    Artificial sweeteners are body toxins. They are never a good idea for pregnant women, children or teenagers — despite the reduced sugar content — because of possible irreversible cell damage. If you decide it’s worth the risks, then go ahead, but pay attention to your body and your cravings. Once you start tracking your response to artificial sweeteners, it may surprise you.

So, please do take care care of your health and search for every detail about anything which seems too good to your conscience. I have taken the details about splenda and aspartame etc from different published reports .
    Regards.

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

As for Dhaliya, you can boil 1/2 a cup in 3/4 cups of water. It absorbs all water and becomes thick. Add milk and sugar to it or buttermilk and salt to it.
    As for ragi, boil it same way on stove with lesser water. Milk and sugar addition and you are done. Watch for the tendency to add too much sugar.

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Meeta
    Did you write how to use flaxseed ? Thanks

9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Artificial sweeteners are body toxins. They are never a good idea for pregnant women, children or teenagers — despite the reduced sugar content — because of possible irreversible cell damage. If you decide it’s worth the risks, then go ahead, but pay attention to your body and your cravings. Once you start tracking your response to artificial sweeteners, it may surprise you.

So, please do take care care of your health and search for every detail about anything which seems too good to your conscience. I have taken the details about splenda and aspartame etc from different published reports .
    Regards.

Hi Meeta,

Your name itself sweet.:-D
    Thank you for sharing this message with us. I think this will help many ladies who does not know about the side effects of 'Splenda':confused:

Yesterday I was asking my husband that is it advicable to take 'Splenda' regularly as some ILs are saying that they will use them instead of Sugar. And one IL in another thread she mentioned that she will use it for husband and children too.:-(

After seeing that I asked him. Now you explained well. He also said the same. If we can cut sugar it is good for our health. If you switch to some other type of sugar,that is sugar subsitute, that too artificial, surely there will be some side effects.

So please ladies think twice before using them. That too for children.:-D
    Thanks once again Meeta. Keep writing.

10. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    No, I have no idea about flaxseeds..........you know I am not much into cooking......and is the laziest lady in this whole IL to even talk about cooking........but I had read some others has told about Flaxseeds..........

Hi Krishnaamma,
    Just one year ago, I had no idea of these things but one of my senior scientists told me about this in some context and I was shocked........now, when I saw ladies are more prone to diet drinks or taking artificial sugar, I thought to share these with our ILites.
    You know, its amazing that jaggery/brown sugar is better than sugar, so if we can switch to that it will be great for our health.
    Thank you all.
    Regards.